Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default So Will The Airlines Refund Your Fee

if your bag fails to arrive with you since now you have to pay for every bag checked starting June 15th ? Perhaps they should refund your fee and give you a bag check voucher that lets you check your next bag for free
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I agree

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Yeoman

Sounds like a good idea. Kuki would have made a mint.........
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Admiral

You know what? This has gone beyond ridiculous.....

I think I'll just ship my luggage Fed Ex, overnight delivery. Probably will get there before I do....!

Or better yet, I'll just charter a private jet. No standing in line at the airport. No security checks. No hassles.

Ah yes, a 4-hole Lear will do nicely..........!

Dean
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

One time I went over the weight limit and paid the fee. There was a mechanical problem flight cancelled and the reinstated as I lugged my bags to the counter. They refunded my fee checked all my luggage and it all arrived on time at the correct destination. Like I said.....one time! Melody
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: So Will The Airlines Refund Your Fee

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
if your bag fails to arrive with you since now you have to pay for every bag checked starting June 15th ? Perhaps they should refund your fee and give you a bag check voucher that lets you check your next bag for free
Realistically, I give this policy about a week from the date when it takes effect. Commercial airplanes do NOT have enough room in the overhead bins for every passenger to bring a carry-on suitcase aboard. After several days of chaos due to flights being delayed while the ground crews put about half of the carry-on luggage in the hold, messing up the whole system timetable, I expect that the negative publicity will force the airline's executives to recind this bone-headed policy.

Norm.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Norm....I concur
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Norm--

I'll take the bet, because I think you're dead wrong.

First, the fee doesn't apply to a good percentage of pax on most flights. Between those with first class seats, those with full fare coach seats, and those with high frequent flyer status, you've got a significant number of people on whom the rule will have no effect. Then there are those business travelers who will be subject to the fee, but since they're travelling on business don't have to pay for it personally. Their baggage habits won't change a bit.

Add to that the passengers who must check their bag (or two or three), fee or no fee (e.g. cruisers and other vacationers), and there will still be enough bin space for those with just a rollaboard.

Instead of worrying about the bag fee, I think those who fly mostly to meet cruises or for other kinds of vacations should be concerned about something much more serious. One of the facts of life regarding the airline schedule cutbacks is that they won't be across the board. Flights that will be cut back most heavily will be those to primarily leisure destinations, because the "yield" on those routes is low, even if they fill the seats. Case in point: American is severly cutting back its service to San Juan, for exactly that reason. I believe they're planning a roughly 50% cut in flights to SJU overall. So the demand for low fares among leisure flyers will now cost them in terms of available seats. In an effort to survive, the airlines will be putting their emphasis on the low-hanging fruit--in other words, the routes heavily travelled for business where they can routinely collect higher fares.

It's gonna be ugly for vacationers, especially to the Caribbean.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:28 AM
Admiral

A couple of years ago I read (and I don't remember where but maybe those of you who travel a lot will know) about a service that will pick up your bags at home, insure they're on your ship on the date you sail and reverse the procedure upon return. I've no idea what the current fee is but I think I recall that two years ago it was relatively reasonable. Don't know if it still exists but I'd be surprised to learn it didn't. It may be just the ticket for the elderly, handicapped or even the average cruiser as long as they don't pack half the house. The way my own wife packs, we'd have to be millionaires to afford it.

TDH
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Norm--

I'll take the bet, because I think you're dead wrong.

First, the fee doesn't apply to a good percentage of pax on most flights. Between those with first class seats, those with full fare coach seats, and those with high frequent flyer status, you've got a significant number of people on whom the rule will have no effect. Then there are those business travelers who will be subject to the fee, but since they're traveling on business don't have to pay for it personally. Their baggage habits won't change a bit.

Add to that the passengers who must check their bag (or two or three), fee or no fee (e.g. cruisers and other vacationers), and there will still be enough bin space for those with just a rollaboard.

Instead of worrying about the bag fee, I think those who fly mostly to meet cruises or for other kinds of vacations should be concerned about something much more serious. One of the facts of life regarding the airline schedule cutbacks is that they won't be across the board. Flights that will be cut back most heavily will be those to primarily leisure destinations, because the "yield" on those routes is low, even if they fill the seats. Case in point: American is severely cutting back its service to San Juan, for exactly that reason. I believe they're planning a roughly 50% cut in flights to SJU overall. So the demand for low fares among leisure flyers will now cost them in terms of available seats. In an effort to survive, the airlines will be putting their emphasis on the low-hanging fruit--in other words, the routes heavily traveled for business where they can routinely collect higher fares.

It's gonna be ugly for vacationers, especially to the Caribbean.
I'm with AR on this one. The baggage fee will remain in effect though I do believe that there will be more of a "fight" for overhead bin space and there will be more "checking" of carry on luggage to make sure they aren't oversized.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
A couple of years ago I read (and I don't remember where but maybe those of you who travel a lot will know) about a service that will pick up your bags at home, insure they're on your ship on the date you sail and reverse the procedure upon return. I've no idea what the current fee is but I think I recall that two years ago it was relatively reasonable.
TDH
In today's (Sun) travel section of the Washington Post, there's a rundown of alternative means of shipping one 35-pound bag one way from Washington to San Francisco. Here are the numbers:

Postal Service: $36.96 for Parcel Post 7 days; $123.90 for overnight.
DHL: $52.40 for 7 day service; $280.92 for next day air.
FedEx: $44.07 for 5 day service; $274.75 for overnight.
UPS: $44.06 for 5 day service; $189.38 for next day air.
Luggage Express: $156.41 for 3 day service; $296.87 for overnight.
Luggage Forward: $124 for 7 day service; $273 for overnight.
Luggage Free: $57.75 for 5 day service; $145.25 for overnight.

Or. . .American Airlines: $15 and your bag goes with you.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Eastern Airlines had a "blue light special" redeye coast to coast on flights that were $99 and charged you for every bag you checked ..this was really moving cargo in the lower deck (which paid for the fix cost of operating the airplane), so charging for bags is not a new concept for airlines

the problem for the airlines will be when they have to check bags plane side for those that board last and no overhead bin space, especially if there is a connection involved...it will drive delays..the airlines will compensate by having the cut off time for being onboard moved up to 15 minutes before departure..the high mileage flyer won't be impacted because they usually don't check bags and have priority boarding..it will be the infrequent flyer who boards last
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the input AR. It's quite possible that the service was by Luggage Free and I know it wasn't overnight. To the best of my recollection, the price has increased (for obvious reasons) a lot over the past two years and probably just over the past six months!

Todd