Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Musical Help Required

I'm trying to put together another cruise CD, this time for the Mexican Riviera (as opposed to the Caribbean)

I can think of 2 songs, something about "oh -oh Mexico" by James Taylor, and a lyric about "Santa Catalina" (off the Calif. coast), but I can't remember the name of either song.
Can anybody help?
And while we're on the subject, has anyone got any other ideas for a Mexican related song?
Thanks!

donna
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Admiral

The song you are thinking of is entitled "26 Miles" by the Four Preps.

I think a CD for Mexico has to have a large collection of Herb Alpert. Tijuana Taxi and Spanish Flea would both be great additions to your CD.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Thanks Marc, great suggestions! And I found 26 Miles. No wonder I couldn't find it, I had the wrong title!!

donna
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
First Mate

James Taylor's song is called, Mexico, Buffett has a version of this as well. Speaking of Buffett, why not Desperation Samba, Manana, or One Particular Harbour?
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

From high school Spanish - how about Cielieto Linda or La Cucharacha! Have no idea who might have recorded either.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Donna, When we were in Mexico awhile back we found the mexicans in love with Santana. There are a few cuts on thier latest album that actually have the feel of Mexico. I'll try to find the cd that we actually heard in a Mexican cantina and get back.........MD
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Admiral

I am of no help as all that comes to mind is the Mexican Hat dance.
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Funny Jen!!

Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions. My list is shaping up!

I'm still trying to track down another one I can remember about Rose's Cantina. I think somebody gets shot in that one....maybe not so good.....

donna
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Admiral

go to Amazon.com..select music...enter "Funky Fiesta" by Michael O'Neill and listen to the tracks and if you like one download it for .99....He is part Mexican and part Irish..he is a smooth jazz guitar sideman, I met him on the Conquest on the Smooth Jazz Cruise in 2005, neat guy ...and I feel obligated to have every CM have at least one smooth jazz track on their IPOD/MP3 player when they cruise 8) 8)

didn't the Bee Gees do a Mexican music tribute CD
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
Funny Jen!!

Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions. My list is shaping up!

I'm still trying to track down another one I can remember about Rose's Cantina. I think somebody gets shot in that one....maybe not so good.....

donna
You are thinking of El Paso by Marty Robbins. Definitely not a song for a Mexican cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Admiral

That 's the one Marc, I can sing all the lyrics, but could not think of the title or the artist! Now that you mention it, not a great song for a cruise...
The search continues...

donna
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Admiral

If you want a great C.D. for the Mexican Riviera, I highly suggest "La Cantina" by Lila (Pronounced Leela) Downs. It is a fantastic collection of traditional Mexican party songs that are amazing. She is from Oaxaca, Mexico. Her mother is Zapotec native american and her father is actually from Scotland, strangely enough. She sings in Spanish, English, Mayan, Zapotec, and more.

Her band is from all over the world and each musician is as accomplished as is she. My favorite is the rock n' roll harpist.

My favorite song is "La Cumbia del Mole." (They are all good) "La Cumbia del Mole" is the first cut about Oaxaca and the making of Mole, the famous sauce made of chocolate and lots of other ingredients. An English version is at the end of the C.D. Lila has several you tube songs available too. Check 'em out.

As a side note, watch the Monte Alban one. This video will show you how incredible Monte Alban really is, by far a better ruins than Macchu Pichu I.M.H.O. You'll want to go there on a land cruise. Lila's song that she sings over the video is haunting.

You may have heard her singing in the movie "Frida" based on the life of Frida Kahlo. Every Lila Downs C.D. is excellent. I own them all.

I also suggest the 2 disc CD be Vincente Fernandez and his son Alejandro Fernandez, again every cut is fantastic.

Other cuts: "Seniorita" by Omar Torres

"La Llorona" by Lila Downs, Omar Torres, or Trio Fantasia (All three versions are great.)

I have an extensive collection of Mexican music. I'll keep thinking for you...Hmmmmmm?????
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Musical Help Required

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm trying to put together another cruise CD, this time for the Mexican Riviera (as opposed to the Caribbean)

I can think of 2 songs, something about "oh -oh Mexico" by James Taylor, and a lyric about "Santa Catalina" (off the Calif. coast), but I can't remember the name of either song.
Can anybody help?
And while we're on the subject, has anyone got any other ideas for a Mexican related song?
Thanks!
I don't recall the names of either of those songs, but try a web search with the key word "lyrics" followed by the line(s) that you remember in quotation marks. It probably will turn up two or three sites with the complete lyrics, including the respective titles and the names of the respective composers.

JTOL, Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville" would also be suitable since Mexican Riviera cruises stop in Mexico's tequilla region....

Norm.