Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Default When it rains, it pours

My daughter had an appointment with her allergist today. She has been suffering for a long time with allergy symptoms. She was being tested for different things to see what she is allergic to. Besides dust mites and dogs, she is allergic to CATS. She called me crying her eyes out. Our cat, Soccer, is her BFF. They are inseparable when she's home, which is now all the time since she's graduated. Her first question was--do we have to get rid of the cat? I asked her what she wanted to do and of course the answer was NO, we are not getting rid of the cat!! (she told the doctor the same thing) The doctor gave her some medication and nasal spray to help with the symptoms and a book about cat allergies.

In my attempt to make her feel better, I said "at least you're not allergic to Josh (her boyfriend)". She said she would rather be allergic to Josh instead of the cat, since she likes the cat better.

I told my daughter that we would THOROUGHLY clean her room of all cat fur. Then the cat is no longer allowed in her room.

With the weekend I had, this is just the icing on the cake. (I hope)

Here is a photo of my daughter and her BFF.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Cheryl, oh my, so many things on your plate.....I hope they all get straightened out with the best results possible.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

It's bad that I laughed when I read "She said she would rather be allergic to Josh instead of the cat, since she likes the cat better." Sometimes I feel that way about my hubby. I love my little 4 legged friends. So I did some research. This article claims to have found the cure for cat allergies. It's kind of weird I'm not sure I would do that.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/0...-_n_58361.html
This website suggests the following. http://www.catlover-giftsworld.com/cat-allergy.html:
You will need to do all these things to maintain a normal life without cat allergy reactions:

Perform a daily grooming of your cat. Spend a few minutes brushing her all over (preferably outside of the house) to remove loose hair and dander (skin flakes). Morning, noon or night it doesn't matter. Just do it each day.

A weekly bath will remove much of the surface allergen, and, reduce the amount of future allergen produced, according to some studies. Use plain water, especially on older cats because if you use soap she may not stay around long enough for you to rinse her. Kittens are easier to wash this way and there's the added benefit of training her to get used to the weekly bath. Plain water is enough to capture the allergen, anyway.
There are mitts, gloves and wipes designed for any washing ritual which makes the process easier to manage than negotiating a cloth and bucket of water. Don't forget... once a week.

Though some suggest banning your cat from some or most rooms in a house as being necessary, I think this is one step short of outright throwing her out. But, I do advocate making the bedroom off-limits. Cleaning your bed coverings and sheets every time the cat has found your pillow for an afternoon siesta, or a midnight snuggle, can get old really fast. Sorry kitty. You'll have to sleep in your own bunk.

Make vacuuming a regular habit. Include upholstered furniture, rugs and carpets as well as bare floors. Tables and all polished furniture should also benefit from a regular cleaning. HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters on vacuums and heating & cooling systems can reduce cat allergen by up to 50% in your home. Wipe the walls down with a damp cloth or sponge mop, too. Whew... I'm tired just thinking about it. But, it's really worth it!

Keep your home well ventilated and "air out" as often as possible.
If your kitty has been lying peacefully in your lap, change clothes when she is finished and put them in the laundry. Then go wash your hands, or even take a shower if you think it's necessary. It's just her way of helping you to realize how refreshing a shower can be.
Aaahhhh... the things we do for our loved ones.

Finally, if you are particularly cat allergic, wear a dust mask when performing any of the above activities.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

katlady----thanks for the information. I printed for my daughter to read.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too am alergic to cats, so naturally I don't have one, can tolerate dogs just fine. Guess I'm just a dog person. I can totally sympathise with cat alergies, nothing to sneeze about, not fun, I don't even have to touch one or pick it up, just go into someone's home who has one and I'm sneezing and my I feel like pulling my eyes out.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Nolou525.

Am so sorry to hear of your daughter's allergy. We currently have five cats we consider our "children" (we used to have nine...all of them indoor (and for those who wonder about nine indoor cats, let me quickly add that my wife is such a fanatic that even when we had nine, if you entered our home you wouldn't know we even one unless you saw them)) so both of us commisserate with her.

But tell your daughter certainly all is not lost. I remember reading some years ago that people were astounded to learn that the individual responsible for nutrition for a huge number of resident cats at a pet food company was extremely allergic to cats. When asked how he could work around so many felines, he replied that he absolutely loved his job and especially all of his charges. He just took medication to alleviate the symptoms.

What you advised your daughter is absolutely one of the best things to do to keep the allergens under control. As the President of our local Humane Society, I some time back confirmed that with our Vet.

Good Luck!

Todd
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

OH...I feel so bad for your dd and you too. What an ordeal! I understand tho' I could never, ever give up my dog, I would suffer thru anything to have him by my side. I will continue to pray for you all.

Maybe her next cat should be one of those hairless one...

Give her a hug from me. And a huge pit pat to the kitty, too, poor thing has lots of new adjustments coming its way.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Oh man that is one BIG cat. He doesn't miss to many meals does he?

I have two friends who are allergic, and with meds they do just fine.

Now tell us what's wrong with Josh......
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Admiral

A full-body suit, complete with gas-mask and air tank should do the trick.......!

Dean