Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Default Sunny Sunday Morn

Good Morning Mates,

Day three of the long weekend has dawned. I have been busy for the most part.

Took in the parade on the 4th...the topic of the day on the streets was less than cheerful. The citizen's of our beloved state are angry and frustrated over the murder of the young girl by her uncle. This is a crime that if proper laws had been in place perhaps could have been avoided.
Upon researching not one senator in the state voted to allow laws like Megan law in place. It is time to get some changes in place...instead our elected officials are in the process of trying to basically close most of our state prisons to save money...and just putting people under house arrest and other non-effective forms of punishment. Our state really has the mind set that prisoners should not be punished, or made to feel bad. The whole system in the state is broken and it makes me sick.

After parade - we ate at a local summer snackbar. When you live in small town America 4th of July is basically like a class reunion, family reunion and a homecoming weekend all in one. You are guaranteed to see people from your past. There is just lots of standing around and talking.

Home for a bit. I learned an important thing about myself. If I don't have lots to do I don't handle it well. I had actual down time, and I didn't know what to do. It made me frustrated and grumpy. Pretty sad that I couldn't unwind enough to even read or enjoy the pool. I guess I just have so much going on all the time...maybe I need to make some adjustments. It was an eye opener.

We did get the Badmittion net up and dh and I played for a good while, until it was time to go to my sister's house for dinner. My son went to his other set of grandparents. I should have gone, but my mood was so foul, I just didn't dare. They litterally called me all day to see when I was coming when I had told them days before that I wasn't. It was just weird.
Got home late.

Sat. ds got up and looked ready for a run, come to find out he and his cousin had decided the day before to run in a race in memory of the City Recreation Director who killed himself a couple of years ago. Ds won over all, but somehow he got the last remaining gift certificate, which was a small ice cream cone from the local hardware store, that has an ice cream window.

After the race my niece (the one I usually hang with) did some yardsales, then back to her house, where my ds met us and the whole herd of us went downtown to check out the Chowderfest, and all the festivites. Again, lots of visiting with old acquaintances. The guys stopped at the watering hole for burgers and brews - well ds had to have soda, and us girls did the Library walking book of Alice in Wonderland - pages of the child's version on posts all along the boardwalk down by the lake...we followed the trail. It was lovely by the water.

Then I had to go to my sis-laws, as they continued to call me all day to see when I was coming. I just don't get why they needed to see me so badly. Again, it was just odd and peculiar. So I went home for a whole 5 minutes and walked the dog and picked up dh and off we went. Visited, hung out by the pool, looked at their new addition under construction and ate. Sis-law told me I needed to help her decorate and pick out the lighting and colors/carpet...etc for the addition - the thing is huge and bigger than their original house...why would they want to live with my tastes?

I said we had to leave by 7 because my fam was attending the City Boat parade that the Recreation Director told my sister and I started at 7:15 - after we ran down Main Street to catch her to ask. No one at the City docks could tell us when or where it started...(again we were annoyed).
We all rushed to get there. I cannot even begin to tell you our disgust when one boat with a couple of decorations followed by 3 other boats with none sailed by thru the bouys set out for the route. Everyone just stood there in disbelief. No wonder it hadn't been well posted, or perhaps that was the problem. We kept saying "is that it?". When we saw the three police officiers leave the dock area it seemed like that "Was it". We went home for about an hour before Fireworks (yes, my town chooses to have them on the 5th - we have yet to figure this out).
When I arrived at my mom/sisters (they live next door to each other) my nieces dh came down to tell me that we had acutally missed the real parade.
Once they got home from the embarrasment we had witnessed they heard an odd siren so my sister and her sil ran down across the lawns to the neighbors where we watch what we like to call "Hot Works" it over looks the lake. Lo, and Behold, the Police Boat was in the waters, leading a large line of Highly decorated lighted Boats thru the parade route - the time 7:45 - the one in charge of the whole day's festivities told us the wrong time, and seemingly must have organized the first pathetic 4 boat floatilla, we really have no idea what happened when all these other boats arrived what they did. I was very sorry I missed the Boat Parade.

The fireworks, for small town living, were unbelievably wondrous. We had a large family group up on "the hill" All my siblings were there, which so rarely happens and one of my nephews and wife were up with my grand nephew - who was much doted on by us all!

Today - church. I need to first go to the grocery bakery to pick up the cake I had made for the going away reception for one set of our youth leaders who are moving their family to Florida.

After that we have a grad party. Then after that the family is supposedly ascending here for pool, badmitton, bocce, smore's making, hotdogs on sticks, and what ever else fun we can think of to do.

Well - sorry this dragged on for so long.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I am exhausted after reading of Jen's weekend!
Just kidding Jen, it's nice that you have done so many activities with family and friends and enjoyed your July 4th weekend!

I did the total opposite yesterday - nothing! It was just a completely lazy day and I loved it! Hubby and I sat out in our backyard where it was surprisingly quiet, and read the paper and or books, drank iced tea and just relaxed for a change.
So much going on in this city, with the Jazz Ferstival, the Carifiesta Parade, and we sit at home and relax. Must be getting old!
I think we'll do it again today.....

donna
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

Good Morning, We also just sat around and realxed yesterday. Good for us because it was extremely hot outside. Half way thru the year already, anyone start early Christmas shopping yet?
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Default Sunny Sunday Morning

Looks like Trip isn't the only one with computer problems. This is the third time Ive started this thread.

So good morning from Southern California where the sun pours in the family room relentlessly. At least it was. I've moved to the desk top in another part ofthe house.

We did the same thing as RD and her DH: almost nothing. The same is planned for today.

Jeanne, it's sper hot here, too. But I received two fall catalogues in the mail!

Judy
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
Here I am for now:) Weather for the holiday was not the greatest, we are starting to get some sun today:)

We are almost done putting down the carpet tiles, put together a desk a chair a filing cabinet.Still have more to do, but are running out of time.

This week I will work 4 full days at work, a good thing to make up hours from the cut back. O got a good book, called, Telex from Cuba, if I have no customers, I could finish it while at work:):)

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Good evening. It is near 8pm and getting close to bedtime for me. It was a good weekend and I look for more to come.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.