Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Things that make you go hmmmm...

On the Aol front page today, there was a startling article about things we all have known for all our lives, and how they are disappearing. Some I have noticed already, and have embraced, others are jarring!

Going, Going, Gone?
The landscape of America is constantly changing. As culture shifts and new technologies and products are introduced, this is to be expected. But some things are impacted more than others and the once-ubiquitous can even become extinct.

Take a look at things that are quickly disappearing from our country. 25 things you may not be able to find in the U.S. for very much longer.

25- pit toilets
24-yellow pages
23--classified ads
22-movie rental stores
21-dial up internet
20 phone land lines
19-Chesapeke Bay blue crabs
18-vcrs
17-ash trees
16-ham radios
15-swimming holes
14-answering machines
13-cameras that use film
12-incandescent light bulbs
11-stand alone bowling alleys
10-milkman
9-hand written letters
8-wild horses
7-personal checks
6-drive in theaters
5-mumps and measles
4-honey bees
3-news magazines and tv news
2-analog tv
1-family farms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
things that make you go hmmmm...What do you think?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Those that I haven't seen in ages in Space City...

pit toilets
classified ads
Chesapeke Bay blue crabs
milkman
drive in theaters

The others are still in the neighborhood or within 1/2 hour of driving.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We still have a milkman around here, The dairy is right up my street...Your papers don't have classifierd ads? Don't eat crabs so, this is news...we have a few drive ins left, and I never heard the term pit toilet!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 16th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Some things I for sure agree are almost gone, other things, like Mumps and Measles, unfortunately is not even nearly gone. We had an out break of it through the university and it spread like wild fire when the kids went home over Thanksgiving. Unfortunately even in this day and age, not all kids get vaccinated, and or get boosters as needed.

Other things like Film Camara, this I agree, I have some very good ones, but I never use them any more............

TV news gone? I sure hope not, I do always watch the news, no wait, I listen to the news, I have it on like now when I am at the keyboard working.

Hand written letter I also rarely if ever get any more, and I used to get five or six a day from over sea's. Now it is all email, BUT we still send cards out for special occasions, Birth, death, grads, birthdays, anniversary and so on.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Things that make you go hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
On the Aol front page today, there was a startling article about things we all have known for all our lives, and how they are disappearing. Some I have noticed already, and have embraced, others are jarring!

Going, Going, Gone?
The landscape of America is constantly changing. As culture shifts and new technologies and products are introduced, this is to be expected. But some things are impacted more than others and the once-ubiquitous can even become extinct.

Take a look at things that are quickly disappearing from our country. 25 things you may not be able to find in the U.S. for very much longer.

25- pit toilets
24-yellow pages
23--classified ads
22-movie rental stores
21-dial up Internet
20 phone land lines
19-Chesapeake Bay blue crabs
18-vcrs
17-ash trees
16-ham radios
15-swimming holes
14-answering machines
13-cameras that use film
12-incandescent light bulbs
11-stand alone bowling alleys
10-milkman
9-hand written letters
8-wild horses
7-personal checks
6-drive in theaters
5-mumps and measles
4-honey bees
3-news magazines and tv news
2-analog tv
1-family farms
Trip:

Pit toilets: Still have them in a number of the less developed areas of State and Country parks. They had them at various parts of the hiking trails at the park we camped at last week.

Yellow Pages: It's sad but we just throw them in the recycling bin when they arrive. The ones we receive aren't for our area so they are little use and I use the Internet.

Dial up Internet: This has plummeted in the last three years. The latest Pew Internet study shows that only 10% of all U.S. Internet users are on dial up. At the end of 2005 it was 40%. I'm still amazed that there are people who have broadband and still pay for services like AOL.

Land Lines: As long as there is DSL there will be land lines. I'm keeping mine until they pry it from my cold dead hands. Actually most of your long distance is being converted to IP even though you don't know it. Local, land line, modulated service, is still used for local calls. (that's not completely accurate but close enough). Plus it works when the power goes out.

Ash Trees: Are you sure it wasn't "ash trays". There is an ash disease that came over from Asia a few years ago but we sure have "A LOT" of ash trees around here.

Incandescent Bulbs: I don't know about this. There still are plenty around. The fluorescents are nice but, gee, let's substitute mercury for energy efficiency.

Wild Horses: There are still about 30,000 + wild horses in the west. This is actually more than there were twenty years ago. There is actually a range war between cattlemen and the wild horses. I'm in favor of people adopting the horses but a few thousand of them may be sent to the slaughterhouse. My daughter works with a Mustang adoption group.

Mumps and measles: There are far fewer cases. There are still outbreaks and one interesting thing is that even college kids that were vaccinated still contracted measles. The efficacy rating of the vaccine has been lowered to 87%.

Honey Bees: The Cell Phones are screwing up their navigation systems. At least that's what one study shows. The jury is still out but the population is down. It could be cross breeding that is causing the drop in bee population.

TV News?????????: There are entire networks that are thriving. CNN, FOX and local news that now starts at 4:00 p.m. and goes on until 7:00 p.m. central time.

Analog TV: Yep. It all goes digital next February. But you can get a converter box for about $60 and the government will kick in $40 for the purchase. That old Magnavox still has life in it.

Family Farms: Yep they are becoming fewer and fewer. The days of the 180 acre dairy farm are about gone. It's almost impossible to handle the debt load or the capital investment and justify the return. It's also hard to keep young people in farming. There are far more lucrative professions that pay much more with far fewer hours.

Larger family farms still do thrive but they are now "corporate" family farms with thousands of acres and hundreds of head of livestock.

There are some things that make me go hmmm. But some of those things just make me want to say to the writer: Get out of your cubicle and see America.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Admiral

25- pit toilets -- do you mean pay toilets? I don't know what a pit toilet is.

24-yellow pages -- what a blessing their disappearance will be. Better for the envioronment, plus the horrid amount of space they occupy. You can find much more online much faster.

23--classified ads -- ditto. You can find anything online in a heartbeat.

22-movie rental stores -- the worst thing about renting a movie is going to the store to get it and return it. Netflix is cheaper, saves lots of fuel, gives you access to far more inventory, and is very efficient. Downloads and VOD are coming on strong too.

21-dial up internet -- again, no regrets. If I had to go back to dialup, I'd probably jump out a window.

20 phone land lines -- my attitude is that I don't care how I get the signal, as long as I get it.

19-Chesapeke Bay blue crabs -- THIS ONE REALLY HURTS

18-vcrs -- big danger here. I have stockpiled three low-time machines because I have too much software on VHS to transfer.

17-ash trees -- anybody who is a baseball fan and has watched the constant shattering of maple bats over the last couple years knows about the shortage. It's harder and harder to find a good piece of ash.

16-ham radios -- quaint.

15-swimming holes -- sad.

14-answering machines -- really?

13-cameras that use film -- I died hard on this one, but finally surrendered my Nikon. I'm very happy with digital now that I'm used to it.

12-incandescent light bulbs -- I'll believe that when it happens.

11-stand alone bowling alleys -- as opposed to what?

10-milkman -- haven't seen one in 25 years.

9-hand written letters -- that's under the individual's control, so if they disappear it will be because we let them disappear. I still write them (but not as many).

8-wild horses -- what will we have left that can't drag secrets out of us?

7-personal checks -- the sooner they go the better.

6-drive in theaters -- very sad. Great memories.

5-mumps and measles -- hooray!

4-honey bees -- not good

3-news magazines and tv news -- won't happen as quickly as some predict.

2-analog tv -- February 2009. But so what? As long as you can still watch Oprah, who cares?

1-family farms -- do we still have some?
Old July 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

25- pit toilets - Check any rest area in the great state of Maine! They do exist.
24-yellow pages - They delivered 4 huge ones here in the year I have been here.
23--classified ads -We get a leaflet every week in the mail full of classified ads.
22-movie rental stores - Blockbusters are still everywhere
21-dial up Internet -I am not surrised, too slow.
20 phone land lines - I have the internet based phone service
19-Chesapeake Bay blue crabs - Never had any.
18-vcrs - Have not used one in years
17-ash trees - Sadly
16-ham radios -
15-swimming holes - Alexandria NH one popular swimming hole called "Heaven"
14-answering machines - gone but not forgotten
13-cameras that use film -Still have my 35 mm but never use it.
12-incandescent light bulbs - Changed everything to CFL in my house.
11-stand alone bowling alleys - There is one right near here.
10-milkman - Have not seen one in years
9-hand written letters - My 91 year old uncle still writes letters. I email or type and mail. There is a website to go to and write a letter and they will print it and mail it for you for free.
8-wild horses - Sadly
7-personal checks - I have em'
6-drive in theaters - Weirs Beach, Laconia NH
5-mumps and measles - I had em' many years ago.
4-honey bees - sadly
3-news magazines and tv news - What happened to NewsWeek? I watch 2 hours of news every evening.
2-analog tv -bye bye
1-family farms
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

About the light bulbs -

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Captain

I have to stand up for the ham radio one. As a licensed ham (ok I got a little geek in me, who doesnt), it will be around forever. It's not quite as popular as it once was...There are so many different variations and modes of it these days. It's actually a very fun hobby. But most importantly, if all other communication goes down (which does happen) it's still the only thing that can be used to communicate!...Your cell phone won't, your landline won't, your computer won't...But ham radio will, at least portable/battery powered units. Every year, many lives are saved by it.

I still like to go to the video store. I figure if I can't get my lazy butt up to go to the video store then things have gotten pretty bad. I suppose soon we won't ever have to get up to do anything...Also, Netflix is fine if you watch a fair amount of movies. But if you only rent one or so a week or sometimes not even that often, I'm not really sure it's worth it.
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

The DH wants me to get my license. I just need to find the time to do it. And that is his exact words. If anything happened that would be the only means of communication worldwide.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Admiral

My Air Force pension goes into a separate checking account which I use to pay certain bills and my transportation costs for work. Last week I wrote a check on it to pay for my passport renewal. What with online billpay, ACH automatic withdrawls and using the Visa features of my debit card, it was the first actual check I wrote in over two years. We also use far fewer checks for the same reasons on our main account for things like paying our Avon lady.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

hey mehawk

there is a drive - in theater between FM 249 and HWY290 on 2920. Between Tomball and Cypress Tx. ... near Cypress. My daughter and her family go there all the time. but i haven't been there yet.
just FYI
debbyedoops
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Actually, CFLs (Compact Flourescent Lights) are already obsolete.

What's the current technology is LED bulbs. They are incredibly bright, and use almost zero power. They give off a very white light, unlike the garish flickering light of CFLs.

Old July 17th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Things that make you go hmmmm...

Unfortunately those like my mother , who would LOVE any kind of high speed because the technology has still not been updated enough for them to have it. They have promised "soon" for three years now, thats what happens when like in her area, there is no competition, only Ma Bell.

Mumps vaccine , the efficiancy of the vaccine is expected to keep decreasing with time, as with other issues like whooping cough making come backs. ( only they call it get this "whoop like cough". ) This is why in Canada we saw mass booster campaigns for the college kids . We have learnt a difficult lesson............Bugs mutate eventually.......it's hard to stay one step ahead of the game.

LED lights, I bought some night lights for in my mothers house, dont want her to fall in the night, I was surprised with how good they are, and they were not that costly! I bought some more for my house.

You know, I have never been to a drive in movie! I know we used to have them here locally, but I never went..........

Did go to the swimming hole though out in the country.........

Family farms, we sure do! Have some left that is, where my mother lives, its all family farms, some very large and some small, and out property is disignated as a farm as well, and while we no longer farm it, two farmers rent her land for growing of wheat and corn, as well as grazing for dairy cows. ( 350 acres )
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Actually, CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lights) are already obsolete.

What's the current technology is LED bulbs. They are incredibly bright, and use almost zero power. They give off a very white light, unlike the garish flickering light of CFLs.
Dean,

I have replaced my garage lights, outside lights and basement lights with LED bulbs. I also have a number of LED night lights throughout the house and they are great. I actually hate the CFL bulbs. The buzz and the tiny flicker drives me crazy. We have a large row of bulbs in our bathroom and replaced the incandescents with decorative CFL's and after three months I got rid of them. They weren't the cheap ones either.

I love the LED bulbs.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me