Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Pinnacle Project Ship Video ?

Have you guys seen this?

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The reason I say "Pinnacle Ship Project" is because ever since Royal Caribbean came out with Voyager of the Seas Carnival has hinted about a major project they have on the drawing board called "the Pinnacle Project"

Carnival has (honestly speaking) be using the same basic ship designs for years now, and although all their ships vary greatly in interior design, as far as basic design goes they really only have three models:

The Fantasy-class, the Destiny-class and the Spirit-class.

They have changed these around minimally through the years, but even though they refer to newer ships like Conquest as newer classes, they are so close the previous classes it is hard to argue they are actually new.

That means Carnival hasn't made a completely new ship design since about 2000, and that most of their ships are based on the 1996 Destiny framework.

Meanwhile, Royal Caribbean innovated with Voyager, updated it significantly with Freedom, and now has Genesis - a completely new design, nearing completion.

I love you, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean, but anyone would have to agree Royal is more innovative (which may be why Carnival is more profitable?).

In any case - thi video came from Somewhere. It sho9ws a Carnival ship and starts with Fincantieri - the shipyard where Carnival builds all its ships and has invested in over the years.

Is this "Pinnacle?"
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I don't know if it is Fincantieri's concept video or a good fake. I read somewhere that Carnival had shelved the project until the Euro drops. Some of the innovations were interesting. I had a funny feeling in my stomach as I watched it but my wife thought it "was cool".

I'm just waiting for the day when: Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Voyager OTS, Mariner OTS, a Pinnacle ship and four of the normal cadre of regular cruise ships call on Cozumel. It's going to be a boom day at Cozumall.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you watch it all the way to the end you DO see that it was produced by Fincantieri. I really don't believe it is any kind of a fake.

My gut feeling is that it is a promotional "idea" video that Fincantieri made for Carnival's amusement just to spur them with new ideas. As I said, Carnival has not truly innovated their shipbuilding in years, not like Royal Caribbean has. Fincantieri would love it if they could come up with an all new design for them.

Imagine how much more profit there is in making something like that from scratch than there is in being asked to "add a spa-deck to the old Conquest design".

Nothing wrong with Carnival - they are extremely astute business people. It is just that they don't sell the "wow" as much as other companies do.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As I watched it, it was with a bit of sadness, and excitement...For may who have cruised some of the older liners, & ships, I am sure there is nostalgia for what used to be..For the generation who has known nothing but mega ships, I bet they will love it

It looks like they took several blocks of tenements, and set them afloat, with a touch of Vegas thrown it. The romance has long been gone from cruising, with all the bells and whistles.....I will hold my judgement till we have a group cruise on her:)

Btw...that tram that goes around the ship...all I can say is OY!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

WOW!!!! For a second there I thought this was a sneak peak at the Carnival Dream ship that is set to come out. That was a crazy looking ship.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Amazing is all I can say!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Wow nice ship! And a lazy river too!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:52 AM
First Mate

I saw this video before though it was not as long. Interesting, but much like the Oasis, I'm not sure it will be for me. One thing is for sure though, Carnival does need a new design IMO.

Old June 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This video has been shown on here before, on the Carnival board. It was soon seen all over the Internet. It seems that Carnival is going crazy over the calls they are getting, not only about the new ship, but also those wanting to book, and can't because the dates haven't been released.

This was a design that was submitted, and was very quickly dismissed, as been to "out there"

I do like the music.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link