Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Captain

Default Complainers banned from cruising??

This was an interesting read first thing this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24711659/

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Admiral

It definitely sucks if you have been banned, however, I feel RCCL is totally within in rights to do so, for whatever legal reason. The couple concerned appear to be hypercomplainers who document every little transgression real or percieved and tries to use it to milk the cruiseline for every cent they can muster.

I have to come down on RCCLs side on this one.

However, I beleive RCCL crossed the line when they tried to pressure Paul Motter and the moderator of "Brand X Cruise Board" into modifying reviews.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Passenger

It will be interesting to keep up with the "Morans" and see what complaints they might have against NCL.

Claudia
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I found it interesting that Paul Motter was intervieweed and he said he had been asked to remove complaining posts here from some of the crusielines.

I did not like that and I defientely feel that was not within the crusieline's rights to ask that of a public messegeboard.

Now as to the couple complaining, if half what they said was true, especially that they were stuck in a stateroom smelling of urine and feces because of their toilet backing up and there was nowhere to move them to-well I would have complained myself, and I would not have felt $500 near a compensation for something like that. That would be unhealthy-the smell is not the worst of that situation.

but you know as I am not a fan of RCI and have not booked a cruise with them in nearly 3 years, so I do not go to the RCI forums and read the threads there.

Maybe this couple did give cronic complaints to get freebies. I would not know as I have never read their posts.

But if I am ever in a room that smells of sewage-hey-do whatever is needed-make some of the crew double/triple up and give me their dinky room or give me a broom closet with a palet to sleep on and allow me to shower up in the spa. Offer to fly me home early, but please, DO NOT leave me in a room that reeks of sewage.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I didn't check out their other complaints, but I wouldn't stay in a room contaminated with raw sewage.

Melody
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Passenger

I have to take the side of the Moran's on this one. They gave Royal Caribbean the benefit of the doubt time and time again and yet they still had valid reason to complain.
Royal Caribbean has to remember that the most important factor in making their bottom line is the customer. Not the ships or the destinations.

To quote the old adage :

"The customer is ALLWAYS right. Even when they are wrong they are still a customer".
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I was just over on the "Brand X" cruise board and confirmed my suspicions as to who the banned folks were. They indeed are the kind who would keep a journal of all of thier complaints regardless of how petty and voice them in endless letters to the cruise line, all with the purpose of maximizing cruise credit. RCCL called them on their little game.

I stand by my judgement that RCCL was justified.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I read the artickle and my first thought was "oh no not NCL". I happen to frequent this line and like it quite abit. Each person has what they like or not like, and NCL has more positives for us than negatives.

That said, the thing that bothers me the most is cruise lines asking moderators etc to revise or take down bad reviews, even if they dont agree, it has to stand as it stands. The cruise lines as far as I am concerned can re buff and write their point of view, but I find it really big brother strong arm to see a cruise line asking/expecting any one to remove or revise a post.

We are all entitled to say what we personally liked or disliked on a cruise.

I have been on cruises with many good things, but I also have had bad things, there is good and bad with anything we do in life, my good and bad will not be the same for the person next to me but I have the right to express what is good and bad for me.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you read their actual review, you can see it's not problamatic at all...Other issues happened to make the line do this...It was mentioned, that the possiblity might have been the fact they mentioned they compensation to the readers in the thread.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
If you read their actual review, you can see it's not problamatic at all...Other issues happened to make the line do this...It was mentioned, that the possiblity might have been the fact they mentioned they compensation to the readers in the thread.
But is it really wrong to say what the cruise line did to settle the matter? I dont know that it is.

Also, no way, come hell or high water will I stay in a room that has been contaminated with raw sewage. I am immunocompromised and this would put me at great risk. That room would really have had to have been taken apart and really cleaned to get me back in it. If it still smelled, then its not clean.

But having said that, the biggest thing that catches me in this was the fact that Moderators including Paul Motter were approached to revise or change a review. To me the cruise line should respond if they have a problem with what some one wrote, and many do write unfairly, but the moderators have no business changing reviews or removing them at the request of the cruise lines, and if this is done, then people would not trust postings or trust reviews from moderators etc.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

I haven't researched this whole thing yet, however, having said that,,,,many, many, many years ago, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I sailed on the Carnival "Festival", and the sewer backed up in our shower. We, of course, reported the problem, and they worked on it, and worked on it, and were never able to really fix it. They dumped disinfectant in it, and we finally wound up stuffing a towel in the drain, to stop the smell. No, there were no other cabins available, and thank God, it was a short cruise. Carnival did, IMO, everything they could to take care of the problem, but to no avail. They offered us $100, which we promptly turned down. Upon our return home, we got a call from Carnival, and a 100% refund on the cruise.

Ken
"Sky"
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Delf, I will agree with you that staying in a cabin with that problem, could be dangerous, and quite uncomfortable, to say the least. The issues arose, I believe, after her review was posted, which as stated by many, was not an issue.

From what I gather, as well, this couple has a long history of complaints, so the posters say...

I would say bravo to Paul Motter, and other boards for not aquiesing[sp] to the cruise lines to remove a post.

This part bothers me: I say MYOB!! I cannot magine doing this:(
Some went so far as to contact Royal Caribbean’s president and chief executive, Adam Goldstein to complain about the Morans getting any compensation at all.

Their willingness to share the good news compensation, does seem to be the "straw" though. Also, writing a "good " review, then slamming, seemed quite strange.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Here is what I don't understand the Morans said they were happy with the compensation yet they still felt the need to complain about RCCL. If RCCL satisfied the issue then why the fuss? I agree I wouldn't want to stay in a room with raw sewage, however, this doesn't appear to be an isolated thing with them. If every cruise they take with RCCL they complain to receive compensation, then RCCL is within their rights to say "we don't want you as customers."

However, I agree with everyone else that RCCL should not try and have bad reviews removed for the cruise websites. Good for Paul Motter for refusing to remove the review. I added the link to the story to make it easier to access. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24711659/

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Admiral

There are some people who just cannot be happy at all.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, some people just can't be happy, no matter what. Its unfortunate, but some of the complaints, I think, were justified while others seemed to just get them more credit. There may be more than what what we've read, but I doubt RCL would ban anyone without good reason.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
First Mate

I guess I have just not been paying attention to the complaining posts.

Do you guys know whose these people are ?

I thought I saw a post about "Bermuda and a storm", but I really didn't read it. Now I can't find the post.

Am I just totally clueless ?

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
First Mate

RCCL is a "mass-market" line...... it seems the Morans want a SilverSeas experience without paying for it. No one should have to stay in a cabin with raw sewage, but these people have evidently found plenty to complain about without it. Anyone who keeps a running list of complaints lives for complaining.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Since there are two threads on this topic I'll copy and past my post here too.

I think the Morons should be compensated for the raw sewage in their cabin.
However when they got their 20% compensation from RCCL they were happy and booked the next cruise. So now they got $500. on top of the 20%.

Quote:
ship’s hotel director apologizing for the inconvenience and offered the couple a 20 percent discount on their next cruise. The Morans felt that was fair compensation and went and booked their next cruise with the line.

RCCL did the right thing in banning them from cruising with them. I would have done the same.
Out of 6 voyages the Morans had 5 complaints.

Quote:
birthday greeting being delivered to the wrong stateroom to her husband being locked out on the balcony for three hours because the door latch jammed

Also the article stated...

Quote:
Feisty Brenda Moran is certainly one not to hold back her opinion

Maybe Mr. Moran needed three hours on the balcony without the feisty Mrs. M

I am glad they got some compensation for the raw sewage and also glad they are banned. I would not want to find myself on a RCCL ship with Feisty Mrs. M.

ALso these are public boards where cruisers are free to state their likes/dislikes/issues/problems on any cruiseline. That is what I thought anyway.

I feel sorry for the cruise ship staff that have to deal with people like this.

Good luck to NCL! The Morons are coming!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
I was just over on the "Brand X" cruise board and confirmed my suspicions as to who the banned folks were. They indeed are the kind who would keep a journal of all of thier complaints regardless of how petty and voice them in endless letters to the cruise line, all with the purpose of maximizing cruise credit. RCCL called them on their little game.

I stand by my judgement that RCCL was justified.
I wonder if this same couple was on the Connie transatlantic last fall? I know on our roll call at CC, they complained and complained and complained about broken tiles intheir bathroom - they claimed there was mold growing in the broken tiles.

I told them they should have asked the steward to reclean that area as all he would need to do is take a little bleach or vinegar and scrub there a lttle harder to get rid of it.

I told them our shower at home, is not level and water tends to stand in it so I dayly wipe out the excess water and spray vinegar and this keeps the mold from coming there-if I missed one day we would have mold again.

The these foolish people actually said I was "ridiculous", who would want to smell bleach or vinegar.

I thought to myself, do these people KNOW what bathroom cleaners have in them? !

They pretty much killed our roll call, for after we returned, everyone was posting, talking about all the fun we had had, but these people's constant posts of complaints stopped everyone from posting.

If it was these same people I find that hilirious! as they told us they would never cruise Celebrity again as they had only been offered a 10% credit for putting up with the mold. They said they would only cruise Royal Caribbean in the future as RCI treated them much better! ! It would be hilarious if these were the same people!
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I read the artickle and my first thought was "oh no not NCL". I happen to frequent this line and like it quite abit. Each person has what they like or not like, and NCL has more positives for us than negatives.

That said, the thing that bothers me the most is cruise lines asking moderators etc to revise or take down bad reviews, even if they dont agree, it has to stand as it stands. The cruise lines as far as I am concerned can re buff and write their point of view, but I find it really big brother strong arm to see a cruise line asking/expecting any one to remove or revise a post.

We are all entitled to say what we personally liked or disliked on a cruise.

I have been on cruises with many good things, but I also have had bad things, there is good and bad with anything we do in life, my good and bad will not be the same for the person next to me but I have the right to express what is good and bad for me.
I agree. I also feel the lines should not do this.

BESIDES, we can all tell when a poster is being ridicilous! Hey, people like these, will actually bring RCI MORE business, not less!
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yeoman

I just finished reading the story provided by our OP and this was one paragraph that jumped right out at me.......

"In an e-mail obtained by Tripso, one Celebrity executive cites Cruise Critic’s message boards. “They love finding fault with Azamara even when things go great,”...."

Having once been a member of the "dark side", and left because of all the rudeness and hateful postings to members that goes on over there, this really explains the crux of the problem, IMHO.
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
I just finished reading the story provided by our OP and this was one paragraph that jumped right out at me.......

"In an e-mail obtained by Tripso, one Celebrity executive cites Cruise Critic’s message boards. “They love finding fault with Azamara even when things go great,”...."

Having once been a member of the "dark side", and left because of all the rudeness and hateful postings to members that goes on over there, this really explains the crux of the problem, IMHO.
I wonder if CC banned them also.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I can understand complaining when it is justified. I too would complain loudly about sewage in my room. This couple complained about every little thing. They were making a career out of complaining to obtain compensation and large discounts on cruises. That is very wrong and I can understand RCI banning them. Then posting it on a forum would encourage others to do the same. Again I understand RCI's point.
Thank you Paul Motter for not giving in to pressure from RCI. We as members have a right to read all the facts.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old April 24th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

so all was fine until members of CC contacted RCCL... and everyone is ok with that??? i sure hope none of you piss of anyone at CC
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhawk60
so all was fine until members of CC contacted RCCL... and everyone is ok with that??? i sure hope none of you piss of anyone at CC
I find that a little unfair. I have pissed off plenty of people over there but no cruiseline has banned me. But then I also don't look for reasons to complain so that I can can a refund or cut rate.
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
I find that a little unfair. I have pissed off plenty of people over there but no cruiseline has banned me. But then I also don't look for reasons to complain so that I can can a refund or cut rate.
i am sorry you find my comment unfair. but the fact is i doubt any one went looking to get locked out on a balcony for 3 hours. i will give the couple the benefit of the doubt that they had issues, and if RCCL gave them credit there then was something on record. i will stand up and fight for anyones right to complain. i even defend RCCL's right to ask the couple not to return. where i have a problem is how RCCL came to the conclusion to band the couple. i dont know if there relationship between RCCL and CC but i would prefer not to have my cruise options, right to complain, or treatment by cruise lines dictated by a hand full of people!!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
i am sorry you find my comment unfair. but the fact is i doubt any one went looking to get locked out on a balcony for 3 hours. i will give the couple the benefit of the doubt that they had issues, and if RCCL gave them credit there then was something on record. i will stand up and fight for anyones right to complain. i even defend RCCL's right to ask the couple not to return. where i have a problem is how RCCL came to the conclusion to band the couple. i dont know if there relationship between RCCL and CC but i would prefer not to have my cruise options, right to complain, or treatment by cruise lines dictated by a hand full of people!!
That was a valid complaint, and NO I would not want to be in a room reeking of sewage. (another problem, different cruise) However, other numerous complaints were minuscule. I understand the reason the line banned them is they posted they received a $500 refund on CC.
Can you blame RCI? This would just encourage others to look for reasons to complain and something tells me RCI would not like it any better if the compensation was told on cruisemates, cruiseaddicts or any other message board.
think about it-why weren't these people unhappy with RCI with all the problems they claimed to choose not to cruise that line? Why? Because many of the complaints were manufactured to get refunds and onboard credits. These guys had found a way to "cruise cheap."
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Don't really want to get into this, but it does seem it was a vendetta of some CC members who got involved. I have shown a few people some of the gossip and discussion. Frankly, why people would have cared this much is beyond me. But there is no way to know WHY RCI made this choice. But I also don't think it's appropriate ti discuss compensation when things go wrong.

Now, the fact that Celebrity owes us $18 and promised us a cheque on the 11th of February... that's a REAL concern. So how long do you think that four to six weeks of processing means I should wait?
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim
Don't really want to get into this, but it does seem it was a vendetta of some CC members who got involved. I have shown a few people some of the gossip and discussion. Frankly, why people would have cared this much is beyond me. But there is no way to know WHY RCI made this choice. But I also don't think it's appropriate ti discuss compensation when things go wrong.

Now, the fact that Celebrity owes us $18 and promised us a cheque on the 11th of February... that's a REAL concern. So how long do you think that four to six weeks of processing means I should wait?
Watch out Ephraim-you don't want Celebrity to bann you because they owe you $11!

Seriously though, I have run into weirdos at other messageboards too. Right here at CM on the RCI board is a thread where people are posting very unflattering pics of other people in speedos. What bothers me about that, is some of those people have no idea their picture was taken and posted on a public board.

However, it is ridiculous that CC posters would write RCI to tell them that this person posted they had received a $500 credit.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
First Mate

No. I just want me cheque for $18 (you are shorting me $7?) I have a letter promising me a cheque.