Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Default Not How Many, It's How Many Types of Cruises Have U

experienced ? most everyone has taken or will take the standard 3-4-7 day "regular" caribbean ocean cruise on one of the major cruise lines but how many of us have taken different format cruises..i.e.

-barge cruise (under 12 psgrs)
-river cruise (under 150 psgrs)
-freighter/cargo cruise
-windjammer cruise
- luxury cruise (cabin for 2 over $5,000)
-extreme adventure cruise (i.e. north/south pole)
-cruise starting in one foreign port and ending at another that was not on a well known cruise line
-cruise where USA citizens made up less than 25% of the psgrs
- world cruise or segment of a world cruise over 21 days
- no frills cruise (i.e. easycruise)
-full charter theme cruise (i.e. a music cruise)
-part of a large group ( NASCAR, HOGS On The High Seas etc.) that you paid a premium over the standard cruise fare with specific activities apart from the rest of the ship
- any other category that I have not mentioned

if you never taken any of the above, which category would you like to try?..which category has no appeal to you ?

If Kuki and Paul were going to organize a CM group cruise for one of the above categories, what would be your recommendation (theory being one might try a different experience if there were fellow CM'ers with you but you would not do it alone)
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

There is only one kind of cruise in my book...it's called a FUN CRUISE!

Melody

sign me up for any and all cruises!
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have done the groups and plan to do more of those. I have gone with friends and solo loved every one. I have also done a Windjammer off the coast of Maine. Very different from a standard cruise. I would do it again. It was a fun experience.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I have done three group cruises, a three day cruise, a four day cruise, many five day cruises, a couple of seven day cruises, and an eight day cruise. I have done caribbean cruises and bahama cruises.

That makes 8 types.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Christmasmarket River Cruise on GCT
Yangtze River as part of a tour.
Hurtigruten round trip coast of Norway. About 10 Americans out of 670 PAX.
Crystal Cruise Through the Panama Canal.
Song of Norway through the Panama Canal from SJU to Acapulco when RCI only had 4 ships.
Hawaii B2B from Acapulco to Hawaii to Vancouver.
2 transatlantics.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Admiral

That's an interesting question Venice.

Due to the fact that I suffer from motion sickness, I am nervous about cruising on anything small in choppy waters. I have been lucky so far on mega ships, never been sick.
I would love to try something like a barefoot Windjammer cruise, but once again, I'm afraid the movement would be too much for me.

I have done a "tourist" dinner cruise here in Montreal. There was a catered buffet meal, DJ and music, and it was a fun time despite the heavy artillery of shadflies that had one keeping one's mouth closed!

donna
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The Windjammer option is off the table now that they have gone out of business.

I also would like to include cruises to more out of the way areas such as Asia, Europe, South Pacific, South America, etc. as options. They expand the travel horizons.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Mike..there are several Maine Windjammers to choose from
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Vince interesting topic! Hi see you mention the North/South world cruise,
is there another one besides Hurtigruten?

I think that would be the ultimate! Sigh. Soon will have the time
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I have done three day bahamas, and longer southern, eastern, and western caribbean cruises. I have done Panama Canal, Bermuda, and Alaska. I have done Southeast Asia (Hong Kong to Singapore) and North East Asia (Osaka to Hong Kong). I have done a Tahiti cruise and also a Yangtze River Cruise. I have done a Norwegian Fjords, Transatlantic, Western Med, Central Med, and Eastern Med.

I still have many more that I need to do.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Marc, you have almost pieced together your own World Cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I have done three day bahamas, and longer southern, eastern, and western caribbean cruises. I have done Panama Canal, Bermuda, and Alaska. I have done Southeast Asia (Hong Kong to Singapore) and North East Asia (Osaka to Hong Kong). I have done a Tahiti cruise and also a Yangtze River Cruise. I have done a Norwegian Fjords, Transatlantic, Western Med, Central Med, and Eastern Med.

I still have many more that I need to do.
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

we have done two one being barcelona to venice so embarkation and debarkation were different on both also our exoctic cruise.. while not the north or south pole it was still a biggie.. Panama Canal full ttransit FLL to LAX
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

If it's ever avialble again I would love to do a steamboat cruise like Majestic America line used to do before they went out of business. Or a luxury on Crystal cruise lines, they do one to the Mexican Riveria and that is the closest one in my price range.

Then of course a Fire and Ice cruise sounds great for example. Carnival Sprit has a seven day Alaskan cruise on Sept 9 and ends in Vancouver the next cruise is Sept 16 and a 12 day Hawaiian cruise from Vancover to Honolulu Hawaii. I just need to win the lotto or something.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Admiral

In January of 2011, LLC hs chartered the HAL Noordam to do back to back music cuise..one week is the Smooth Jazz Cruise with host Marcus Miller (replacing Wayman Tisdale who died) and then the second week is the Jazz Cruise (traditional Jazz)..now if I could find a second B2B with one week featuring Motown 60's act and the 2nd featuring the 70's era disco groups I would be one very happy cruiser 8) 8)
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

I have done 14 cruises and 2 more booked. and never had a bad cruise!!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Since this thread's been revived, I'll vote for a music-themed cruise.
do you think we could get Jimmy Buffett to do a group cruise just for CruiseMates?

donna
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Many years ago I went on cruise on the SS Olympia that started in Lisbon, Portugal and ended New York N Y , USA.

I liked our destination so much that after many years I am still in the US.

I also did a cruise (courtesy of Uncle Sam) from San Francisco Ca. to Cam Rhan Bay. Vietnam. AFter many adventures and traveling in Vietnam and a side trip to Japan. I ended up flying home.
It was certainly a trip that I will never fforget.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Not How Many, It's How Many Types of Cruises Have U

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
experienced ? most everyone has taken or will take the standard 3-4-7 day "regular" caribbean ocean cruise on one of the major cruise lines but how many of us have taken different format cruises..i.e.

-barge cruise (under 12 psgrs)
-river cruise (under 150 psgrs)
-freighter/cargo cruise
-windjammer cruise
- luxury cruise (cabin for 2 over $5,000)
-extreme adventure cruise (i.e. north/south pole)
-cruise starting in one foreign port and ending at another that was not on a well known cruise line
-cruise where USA citizens made up less than 25% of the psgrs
- world cruise or segment of a world cruise over 21 days
- no frills cruise (i.e. easycruise)
-full charter theme cruise (i.e. a music cruise)
-part of a large group ( NASCAR, HOGS On The High Seas etc.) that you paid a premium over the standard cruise fare with specific activities apart from the rest of the ship
- any other category that I have not mentioned

if you never taken any of the above, which category would you like to try?..which category has no appeal to you ?

If Kuki and Paul were going to organize a CM group cruise for one of the above categories, what would be your recommendation (theory being one might try a different experience if there were fellow CM'ers with you but you would not do it alone)
I once went on a grand adventure with the regimental headquarters of the Second Marines. The preparation began with issue of cold-weather gear and cold weather training at Camp Ripley, Minnesota, where the weather duly cooperated by dropping temperatures below -30 F for our overnight survival exercise (read: NO tent). Come our sailaway day, we flew from the landing zone at Camp Lejeune, NC, to USS Saipan (LHA-2) while our vehicles and equipment went aboard by landing craft operating from the ship's well deck in early February.

The transit across the Atlantic was quite a ride, with 20' to 30' seas nearly all the way. The regimental staff used the spaces designated for "flag" (admiral's) staff as shipboard offices since there was no admiral aboard, which gave us access to the "flag" bridge, which offered pristine views of the waves rolling down the flight deck on the 03 (pronounced "oh three") level amid the storms. We stopped in Portsmouth, England, for final coordination, before continuing northward to the Tromso area of Norway, 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle.

Arriving at our destination, our seven-day shore excursion commenced with the largest amphibious landing ever attempted in the arctic -- a U. S. Marine Amphibious Brigade alongside a composite brigade with commandos of Royal Marines (British) and Royal Dutch Marines (Netherlands) as the "blue" force in a NATO exercise. The opposing ("orange") force consisted of units of the U. S. Army and the armies of other NATO nations. The weather conditions during this forray ashore were actually quite pleasant, with daytime temperatures in the 50's and morning lows around freezing, presenting a completely different set of challenges than the conditions in which we had trained.

Returning to the ship, we returned to Portsmouth for the official critique and then called in Zebrugge, Belgium, for several days of R&R during which I took a tour to Amsterdam. After a final farewell call in Portsmouth, we set sail for the North Carolina coast. The North Atlantic again lived up to its reputation, with weather very similar to that of the eastward transit that persisted for two weeks. The ship's chaplain had coordinated plans a "steel beach picnic" for over 2000 sailors and marines on the flight deck on Easter Sunday, but the ship had to cancel it when the day arrived because surf was up on the steel beach.

When the ship returned to the North Carolina coast at the end of April, we flew back to a landing zone at Camp Lejeune and cleared customs while the ship again unloaded our vehicles and equipment by boat.

Would I do it again?

In a heartbeat!

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Rev...thanks for reminding me why I enlisted in the Air Force

yep, you certainly fit the criteria i ask for
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Our most unusual cruise was with a group of friends on the now defunct, Renaissance Cruise Line; we went to Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea. Our other cruises have been to Canada @ New England, the Mexican Riviera, Alaska, and the eastern, western, and southern caribbean. Our last cruise, that ended this May, was a repositioning cruise to europe. God willing there will be many more cruises that we will take in the future!
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Admiral

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Rev...thanks for reminding me why I enlisted in the Air Force
At least, in the Navy, we always had clean sheets and decent freshly cooked meals!

Norm.