Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Captain

Default Story about being left behing at sea while diving

Did anyone see the program about being left behind while scuba diving? How terrifing that would be, I'm afraid of the water and my husband wants me to go snorkeling with him. What if we're left behind?

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Passenger

No, but that scares me to. Because my friends CS wants to go snorkeling in Mexico. Yikes!!!

Did you hear about an American Airlines jet that just barely dodged a missile?

So glad we booked with Continental.
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I saw that, really scary!! That was Scuba diving though. With snorkeling you are not going to go as far afield and you are (I think) far less likely to get left behind. Hopefully 'divemaster' will chime in on this one.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Admiral

The movie Open Water was based on scuba divers left behind at the end of the movie the scuba diver couple was dinner for the sharks!!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Obviously, the person who was responsible for the group was a seedy person who doesn't deserve to be on the face of this world because he doesn't care for his fellow man.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Captain

The dive company says its there fault for going out of range, but the current took them

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
I saw that, really scary!! That was Scuba diving though. With snorkeling you are not going to go as far afield and you are (I think) far less likely to get left behind. Hopefully 'divemaster' will chime in on this one.
oops, I guess my brain has not connected after the surgery yet, sorry about that.
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Admiral

When we snokeled in St Maarten you could see land and easily reach it. Plus the captain took a head count before and after the snokeling. This was a carnival shore X.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Hi:

Snorkeling / skin diving takes place generally on or near the surface of the water column so you are far easier to keep track of. Divers in current underwater can move fast and if they surface in swells become lost from sight. If diving shallow you use a dive float and line you hold to mark your position on the surface. If deep you use safety sausages (long tall red/yellow/orange floats with optional lights and reflectors) when you surface and very loud whistles or air horns (quackers).

Divers should take a course in current (drift) diving before they get out in open water. Being an auditor, I trust only what I can verify and check out my operators before I drift dive with them - please do the same. As to divers being shark bait, kiddo and I have dived with the critters and at each scout campout we find venomous snakes, spiders, and etc. You make it a point to learn about your gotcha critters and other dangers and mitigate risk by adjusting your behavior. Realistically You are far more likely to die in a car accident on your way to a dive than become fish food on a dive.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas