Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Admiral

Default YES INDEED. GOOD MORNING WORLD!

Good Morning One and All,

It's 0440 EDT (that's 4:40 am for both you civilians and those of you who may have served in the Navy) and unlike moi, the Village Idiot, Mr. Sun hasn't even anticipated climbing above Bald Mountain.

No, I've not stayed up all night partying with the kickapoo joy juice although I am at an extreme elevation this beautiful morning. My wife even arose before I did (she around 0315)!

We are so joyful for two reasons of which I need to explain.

Two years ago this month we were preparing to sail on our first cruise on the same ship, a gift from my wife Fran's neice in New York (as is obvious, she is among the most giving and wonderful people on earth). A hospitalization the previous April had convinced me of what my physician and friend had been trying to tell me for the previous eight years. My heart had deteriorated to such an extent I just could not work anymore even though I adored my part time job managing a senior citizen apartment complex, all the residents of which had become like family.

I had gone to have my monthly Doctor's appointment and J.R. said to Fran that it had been too long since she had had a blood test so they took one. Fifteen minutes later on a false pretext, he had me come into his private office where he dropped the biggest bomb of my life. Fran had Leukemia. He said it wasn't the agressive type and that we didn't have to cancel our cruise.

We agreed there was no need to tell Fran and ruin her "vacation of a lifetime" as it didn't appear to be yet that serious.
I told her on the way home probably because she had developed pneumonia the day after we had disembarked. She didn't know how or why she contracted the illness, but then again, she hadn't known of her disease. I at that time gave her the news as she had recovered from the pneumonia.

Turned out things were far more severe than any of us had anticipated. Upon returning home we found she had not only CLL (Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia) but in addition to that she also had SCL (Small Cell Lymphoma -- non Hodgkins).

She had her chemotherapy and her cancer went into remission. Then about two months ago, her numbers dropped and she began feeling what she describes as "punky." It got worse and she was admitted to the hospital with a fever above 103. It only got worse, much worse and on a Tuesday I was told I might lose her. Bless her heart she really rallied and the following Sunday she was so much better I even took her home! Turns out she had developed PCP pneumonia (a dangerous type of pnemonia often found in those with suppressed immune systems and what more than infrequently kills those with Lymphoma, as it did the late Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes fame).

Yesterday at her monthly visit with her Oncologist, he walked into the room with a big grin on his face. I told him to please keep grinning and he said he wasn't grinning, he was actually jumping up and down with joy.

Fran's numbers had rebounded, there was no sign of any pneumonia and he told her to forget about her disease, forget about him and go and have a wonderful time! We were absolutely ecastatic both about the report and her clearance to go on our cruise, which, by the way is AGAIN being totally funded by her neice in Staten Island!

I know I am famous for verbosity and all of the above is probably inappropriate to post on an internet web site but I really had to share my joy wth not only the rest of the world, but with all of you, my most recent and dear "Cruisemates!"

Now, back to packing!

Blessing upon all of you, especially those experiencing travail or illness.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I wish you ONLY THE BEST for the two of you. That is such a wonderful story.

I was given some of the most invaluable words of advice about 10 years ago - Do not put off being with the ones you love, enjoy your family, and doing NOW your plans for the future because you do no know what the future holds and it just may be too late. Only you can make how much value those words are.

It would be so nice if everyone had this type of outlook on life. One of the best line's in a movie I watched before was "If it's not in your heart; nothing else realy matters."

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
First Mate

Good morning Cruisemates:

Great news ToddDH, please enjoy yourselves.

It's another day at the crazy house. So just a brief hello and then back to reality....work.

Hi all, have a great day
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Admiral

Thank you so much, CruiseNoid. Your comments are dearly appreciated.

Todd
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Todd, excellent words to live by. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I try to follow those words every day. I hope Fran and you have a wonderful cruise, and a long long life together.
Just another day here in Lakeland. I'm still toiling at rebuilding a kitchen cabinet to accommodate a new dishwasher, then installing it. (All this if the pager stays quiet)
Hope all my "Mates" have a GREAT day.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Cruise Mates!!

Todd what good news to share with everyone, enjoy your cruise!!

Now, I hate rain!!! It's still raining, I really am wishing for a dry spell of at least two weeks and then it can rain - I just want a chance to dry out so DH can cut the hay, alfalfa and get the beans sprayed - can't do any of that in this rain and wet ground conditions!!!

Not much else, just work which is driving me crazy - glad this is "hump day" getting so much closer to the weekend.

Have a great day everyone - and prayers out to those who need them and even for those who don't!!
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Todd, you have every reason to shout out to the world and celebrate this day! Best wishes to Fran and hope you both enjoy a wonderful cruise!

Well, it's sunny in Montreal, and cooled off considerably from yesterday's humidity. We had one heck of severe thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, just as the kids were waking from their nap.
It was black as night outside, and the winds were frightening. We watched out the window as a huge branch came crashing down off the tree in the front yard.
The kids were terrified of the thunder and the noise of the wind.
As we watched the storm through the window, one little boy asked me "what colour is the thunder?" I thought that was such an adorable question!
I asked him back, "what colour do YOU think it is?" and he replied "gray"!

When parents started arriving, we were told of traffic caused by 7 tractor-trailers having been blown over on a local bridge! None went over the rail, but the footage shown on the evening news was truly terrifying!

Well, that's my exciting day yesterday....wonder what today has in store?

donna
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Good morning to all of you from sunny beautiful WI where the lakes are overflowing, the dams are bursting and the streets are flooding. I'm so gald to be be on higher ground. It sure is amazing and heartbreaking to see the havoc the rain has created.

Todd, I am jumping for joy with you today. Yesterday I also got a report from my oncologist that everything is still clear. After having dealt with a rare form of cancer a few years ago myself, and not knowing if it could be defeated, I too am dancing with joy. Thanks for sharing your happy and wonderful news with us.

Prayers going out for those who are going through those rough days right now of illness and trials with loved ones.

Take care everyone.
Phyll
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Will be close to 90 today, but NO humidity! Such a good thing! I am off to work today, we have a rep coming in to show us some great looking silk separates....I will want one of each, for sure....

Todd, Phyl, nothing beats a Dr. coming into the office with a smile..yayay for you both!

Good thoughts, for all..........

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All,

I am typing this from my work computer this morning as we have no power at home. Our power went out during the second wave of storms that passed thru our area yesterday. The storms that went thru shortly after 3 pm yesterday were quick - heavy wind - a few branches flailing around, very little rain - lots of thunder and lightening. Which lingered long after the wind died down. Not too bad tho' in our little corner of the woods, tho' plenty of power outages just to the west of us. Dh called around 5 and told him I'd see him when I saw him (which will probably be sometime late tonight - as they will sleep for a few hours then head back out as soon as day breaks).

Round two passed thru a little after 8 pm. Thank God ds was home for this batch which was much more severe. Our aluminum door latch had broken awhile back, and I never really thought about it until the wind tried to rip it off the hinges - I told ds to move his car while I held on to it for dear life - this was after it took the two of us to shut one window due to the amount wind....it was bizarre. As soon as he got the car moved the wind died down a little, so we went out to the middle of the lawn to look west to see what else was coming - that is when we notice all the patio furniture floating in the pool - we managed to drag it out before it submerged or made holes in the pool liner. I had a lot of adrenaline I guess and didn't notice I must have wrenched my shoulder during the haul-out. I'm rather sore this morning.

Our power went out during this - at about 8 - it's still out. Now I am wondering if we will lose the food in the freezer(which I had stocked for the summer) and the fridge (which I just filled from grocery shopping).
We never loose power for more than a couple of hours at a time - I think 6 is the most I ever remember being with out it. The whole town has power but my street and the street over. Of course I can't get in touch with dh so I can't figure out when it will be back on.
Not the end of the world for sure, but just one more frustration on top of the long list that has been accumulating here over the past three weeks. We will survive for sure. And be stronger for it. I could just use a slight reprieve.

DS has a job interview this morning - after his pt appointment and his casting for orthotics to be made. I truly hope this works out!

DD is headed back to Cairo today. In the early morning hours her group climbed what the itinerary list's as Moses' Mountain - and then settled in to watch the sunrise - the climb down and have a lenghty bus ride. I hope she got some good pictures. It must be an amazing sight.

Todd - lovely story this morning. We will all jump for joy with you! And for Phyll too! Even when things are hard we all have so very, very much to be thankful for.

Sue - glad to see you posting. Hope you have fun when you come to New England!

Wishing all our mates the very best of days!
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest.............cool this morning......only 60's for the week........oh well........

Todd.........congrats!!! You & Fran enjoy your cruise......enjoy each other.....life is way TOO short.......glad you shared with us.....

Phyll.........glad your tests came out good too.......bet you're feelong better

Not much going on here today......

Y'all have a great day..............

Sharon
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Morning all,,,

ToddDH so glad you shared your joy with us. Enjoy your cruise,,,you've both earned it.

Phyll so happy for your good news as well. Way to go girl !!!
I have been watching the news with all the flooding up your way. So sad to see it. But so glad all is well at your house.

We have been under awful heat here on the east coast of Va. Was 103 yesterday,,,,been that way for a week. Today is supposed to be cooler,,,I hope.
We were under an ozone alert yesterday as well. The smoke from fires in N.Carolina were coming up this way,,,it looked like fog it was so thick. Not good,,,hard to breath when outside.

It's such a strange time,,,weather wise,,all over the world,,, Kinda makes you stop and wonder,,,

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Good morning from sunny and much cooler, Virginia Beach. The J.C.C. was open again today after a two day holiday hiatus. It felt great to exercize! Todd, it was great news to hear about your wife, Fran. Now you both can look forward to having a fabulous time on your cruise!
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Good Morning H&H! nothing else to say.

Todd, what a wonderful uplifting post this mornig, thanks for sharing.

Phyl, I am so happy and thank God that things are clear now. Prayers do work!!

Wishing you all a great Hump daY!
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

ToddDH, I like stories with happy endings. The best to you and yours. Mike
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Admiral

A late good morning from this side of the world A big smile to those who have had their prayers answered!

I looked at flights going to Honduras and they are not expensive<unlike going to Kenya! wow> Wondering if shots are needed there too. Maleria seems to be everywhere not sure about Honduras.

Not sure what today will bring. DH and I watched a movie last night called "The bucket list" and we liked it. I think Morgan Freeman is an awesome talented actor.

Friends of ours who are missionaries in Guyana are coeming back after almost a year. Can't wait to see them!

Kuki how are your parents doing? I kow you are busy with them..prayers are going out to them.

Have a good day mates!
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Todd, that is a great visit and great results. Get on that ship quickly and enjoy life!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Default Yes, indeed, Good Morning World

A VERY late good morning from Southern California. One of those mornings when everything is chaotic.

Todd, that was a wonderful story, and I, too, like happy endings.
Phyll, I am SO happy to hear of your own happy tidings, healthwise.

I hope everybody has a happy day.

Judy