Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Boo boos and Faux pas

There is an interesting article in the June Conde Naste Traveler, all about customs and etiquette, in Italy, Greece, Croatia, and Turkey.

Have you ever felt awkward abroad, or think you might have made a faux pas? Just reading the article made me nervous:)

Who knew that crossing your legs in conversation, in Turkey, with someone of a higher status is thought to be rude, or in some parts, burping is considered a compliment!

In Croatia, never say yes, the first time you are offered somethiong.

In Italy, try to eat with your right hand, there is a lingering religeous bias against the left hand....

In Greece, don't flat out refuse food, and do tip , but not too much...

And, just as an aside, there are soooo many ways to give someone the bird:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

I guess I should stay at home, I'm sure that I could single handedly create some sort of international conspiracy unwittingly.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Jen, I would be right beside you, in the American Embassy, calling for help!

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Just look at the differences in England and the United States... and we speak the same language!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Admiral

Trip, I saw this exact same post in another forum; a couple of you must have read the same article. We just received our new Conde Nast today; I need to read the article.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Since I am left handed that could create a problem. My right hand is the one that had the surgery, that finger is stiff and does not bend. I can see me now trying to use a fork in a hand with the finger stuck straight up. Jen and Trip, move over/

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Marc, the article was quite interesting, and it goes to show you, how, without meaning to, what you say, and how you do it, and a gesture which is innocouous here, could surely offend your host country.

A little homework, before going, would be a wise decision. But, I admit, it could be daunting to remember it all:)

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Has it occurred to anyone that folks in those countries might be AS educated, or even MORE educated than the average tourist who pops into their area? MAYBE they might just cut you a little slack. You do have FOREIGNER written on your forehead, after all.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Default Boo Boos and Faux Pas

Laura, I'm right there with you. Both Keith and I are left handed. We've been to Italy, though, and never had a problem. Just lucky that time. I guess.

Judy
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

I am left handed as is my girl freind, who is Italian and never heard of that. I have to read that article. I wonder if the "folks from other countries worry about making a faux Pas when they visit here in the good old USA?
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Admiral

I have to mention this. As a child in Holland, I never ever got hit for being left handed. It was never an issue, it was just normal. No one ever tried to corect me. We come to Canada, and in school, a teacher whips me, yes whips me with a ruler over my left hand every time I picked up a pencil with my left hand. It got so bad that I refused to write, as I simply could not with my right hand. Eventually I was sent to a psycholgist who asked me why I refused to do my school work. I explained to him that every time I pick up a pencil I get the ruler cracked over my hand. He asked me if he made sure no one hit me any more, if I would start to do my work again. I said yes, but it really turned me off to school for a long time. I should mention at the time the teacher thought we were backward immigrants. Ironically, years later while working in the emergency room of a large hospital, her son was admitted, he passed away of gun shot wounds in a settling of accounts( drugs) . I saw her, and she saw me, and my name and said "I think I know you". I let it go, but all I wanted to say to her was "Ya your the b-tch that whipped me daily for using my left hand and who thought we were backward immigrants". My son is a leftie, some people made remarks,( oh he is reaching with his left, try and encourage him to use the right) they could see from my glare what I thought of this.......
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Boo boos and Faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip

In Croatia, never say yes, the first time you are offered somethiong.

We do say yes the first time only if we are being offered wine or Macaruni (croatian dish).

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas