Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Default Catamaran sinks off Cancun, crew abandoned passengers

Sinking Catamaran Passengers Say They Were Abandoned
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: 6/12/2008

200 American high school students were on the Sea Star catamaran when it began to take on water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More than 100 students had to be rescued from the Sea Star off the coast of Cancun, Mexico.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six students who were on the Sea Star told INSIDE EDITION their survival stories.

Saya Arakawa says students realized there was a problem when the captain and crew left the boat.

Terry Trovato says the captain told teens to "save their lives."

Kierslyn Kujawa says that there were almost 3 times as many people on the boat as there should have been.

Josh Powell, another student, stayed behind without a life vest to help those who needed it.

18-year-old Lissa Chung was flown to a Dallas, Texas hospital, but died after almost drowning.

More than 100 vacationing American high school students had to be rescued from a sinking catamaran off Cancun, Mexico.

The students say the vessel's crew abandoned ship and left the teenagers to fend for themselves.

"All the crew and captain had left. That's when we realized, maybe it's time to get off the boat!" says a student named Saya Arakawa

Surveillance video shows rescue boats jammed with students hitting the beach, and dozens of terrified teens running to safety.

"I grabbed my friend's hand and we just jumped in the water and started swimming," says Jackie Filippi, a student survivor.

Jessica Jasztal, another student on the boat, says, "I thought I was going to die. I didn't think I was going to make it out of the boat."

Six students in all told INSIDE EDITION their harrowing stories of survival, left to save themselves when the craft took on water.

"One of the girls asked the captain, 'What do we do?' and all he said was, 'Save your lives,' " recounts Terry Trovato.

Cameras captured images of a teenager being brought ashore, apparently drowned. 18-year-old Lissa Chung from Grand Prairie, Texas was flown to a Dallas hospital but died.

Josh Powell, who starts at West Point in the fall, was a hero. He stayed behind with no life vest to help others to safety, and describes the scene as "pandemonium."

It was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime, graduating teens from several high schools celebrating in the popular Mexican resort.

The boat, the Sea Star, was taking the teens snorkeling. But the survivors say it was overcrowded, with more than 200 passengers on board.

"Which is almost three times as many people as we are supposed to have on that boat," says Kierslyn Kujawa, another survivor.

The vacation organizers, Grad City, based in Massachusetts, says it is suspending all boat excursions out of Cancun pending an investigation.

Meanwhile the survivors say they're outraged by the actions of the captain and crew.

"You can't just leave a bunch of teenagers in the middle of the Gulf and expect them to fend for themselves," says Tammy.

Mexican officials are investigating the accident.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default crew abandons ship leaves passengers behind

I know this wasn't directly about cruising but it makes one reconsider their shore excursions. People need to remember that when not in the U.S we are not protected by U.S safety standards, often people book excursions with tour operators who are not reputable,not insured. Scary stuff indeed!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:07 AM
First Mate

wow -- so where did the crew go? Did they swim to shore? I wonder how far out they were?
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
wow -- so where did the crew go? Did they swim to shore? I wonder how far out they were?
I have same question with Jaxon. very confused
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Captain

This was an old post

Here is a link to the story
Crew Abandons Sinking Ship, Leaves Teens - ABC News
happened in 2008
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
david30101

the crew probably took off in the life raft that is normally stowed on that sized boat. The passengers only have life jackets.