Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Informative new show

There is an informative new show on the Travel Channel, called The Unfriendly Skies, State of Travel...An eye opener on many aspects of the industry, & how it has impacted leisure travel. Cost of fuel being the major issue, of course. This is all up to the date info, so it is interesting to hear.

Some amazing travel problems... ( 9 hrs on the runway.. . a child was put off an airplane, and left alone in the jetway. Comments by travel insiders.The founder of Jet Blue, doing what he started here with low cost fares, is now in Brazil, with Azul Air. How overseas carriers are actually doing well! Lastly, how algae could be the saving grace...Take a peek, it will be repeated over and over.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Trip........I will have to see if I can find it....sounds like a good show to watch........

Sharon
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Tuesday: (Tonight) Travel Channel 11:00 p.m. Eastern. Saturday, July 5. 6:00 p.m. Eastern

That's it for the next 10 days.

Take care,
TV Guide Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Thanks Mike for making that so much easier. Just as my thoughts were "I gotta make sure I watch that" .... I scroll to see your post. It's the simple things in life that I get so much enjoyment out of.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike, my DVR is locked and loaded.
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Thanks Mike, my DVR is locked and loaded.
Don't you just love those dang things? I did the keyword search and found out when the show was airing. Clicked the 10:00 p.m. (central) on DVR2 to record it because something else was recording on DVR1 and then posted the time and date information on the boards.

I have become so accustomed to DVR that when I stay at a hotel or watch "regular" television I automatically reach for the remote to try and rewind.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

My DVR can record two programs at once. And what I really like about it is that I can call up playbacks on any set in the house. That is very cool.

And to rub it in even more, I'm literally in the middle of installing my new 106-inch (16x9) projection screen. My new hi-def projector that will fill it should be on the UPS truck tomorrow. My analog projector has given me 11 years of good service on a 100-inch (4x3) screen, but the HDMI cables are itching for something to plug into, and tomorrow they should have it.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
My DVR can record two programs at once. And what I really like about it is that I can call up playbacks on any set in the house. That is very cool.

And to rub it in even more, I'm literally in the middle of installing my new 106-inch (16x9) projection screen. My new hi-def projector that will fill it should be on the UPS truck tomorrow. My analog projector has given me 11 years of good service on a 100-inch (4x3) screen, but the HDMI cables are itching for something to plug into, and tomorrow they should have it.
I assumed it could. It's standard for most DVR systems. Your new system sounds awesome. I hope you enjoy it. I have always been somewhat voluntarily low-fi and low in the audio and video areas. I enjoy having the capability to have a variety of channels to choose from but it can become like the Bruce Springsteen song. "57 Channels and Nothing's On."

Take care and I hope everything arrives on time.
Mike

Old July 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Yeah, well my theater actually started in the 70's with a 6x8 foot screen back in the film days (I still have the projection room). That was shortly after we moved into the house. All our friends at TV stations would bring over prints of whatever features were around the shop. We had many double-feature Saturday nights, sometimes "theme nights." I remember one night the "theme" was "Movies beginning with the letter B." We ran Beach Blanket Bingo and Becket. Now that's a double-feature. But about 15 years ago film had pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, so I retooled for video. This is my first big upgrade since then.

Of course, film and video was what I did for a living, so going to the movies at home has always seemed perfectly natural.

I agree that most of what's on TV isn't worth the effort. Most of our viewing in the "Trans Lux" is DVD's, plus whatever movies I DVR, mostly from TCM. Sometimes we also watch music specials and sports on the big screen. That's about it.

I've been a theater buff ever since I was a kid. I cut my teeth at Radio City Music Hall in New York, because my father was friends with the chief of projection there. When I was 14, I got my first summer job, projectionist at a theater near where I grew up. I wrote an article about those days that was published in the magazine of the Theater Historical Society a couple years ago. Maybe I'll post it here someday.

So at least I come by it honestly. Tomorrow I'm repainting the screen wall before installing the new sheet.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Algae for fuel...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.