CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Pinnacle Project Ship Video ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/352151-pinnacle-project-ship-video.html)

Paul Motter June 10th, 2008 02:31 PM

Pinnacle Project Ship Video ?

Have you guys seen this?

Paul Motter June 10th, 2008 02:49 PM

The reason I say "Pinnacle Ship Project" is because ever since Royal Caribbean came out with Voyager of the Seas Carnival has hinted about a major project they have on the drawing board called "the Pinnacle Project"

Carnival has (honestly speaking) be using the same basic ship designs for years now, and although all their ships vary greatly in interior design, as far as basic design goes they really only have three models:

The Fantasy-class, the Destiny-class and the Spirit-class.

They have changed these around minimally through the years, but even though they refer to newer ships like Conquest as newer classes, they are so close the previous classes it is hard to argue they are actually new.

That means Carnival hasn't made a completely new ship design since about 2000, and that most of their ships are based on the 1996 Destiny framework.

Meanwhile, Royal Caribbean innovated with Voyager, updated it significantly with Freedom, and now has Genesis - a completely new design, nearing completion.

I love you, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean, but anyone would have to agree Royal is more innovative (which may be why Carnival is more profitable?).

In any case - thi video came from Somewhere. It sho9ws a Carnival ship and starts with Fincantieri - the shipyard where Carnival builds all its ships and has invested in over the years.

Is this "Pinnacle?"

Mike M June 10th, 2008 03:59 PM

Paul,

I don't know if it is Fincantieri's concept video or a good fake. I read somewhere that Carnival had shelved the project until the Euro drops. Some of the innovations were interesting. I had a funny feeling in my stomach as I watched it but my wife thought it "was cool".

I'm just waiting for the day when: Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Voyager OTS, Mariner OTS, a Pinnacle ship and four of the normal cadre of regular cruise ships call on Cozumel. It's going to be a boom day at Cozumall.

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter June 10th, 2008 04:04 PM

If you watch it all the way to the end you DO see that it was produced by Fincantieri. I really don't believe it is any kind of a fake.

My gut feeling is that it is a promotional "idea" video that Fincantieri made for Carnival's amusement just to spur them with new ideas. As I said, Carnival has not truly innovated their shipbuilding in years, not like Royal Caribbean has. Fincantieri would love it if they could come up with an all new design for them.

Imagine how much more profit there is in making something like that from scratch than there is in being asked to "add a spa-deck to the old Conquest design".

Nothing wrong with Carnival - they are extremely astute business people. It is just that they don't sell the "wow" as much as other companies do.

Trip June 10th, 2008 04:16 PM

As I watched it, it was with a bit of sadness, and excitement...For may who have cruised some of the older liners, & ships, I am sure there is nostalgia for what used to be..For the generation who has known nothing but mega ships, I bet they will love it

It looks like they took several blocks of tenements, and set them afloat, with a touch of Vegas thrown it. The romance has long been gone from cruising, with all the bells and whistles.....I will hold my judgement till we have a group cruise on her:)

Btw...that tram that goes around the ship...all I can say is OY!

SeaWench June 10th, 2008 06:29 PM

WOW!!!! For a second there I thought this was a sneak peak at the Carnival Dream ship that is set to come out. That was a crazy looking ship.

Donna June 10th, 2008 09:22 PM

Amazing is all I can say!

thecruisequeen June 11th, 2008 07:20 AM

Wow nice ship! And a lazy river too!! :D :D

FirstCoastCruiser June 11th, 2008 07:52 AM

I saw this video before though it was not as long. Interesting, but much like the Oasis, I'm not sure it will be for me. One thing is for sure though, Carnival does need a new design IMO.

Luanne Russo June 11th, 2008 10:46 AM

This video has been shown on here before, on the Carnival board. It was soon seen all over the Internet. It seems that Carnival is going crazy over the calls they are getting, not only about the new ship, but also those wanting to book, and can't because the dates haven't been released. :shock:

This was a design that was submitted, and was very quickly dismissed, as been to "out there" LOL

I do like the music. LOL