Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Default The France Chronicles, Part 3

Matthew is a friend of Kat and Ro’s, another US expat who lives in Toulouse. Through Matthew they got to know Gerard, who is the owner/chef of Mangevins Restaurant in Toulouse, around the corner from the college where Matthew teaches comparative religion. Our first stop in Toulouse was Matthew’s apartment, where we found him busily grading end-of-term papers from his classes. “Let’s all go to Gerard’s in my car,” he suggested. He told us that since his college is right around the corner from Gerard’s, he had a convenient parking space waiting.

Gerard greeted us at the door of Mangevins with huge hugs for Kat and Matthew, and equally huge ones for us. Gerard is, as they say, larger than life. He was carrying a huge dinner bell, which he began to clang on the sidewalk, as he announced in stentorian tones that the most discriminating Americans always choose his restaurant.

Gerard took care of us himself. First came the white wine, followed closely by beautiful salads with slices of foie gras. Then came bottles of red wine and some of the best lamb I’ve ever eaten. Somehow we managed to eat dessert too, after which Gerard pulled up a chair and produced a bottle of Eau de Vie along with five shot glasses and began to pour. The conversation was mostly funny, and when Gerard laughs, the building shakes. But before long my foodie wife and my foodie pal Kat and (it turns out) our foodie friend Matthew had turned the subject to “the perfect vinaigrette,” and Gerard held forth with great passion on the subject, pointing out how the recipe must vary depending on the nature of the greens being used.

Gerard poured another round of shots and soon produced a guitar which he handed to Matthew, and the restaurant was given over to an excellent early afternoon concert.

Gerard poured some more, and we talked US politics, always a favorite subject in Europe. And then we said au revoir, but not before planning a reunion. Gerard said that he and his wife, along with a group of friends, planned to visit the St. Antonin market the following Sunday. We agreed to meet there.

The chef and the foodie: Gerard and Terry

Matthew then took us on a fascinating walking and driving tour of Toulouse. As we walked around and looked at ancient Roman walls and squares that hosted executions in the 15th century, it was amazing how many locals stopped to listen to Matthew’s observations, and to add some of their own—always intelligent, and always on point.

Over the last few days, we toured some more, spending an hour with Kat’s favorite cheese merchant in Caussade, stopping on the way to St. Cirque de Popie at a wine cooperative that Kat had always wanted to visit. We were made welcome immediately, and the tasting lasted over an hour. At the end, two cases were loaded into the van to bolster Kat and Ro’s cellar, which they maintain at 300-400 bottles.

The road to St. Cirque follows the river through a narrow gorge. Where the gorge isn’t wide enough for the river and the road, they’ve cut tunnels through the rock for the two-lane highway. It is extremely picturesque, as is St. Cirque, where after lunch Terry went jewelry shopping and did moderate damage.

On our last full day we went back to the market at St. Antonin de Noble Val. We’d agreed to meet Gerard and his group at the outdoor café close to the market square. When they arrived, we were drinking coffee. “Nous sommes ici!” bellowed Gerard, and after introducing us to his wife Virginie and the two couples who accompanied them, he declared that the time for coffee was finished, and ordered the small table cleared. As more chairs were pulled up, bottles of wine appeared, Kat produced a pizza she’d just picked up in the market, and Gerard produced a local sausage that he’d just found. We talked and we laughed and we carried on ridiculously. Gerard decided that we should all sing American rock songs from the 60’s, and, amazingly, we did.

Below is the last photo I took on the trip. It was Gerard’s toast to l’amité entre les Etats-Unis et la France.

The next morning Kat drove us back to the airport, where we said au revoir to her and to Fea. As with so many trips we’ve taken, we look back with great affection and appreciation to all our friends, old and new, who always make our travels very special indeed. As Kat said, it’s all about the people.

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thank you for sharing your journey. It was wonderful, and as Kat said, it's about the people, which all of us know, who have sailed together here.

Your charming pictures of France, really resonated wth me, as half my family can be traced back to Lyon...

Your friends made your time a memorable one, and it showed..thanks again.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
First Mate

Oh no! It can't be over! Wonderful time, wonderful stories, wonderful photos! Indeed, it is the people who make the memories..... and the dogs!
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Noooooo!!!! I don't want to leave!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much for sharing - it was wonderful and while reading your posts I actually felt that I was there sharing in the food, wine and commaradarie with everyone you spoke of during your visit.

Beautiful pictures as well as beautiful people.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
First Mate

AR Félicitations,
Wow sensationnel,
You put a lot of time and work to describe those journey to Bulgaria and France.Thanks very much for sharing those special moment with friends
that Im sure you keep in touch with them since then. Chapeau Mr.AR.

MTL
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default The France Chromicles, Part 3

Magnificent, AR! Are you sure you can't squeeze out another chronicle?

Judy
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Noooo! I don't want it to end either!
AR, great job, I really felt I was travelling along with you!
Loved the photo montage at the end too.

The blonde woman in the headscarf in the 2nd to last photo, looks like a Quebecer, or could be related to me!

By the way, did the dog speak French too?

donna
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Tres Bien Monsieur AR. J'ai ainsi apprecie ce compte charmant de vos vyages. J'esprere qui'l ya plus pour suivre!
Au Revoir
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Thank you so much for shaing your trip with us in such a delightful way. Perhaps in your spare time you could become a travel writer. :-)

I also am among those who are sad to have the stories end. What beautiful places you visited, and what wonderful friends you have! You are right about the relationships being the most important. Thanks again.

Phyll
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That was so much fun. Where are we going next?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna
By the way, did the dog speak French too?

donna
Mais Woof!

That was so much fun. Where are we going next?

Capetown, South Africa in September to visit yet another friend, then on safari.