Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Default I'm fed up with Tiger Woods.

Granted, Tiger is the best golfer in the world, maybe the best ever. But for the last few years he only plays in the major tournaments and the couple of tournaments sponsored by his sponsors, such as the Buick Open and the Federal Express Championsip because he's contracted with them to play in their tournaments. Otherwise he's in Dubai hanging out with his oil shiek friends playing for millions in "appearance" money.

The average golf fan isn't capable of getting tickets to the major tournaments to watch Tiger play. I'd like to see Tiger make himself more accessible to the average golf fan.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I saw a few of his shots on the news last night and there were just plain unbelieveable!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Thomas! Where have you been? Haven't seen you since the last time we sent you to your room!

donna
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Thomas, my friend, I would suggest to you that Tiger is exhibiting a very smart stategy that will prolong his career for many years...and I would suggest that I am not mad at him for doing that

Every year since Katrina, the PGA has been trying to get Tiger to play here in New Orleans at their tournament and he has always declined, which has drawn some very negative press...what the press does not cover is that he has come to New Orleans as part of his foundation and has conducted golf clinics & made himself very available to young kids in the inner city, and he has done it without all the publicity and has donated $$$$$ (again without asking for or seeking publicity)

Watching him play this weekend with great pain, whether he wins or loses, will just add to the Tiger legend...

I'm not sure of what your definition is of the "average" golf fan but I can understand your frustration of not seeing him play in person, I have had that pleasure and it is incredible..his Dad must be smiling from heaven watching him mature and fulfill the promise he saw in him when Tiger was 3
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Thomas..one final thought...there is no way Tiger could even begin to honor all the request of his time to play in tournaments and personal appearances...so thus, he is very selective of his time and of course his time is $$$$$

the greatest legacy he may have is how he has changed the paradym of the game of golf to an entire generation of young people coming up (one of the greatest commercials was the one where small kids from all around the world wanted to be the next Tiger) and how he has begun to heal the pain of his father's generation and before who were denied the opportunity to play in the PGA, less alone denied the opportunity to be a part of the gallery

he dominates not only because of his athletic ability but also due to his mental toughness..he's changed the conversation about greatness in the game of golf
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I'm fed up with Tiger Woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
Granted, Tiger is the best golfer in the world, maybe the best ever. But for the last few years he only plays in the major tournaments and the couple of tournaments sponsored by his sponsors, such as the Buick Open and the Federal Express Championsip because he's contracted with them to play in their tournaments. Otherwise he's in Dubai hanging out with his oil shiek friends playing for millions in "appearance" money.

The average golf fan isn't capable of getting tickets to the major tournaments to watch Tiger play. I'd like to see Tiger make himself more accessible to the average golf fan.

Regards,
Thomas
Thomas

Tiger Woods has accomplished about all he can as a golfer in about a 13 year span including his 2 US amateurs. He has grossed over $75,000,000 in that time. He now marries and has family. There is no need for him to spend week in and week out on the grind of the PGA tour. He has earned the luxury to pick and choose his schedule. Since golfers, for the most part, only earn money based on their performance, he owes the public nothing yet does give back in many other ways besides appearing on TV every weekend to satify fans. Personally, I have stopped watching golf on TV. Why? cause everyone else is always playing for second. I believe due to his dominance Pro golf has become boring. Most tournaments do not end the way it did yesterday. MaybeTiger realizes that this gives others the chance to win. And the bottom line is, if someone offers you 2 mil to play rather than having to earn it solely through your play, wouldn't you make the same decision? I am sure there is a collective sigh of relief when al the other pros know that Tiger is not in the tournament.
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

All I know is that my wife was glued to the TV for the last nine holes of yesterdays U.S. Open and actually cheered when Tiger sank the birdie putt on 18 to put into a playoff.

To get my wife to watch golf requires some sort of "special" quality and Tiger Woods has it. Normally she would be rooting for the "old guy".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I take great pleasure seeing a legend in my own time setting records and look forward to all the events he books. Rocco gave him a run for the money today.........MD
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

This young man Tiger Woods has accomplished a lot at such a young age. He is mature beyond his age. He has done a lot for the golf community; and he has given back to several major orgainizations. He has started a community center in Los Angeles for kids who would otherwise never get a chance to know what the game of golf is all about. Also he has given the amatuer golfers a chance to realize that because you are a minority; doesn't mean you don't ever stand a chance of becoming the next superstar. All people have a chance to succeed, Tiger has showed a lot of people the way to do that. You shouldn't fault him
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Admiral

I don't think Thomas was faulting Tiger...I think Thomas just wished he was in the gallery at the US Open on Monday to see history

what a finish..the Tiger legend grows

now I bet if Royal Caribbean was able to land Tiger for a full charter golf cruise, it would sell out in a minute...I don't play golf but I would be on it
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Admiral

he's out for the rest of the season..I wish him well during his rehab and hope he comes back next year twice as strong