Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Default Lightning II

is the name the Air Force has given to the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter...there is history in the name because of the famous WW2 P-38 Lightning fighter plane...
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Venice,

Hope it's as successful as its namesake and I'm confident it shall be. As a big time WW-II buff, I find it interesting that every aircraft used in combat by the United States during WWII was designed before Pearl Harbor occurred.

I haven't kept up with the combat aircraft as the decades have passed. When I was in the service the hot dog was the "D" model F-4 Phantom and the brandy new F-111 Aardvark (heck of a name for a warplane, huh?).

But to give you just a little idea of our military technology, the fastest airplane in the world, an airplane that hasn't flown in several years now and is retired (allegedly), one of which sits in the Smithsonian, is the SR-71 Blackbird. That hotrod, which flew at the edge of space at a speed at which no other airplane in history has ever even come close, was designed out at the Skunk Works in .... drum roll please.....the mid FIFTIES!!!

Concerning what they may have today; as the late Justin Wilson from way down there in Baton Rouge Louisiana used to say, "I guarrrronnntee" they got some dynamite new toys.

Todd
[/b][/i]
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Todd. my son is an AF test pilot so he flies everything the AF has and he says his favorite is the A-10 Warthog...ugly, slow, but deadly...my favorite is the F-22

I did not know until my son told me that the P-51 Mustang (the F-15 of it's era) was designed in our country for the British RAF during WW2...it was a P-51 that shot down the German Me262 (first modern jet fighter)

with the advent of the drones it will be interesting to see what the next generation fighter aircraft will look like and if it will have a pilot
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Hey Todd and Venice, I came across a video this morning that you both might enjoy. It is about the P-51 Mustang and was put together by Jay Leno for his web site. If you like cars, take a look at the rest of Jay's site.

The video is at http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=255306[/url]

Keith
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Keith,

You have made my day! I had no idea whatsoever that there were any razorback Mustangs still out there, much less airworthy ones.

Thank you ever so much for sharing!

If you're into such things and you've never been, I strongly suggest going to Oshkosh. It's the most fantastic air show imaginable.

Thanks again!

Todd
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Very cool video! I didn't realize that there was only one razor back Mustang left. Amazing. We have P51's around here all the time, but obviously the bubble canopy type. Keith, the next time you cruise out of Florida, you might want to check out Lakeland, as we have the Southern version of Oshkosh here in the Spring. The EAA really puts on a show!

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Ken,

I didn't know that the EAA had a big show in Florida as well. East Tennesee is a whole lot closer to Florida and I have a Neice who owns a gorgeous condo on Siesta Key. Whe is the airshow in Lakeland?

Thanks,

Todd
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Admiral

I became a member of the EAA in 1967 but I've only been to Oshkosh once, in 1995. Ken, if you went to Sun n Fun this year you probably saw the Firecracker. Pat Halloran flew her from Oshkosh to Lakeland then out to Riverside. Over 3,000 miles. Pat is a retired Air Force General and has flown them all, just about. Including the SR-71 and the U-2.

Keith
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Our Air National Guard unit lost their F-16s recently in a major shakeup and reorganization...... they have been replaced with something whose actual name I can't remember, but they are called Warthogs and are a multi-purpose fighting aitcraft...... all the Warthog people have gotten the greatest kick from putting our local unit's Razorback logo decals on the new planes.... they say it is a match made in heaven.... not the Pentagon!
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Very cool video! I didn't realize that there was only one razor back Mustang left. Amazing. We have P51's around here all the time, but obviously the bubble canopy type. Keith, the next time you cruise out of Florida, you might want to check out Lakeland, as we have the Southern version of Oshkosh here in the Spring. The EAA really puts on a show!

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Admiral

it's called an A-10 and it has one heck of a gun in the front of the aircraft...ground troops call it the tank buster
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, the Air Force wanted to get rid of the Warthog over a decade ago (I think because it wasn't high tech (read "sexy" enough)) and therefore was obsolete. Trouble was, they had nothing with which to replace it and the aircraft continued to roll up the tallies of obliterated ground targets, especially tanks. The A-10 is a Model T by Air Force standards because among other things, she is so slow. But that is what makes the Warthog so lethal and she is without a doubt, the current greatest ground support aircraft in the inventory and probably will stay that way for some time. Not to mention that she is so heavily armored that you can hit an A-10 with just about the kitchen sink and she'll continue to fly. The pilot is him/herself literally sitting in what could be described as an amored tub.

Todd
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Todd..my son would agree with you 150%...he loves flying the A-10 and firing the cannon
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Todd..my son would agree with you 150%...he loves flying the A-10 and firing the cannon
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Warthog is without a doubt the most effective air to ground aircraft flying! As long as there are ground targets, like tanks, trucks, and troops, I don't see how they could get rid of this GREAT aircraft.
Venice, you might find it interesting that my daughter was crew chief on FB111's at Pease AFB before it shut down. She works at Pratt Whitney now! (I keep trying to get her to ship me one of those big ROUND engines)

Ken
"Sky"