Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Admiral

Default The Impact of Music On Your Brain

At the World Science Festival Dr Michael Sacks (author of the book Awakening which was made into a really great movie) conducted a workshop on how music can help heal an impaired brain due to the fact that music is processed in the area of the brain where movement is regulated (basal ganglia & cerebellum)

following my back operation I had to learn how to walk again and my MP3 player downloaded with Jazz was a great help in getting me thru my daily therapy to the point that it is now hardwired into my daily routine

During the actual storm of Katrina and then 6 days after with no power what substained me was listening to my MP3 player and reading my books (during the day)

I now understand why I love the combination of cruising and full charter smooth jazz cruises..It helps relax me and heal my mind at the same time
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yeoman

I'm still lost somewhere in the 60's (in a legal way....lol), do you think it will help me?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Inis, I am with you. I think that with few exceptions they stopped writing good music after about 1970, country and jazz excluded.

These days, the singers can't sing, the lyrics make no sense, and even if they did, the music is too loud to hear them.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
I'm still lost somewhere in the 60's (in a legal way....lol), do you think it will help me?
Me too!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that some of the stuff they call " music " today doesn't even qualify for a name--much less to be called music. I heard someone say the only thing missing from Rap music was the C in front of it--so true.
A few weeks back my wife and I were stopped at a traffic light. Two kids pulled up with the front windows down and the stereo blasting away. They looked over at us and I guess they could tell we didn't approve--they let the two back windows down so the " noise " would be louder. I told my wife
watch this--- I turned on the radio to country music and lowered all 4 windows and turned the volume all the way up--started rocking back and forth, etc. My stereo drowned theirs out--they laughed--gave us the peace sign and went on.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM
Admiral

Ron, what type of system did you have in your car
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I have to agree that some of the stuff they call " music " today doesn't even qualify for a name--much less to be called music. I heard someone say the only thing missing from Rap music was the C in front of it--so true.
A few weeks back my wife and I were stopped at a traffic light. Two kids pulled up with the front windows down and the stereo blasting away. They looked over at us and I guess they could tell we didn't approve--they let the two back windows down so the " noise " would be louder. I told my wife
watch this--- I turned on the radio to country music and lowered all 4 windows and turned the volume all the way up--started rocking back and forth, etc. My stereo drowned theirs out--they laughed--gave us the peace sign and went on.
Ole Ron! Good for you and the wife.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.