Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Admiral

Manuel,

You admire big guns? Good for you!

You see, History has recorded large-caliber surface combat rifles as particularly effective surface combat weapons.

24 May 1941, 0600 hours, in the Denmark Strait, German battleship, Bismarck, firing 8-gun 15” main battery rifle salvos at British warships, ranged HMS Hood, flagship, with her Zeis optical range finders. Training her 15” large-caliber main battery rifles on HMS Hood, Bismarck fired her fifth main battery rifle salvo, at 16,500 yards, staddling HMS Hood with plunging fire. A single 15” main battery projectile penetrated HMS Hood’s thin armored deck, plunging into her forward main battery powder magazine. The resulting blast blew HMS Hood into two in a fireball that rained down debris on HMS Prince of Wales, 400 yards away.

(Schlachtschiff Bismarck)

Imperial Japanese Navy heavy cruisers operating together at Savo Island, destroyed 4 United States Navy heavy cruisers, quickly and efficiently.

Antenna ships, even Imperial Japanese Navy antenna ships, would have difficulty dealing with Somali pirate mother ships. Their single 5”/38 caliber popguns simply do not have the combat effectiveness required to damage a large surface ship.

A United States Navy large-caliber surface combat ship, would obliterate a Somali pirate mother ship within minutes.

(United States Northampton-class heavy cruiser, USS Chicago CA 29, along the Willamette River, Portland, Oregon, August, 1936)

Old April 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Somali pirates have hijacked a United States-flagged merchant vessel,Maersk Alabama -- including its United States crew -- off the coast of Somalia.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...f-us-crew.html

United States Navy antenna ship, USS Bainbridge DD 96, responding.

Further details as they become available......

Old April 8th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Dean,

The ship and crew have evidently been released BUT the highjackers may still have the Captain.

I get the impression they only took the Captain when they realized it was an American flagged vessel with an American Crew. Now the trick is to get the Captain back alive. I for one don't care if Maersk pays a ransom (I may well be wrong but I believe they a long time stated they would but maybe that was another line).

In any event, once we get him back then it's time for what I call some massive retribution. Time will tell if we have the resolve to book paid to this nonsense whether or not any other country is on board.

For what it's worth, back in the days of the Tripoli Pirates, Europe even back then refused to assist in a military solution and in effect, suggested we just continue paying the ransoms as they were doing. To use the vernacular of today, the United States responded with, "Picture that!" So, the end result was Stephen Decatur made a second trip to Tripoli (he had already been there once but with insufficent force etc. to permanently solve the problem) with a bunch of marines and through both force and intimidation, not only stopped the practice but if I remember my history correctly, even got a lot of ransom returned.

Time will tell if this country still has the same backbone as we did then. In all probability we'll just go to the UN and have them effectively deal with the problem in the same manner as they are North Korea. :evil:

Todd
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Todd,

What do you think of Battleship Division 2 as surface marauders operating against Somali pirate mother-ships?

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Dean,

In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise -- Surprise!"

Todd
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Update:

-- Ship and crew are safe, and steaming out of the area on their way to Kenya, their original destination.

-- Ship's captain is being held hostage in a lifeboat by an undetermined number of pirates.

-- United States Navy antenna ship, USS Bainbridge DD 96 is on-station, with addition surface ships arriving.

-- Somali pirates are backed into a corner and have no real options at this point beyond killing their hostage or surrendering.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...thursday_N.htm

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Dean,

Those skiffs didn't get that far out there by themselves given that they're several hundred miles from shore. I wonder what is being done about the Mother ship?

Then again, we might never be made privy to such a story (heh-heh-heh).

TDH
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Todd,

The solution to Somali pirate mother-ships is simple.

Classify Somali pirates as terrorists. Hunt down their mother-ships. Give them 5 minutes to abandon their ship, and then sink it with main battery rifle fire.

Try them in court as terrorists. And bomb their bases in Somalia.

A swift and permanent end to a problem that's gone on long enough.....

Old April 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Admiral

In response to their dire situation, Somali pirates have called for help. Several pirate-controlled merchant ships, and mother-ships are headed for the area.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...y-Friday_N.htm

This is turning into a real confrontation......

The United States Navy is being tested.

The United States Navy must not back down. The United States Navy must point main battery rifles at the enemy, and fire them if necessary.

The United States Navy cannot lose control of this situation……

I recommend that United States Navy warships sail out, intercept, and confront any approaching hostile ship. This is a time to take the initiative.

USS Bainbridge DD 96 must defend her charge. Any hostile vessel approaching within 100 miles, and she should be at general quarters, her decks cleared for action, and her 5”/62 caliber main battery rifle loaded and trained out. Any hostile vessel approaching within 10 miles should be fired upon.

The United States Navy has a golden opportunity to send a loud and clear message. It must not be wasted.

Old April 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Dean,

I wish we could do that straight away. The problem is as I understand it, that the pirates are bringing to the scene in "mother ships" dozens of hostages from countries all over the world and have already killed (or at least one has died in their custody) a Frenchman.

It'll be tough to take out the pirates without losing all of the hostages. Maybe that will be the end result, nevertheless I certainly hope not.

If it is or if it isn't, it should be made clear to the Somalian terrorists (and that is what they are) that we will insure, whether or not any other country supports us, that there won't be so much as a rowboat left to sail from that country if the pirates don't release ALL of the hostages or if they refuse to give up the practice entirely. The loss of innocent Somalian lives would probably be horrific, but the situation cannot continue to be tolerated and the Somalians themselves are starving at alarming rates simply because this situation has been allowed to continue as there is no real government in that rogue nation. Already, we know that probably a lot of the ransoms being paid are going to Al Quaida who are actively training terrorists in Somalia and who are bent on our destruction. Push come to shove, the situation has to be rectified, even if it means the loss of innocent lives including those of hostages.

As I write this, the pirates holding the Captain have said they are now ready to kill him.

If that happens, there should be swift and terrible retribution even if it means the loss of innocent lives be they hostages or innocent Somalians and the pirate mother ships should all be immediately taken out.

That's my take.

Todd
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Dean,

I wish we could do that straight away. The problem is as I understand it, that the pirates are bringing to the scene in "mother ships" dozens of hostages from countries all over the world and have already killed (or at least one has died in their custody) a Frenchman.

It'll be tough to take out the pirates without losing all of the hostages. Maybe that will be the end result, nevertheless I certainly hope not.

If it is or if it isn't, it should be made clear to the Ethiopian terrorists (and that is what they are) that we will insure, whether or not any other country supports us, that there won't be so much as a rowboat left to sail from that country if the pirates don't release ALL of the hostages or if they refuse to give up the practice entirely. The loss of innocent Ethiopian lives would probably be horrific, but the situation cannot continue to be tolerated and the Ethiopians themselves are starving at alarming rates simply because this situation has been allowed to continue as there is no real government in that rogue nation. Already, we know that probably a lot of the ransoms being paid are going to Al Quaida who are actively training terrorists in Ethiopia bent on our destruction. Push come to shove, the situation has to be rectified, even if it means the loss of innocent lives including those of hostages.

As I write this, the pirates holding the Captain have said they are now ready to kill him.

If that happens, there should be swift and terrible retribution even if it means the loss of innocent lives be they hostages or innocent Ethiopians and the pirate mother ships should all be immediately taken out.

That's my take.

Todd
Todd,

All reports I have seen say the pirates/terrorists are Somalian. The bases are in Somalia. There is no government in Somalia. Al Queda is training in Somalia.

You may have your countries mixed up.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Admiral

You are absolutely right, as usual, Mike and I shall amend the post. I was thinking Somalia and have no idea why I wrote Ethiopia.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
You are absolutely right, as usual, Mike and I shall amend the post. I was thinking Somalia and have no idea why I wrote Ethiopia.
Todd,

I think we all have moments like that. A couple of weeks ago I told my wife that my cousins were moving from Leicester, England to Glasgow, England. My wife looked at me for a few seconds and said that Glasgow is in Scotland.

One of those senior moments.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Four Somali pirate-controlled vessels attempting to reach the location of the hostage situation have been turned back.

United States Navy warships blocked the paths of the ships, and ordered them to withdraw.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...saturday_N.htm

I am very pleased to see the United States Navy showing force for a change. Interesting that the Somali pirates have no stomach (so far....) for main battery confrontation with the United States Navy.

Updates as they become available.

Old April 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Two more United States Navy warships have arrived on scene:

USS Boxer LHD 4, a small helicopter aircraft carrier, and USS Halyburton FFG 40.

(United States Navy amphibious assault ship USS Boxer LHD 4, undated)

(United States Navy guided missile frigate USS Halyburton FFG 40, undated)

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Admiral

We go about our lives these days, never stopping to think about things over the horizon.

We take our daily lives for granted, never considering that the World might someday hinge upon our actions.

Shakespeare wrote that “Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.”

Are you ready to take the World upon your shoulders today? What say you when Greatness calls?

I’m sure when Commanding Officer, Richard Phillips began his watch on the bridge of cargo ship, Maersk Alabama, it never occurred to him that he was the one to have greatness thrust upon him.

The great ones never do…….

The United States Navy has placed itself betwixed itself and the enemy. In the coming days, United States Navy main battery rifles may be all that stand between Captain Phillips and the enemy.

The United States Navy has placed itself in harm’s way. The place that throughout History the United States Navy has always been. There can be no more honorable place for a United States Navy warship to be than across the enemy’s bow, main battery rifles trained out.

I am not a casual observer. I am the son of gun captain, left gun, turret 3, United States Navy heavy cruiser, USS Chicago CA 29.

Dad always believed, as do I, that the proper place for a United States Navy surface combat ship was across the enemy’s bow, main battery rifles trained out.

I wonder what these kids manning USS Bainbridge DD 96’s 5”/62 caliber main battery rifle think. Do they feel that knot in their stomachs when combat approaches? Does their adrenalin flow when they train their rifle out? When the order, “commence fire, weapons free” comes across the intercom, what do they feel?

At Savo Island, Dad told me that gun crews standing in USS Chicago’s large-caliber main battery gun rooms, guns loaded, waiting for firing orders, was excruciating. But when the order, “commence fire, weapons free” came, Chicago’s main battery rifle gun crews sprang into action. Projectiles rammed, power bags rammed, breechblocks closed, primers set, guns elevated, United States Navy heavy cruiser USS Chicago CA 29 pounded the enemy with large-caliber main battery salvos at 2 rounds per minute.

The kids manning United States Navy destroyer USS Bainbridge DD 96’s 5”/62 caliber main battery rifle may be called upon to fire upon the enemy. To cross a Somali pirate mother-ship’s bow, to fire main battery rifle salvos at the enemy and sink her.

Dad, who had a particular attachment to young gun captains, would advise gun crews to load your gun, ready for action. When the order “commence fire, weapons free” comes, wait for your rife to fire and clear. When your rifle returns to 5 degrees elevation, open the breechblock, and wipe the breech clear with your left arm. Ram the projectile at full speed – it won’t hurt anything, and speeds the loading process. Load the first three bags of cordite by hand; ram the next three bags of cordite with the rammer at its slowest speed. As the breechblock spins closed, have the primer-man set the primer. Signal the main plot room, gun ready to fire.

After the forward plot room fires the gun, and it returns to 5 degrees elevation, have the projectile brought up into the gun room, waiting for loading. As soon as the breechblock is open, and you’ve wiped it clear, ram the projectile into the breech, and repeat the process. An efficient gun crew should be able to fire at 2 rounds per minute.

Don’t worry about what’s happening outside, concentrate on your job.

Open breechblock, wipe clean, ram projectile, load 3 bags, ram 3 bags, close breechblock, set primer, bring next projectile up.

You’ve trained for this. All of your career. You’re experienced. You’re ready. Concentrate on your job. Load and clear your rifle quickly and efficiently.

Somali pirates have withdrawn when confronted with United States Navy ships across their bows. At some point the enemy may choose main battery confrontation with the United States Navy

And know this – no enemy on Earth can withstand the weight of United States Navy main battery rifle fire. Across the bow of a Somali pirate mother-ship, your rifle will land shells on time and on target with effect.

Your rifle will land projectiles penetrating the enemy’s thin skin, sinking him.

You have gun captain, left gun, turret 3, United States Navy heavy cruiser, USS Chicago CA 29’s word on that…..

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Admiral

The United States Navy is set to spend billions on the next generation of aircraft carrier. The next generation aircraft carrier class will be larger, longer, and carry more aircraft than the preceeding Nimitz-class. For the first time in United States Navy history, an entire class of United States Navy warships will not fit through the Panama Canal.

Billions of taxpayer dollars are to be spent on this new project.

And so what are taxpayers getting for their dollars?

And so what is it that an aircraft carrier does? And why is it that no other navy in the world employs aircraft carriers besides the United States Navy?

As with everything on Earth, the modern United States Navy is a product of history. Prior to 1942, the aircraft carrier had a severely limited role in naval combat. The battleship with its large-caliber main battery rifles was the paramount weapon in naval surface combat. The aircraft carrier deployed flimsy canvas-covered bi-planes, with limited range, and limited combat effectiveness. The aircraft carrier deployed antique aircraft dropping obsolete weapons.

The United States Navy, in 1942, along with its fledgling aircraft carrier arm, built modern non-treaty Iowa-class 33-knot battleships. Iowas were the epitomy of surface warship design. Iowas weren’t just large-caliber bruisers, they were particularly fast. Iowa-class battleships surpassed 35 knots in sea trials. No modern surface ship exceeds the Iowa-class.

Iowa-class battleships could pursue, overtake, and obliterate any surface ship, in 1944 or 2009.

4 June 1942, at Midway Island, United States Navy surface combat strategy shifted from the battleship to the aircraft carrier, and has stayed the same every since. In long-range surface engagements, carrier-borne aircraft can sink surface combat ships, without damage to the aircraft carrier.

The aircraft carrier’s advantage in surface combat is its effective combat range. Carrier-borne aircraft can attack from 200 miles distance, whereas Iowa-class battleships have a combat effective range of 23 miles.

And 200 miles is better than 23 miles. This is important, because the entire modern United States Navy is built upon this premise. A United States Navy Nimitz-class aircraft carrier can strike targets at 200 miles distance.

United States Navy combat philosophy is dictated by 200 miles is better than 23.

So let’s take a close look at this. Those last 23 miles in particular….

United States Navy Nimitz-class aircraft carriers carry 40 F/A18 attack aircraft, each capable of carrying one 2000-pound precision-guided bomb. United States Navy aircraft carrier commanding officers prefer to be an hour’s flying time, round-trip distant from their targets. Distance equals protection for thin-skinned carriers. 40 Hornets sortie from their floating base, fly 30 minutes to their targets, drop their munitions, fly back, and re-arm if necessary.

Faster than Nimitz-class, Iowa-class arrives quickly on scene. Thick-skinned, 16” armor plating covering her, and invulnerable to most modern weapons, Iowa sails directly off-shore. Unlike her Nimitz-class sister, Iowa sails into direct range of her enemy.

Sailing neither hither or thither launching and recovering aircraft as her Nimitz-class sister, Iowa takes station off-shore. Unlike Nimitz-class, Iowa sails directly into harm’s way.

Nimitz-class attacks the enemy with 40 F/A 18 aircraft, carrying 2000-pound bombs each, at one mission per hour. Nimitz-class attacks the enemy at 80,000 pounds of ordnance per hour.

Iowa, directly off-shore, attacks the enemy with unmitigated fury. Iowa fires 9-gun salvos of 2700-pound high-explosive ammunition, at 2 rounds per minute.

9 rounds x 2700-pounds x 2 rounds / minute = 3 million pounds of high-explosive ammunition per hour.

So which is better: 80,000 pounds of ammunition, or 3 million pounds?

Is it better to spend billions and get 80,000 pounds of result, or to spend millions and get 3 million pounds of result?

If you believe 3 million pounds is better than 80,000 pounds, write your Congressman. Write your Senator.

You want economic stimulus – good for you! How about we build ships that cost less and produce more? Large-caliber surface combat ships, that sail into harm’s way with impunity, and obliterate the enemy.

How about we get more bang for our buck!

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Admiral

The monsoon season has come, pirate attacks have ceased, and the World slumbers.

And as predicted, the monsoon season has ended, and Somali pirate attacks have resumed. Albeit with more limited success……

And the War on Terror rages – not in the mountains of Afghanistan – but the deserts of Somalia…..

And while viewers of the Nightly News have forgotten about the United States Special Forces debacle in Mogadishu, Somalia, 3 October 1993, Somalis have not…..

Armed Somali pirates have begun sailing out, to capture and hold for ransom, the World’s commercial shipping.

Somali pirates, in 2 fast motorboats, pursued and attacked a target, the night of 6 October 2009.

Operating off the coast of Somalia, the night of 6 October 2009, as part of Operation Enduring Freedom, French Navy command ship, Somme A631, flagship of French Naval Forces, directed Coalition attacks on enemy targets in Somalia.

Her surface-scan radar system detected and located at great distance two small, fast, unidentified, surface targets, moving on an intercept course toward her location. IFF interrogations not responded to, and International radio channel interrogatives ignored by the unidentified craft, Somme’s commanding officer ordered his ship to general quarters.

To present as small an aspect ratio to its unidentified attacking force, Somme A631 changed course, pointing its bow at its attackers, and increasing its speed to flank speed.

Somalia pirates, eyeing a fat price in the darkness, sped at full speed toward their target. At striking distance, Somali pirates opened up with a barrage of small-arms fire.

Receiving her attacker’s small-arms fire, Somme A631 opened fire on her attackers, disabling both attacking boats. Coming alongside the enemy, Somme A631’s Marines commandeered both boats, taking 5 pirates prisoner, without sustaining damage or casualties.

(French Navy Command Ship, Somme A 631)

It’s always better to take the fight to the enemy, than to have him take it to you…..

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Admiral

As I continue to catalog modern naval gunfire exercises, I continue to be amazed at the abject ineffectiveness of modern surface combat weapons.

The term, “Fire for effect” has never had less meaning than it does today….

Take for example the naval gunfire exercise conducted recently off the coast of San Diego.

Derelict United States Navy oiler, USS Ashtabula AO 51 was towed out to sea off the coast of San Diego to be used as a naval gunfire target, to dispose of the hulk.

United States Navy oiler, USS Ashtabula AO 51 was a thin-skinned, 7470-ton, 553-foot-long Cimmaron-class fleet oiler. She was towed out to sea, and set adrift.

Seven United States Navy and NATO surface combat ships took part in this naval gunfire exercise: United States Navy antenna ships, USS O’Kane DDG 77, USS Curts FFG 38, USS Thach FFG 43, Royal Navy antenna ships, Sutherland F81, Cornwall F99, Newcastle D87, and French Navy antenna ship, Aconit F713.

14 October 2000 off the coast of San Diego, 7 United States Navy and NATO surface combat ships commenced main battery rifle fire against a non-moving derelict hulk.

Among the weapons fired at USS Ashtabula AO 51 was a Sea Skua anti-ship missile. The 320-pound anti-ship missile scored a direct hit on the derelict, punching a small hole in her hull, no other discernable effect observable whatsoever.

(USS Ashtabula AO 51 after direct hit by Sea Skua anti-ship missile, NATO naval gunfire exercise, 14 October 2000.)

United States Navy and NATO antenna ships continued pounding away at the derelict, expending, in all, 8 Harpoon missiles, 2 Standard (SM-2) missiles, 3 Sea Skau missiles, 4 aerial bombs from United States Navy S-3 aircraft, and over 100 rounds of 5”/54 caliber main battery rifle projectiles.

After the naval gunfire exercise of 14 October 2000, USS Ashtabula AO 51 continued afloat, on her merry way down the coast of California.

The United States Navy unable to sink her with naval gunfire, and now faced with a large derelict hulk drifting into shipping lanes, brought in a demolitions team to dispose of the hulk.

15 October 2000, a United States Navy demolition team transported aboard USS Ashtabula AO 51, and set breaching charges along the length of her keel. Detonating them in sequence, bow to stern, the demolitions experts brought an end to the naval gunfire exercise of 14 October 2000.

(USS Ashtabula AO 51, 15 October 2000, sinking bow first, United States antenna ship USS Thach FFG 43 in the background)

It must be comforting to know that United States Navy surface combat ships, firing main battery rifle projectiles cannot sink a non-moving derelict hulk……

Old November 11th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Dean,

Your pictures are from a site that must be logged into. Therefore they cannot be fetched and aren't showing up.

Take care,
Mike