Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Sorry Sherry, let me translate!

427 refers to the "size" of the engine, measured in Cubic Inch Displacement. A 427, is a V-8 engine, with 427 cubic inches of internal volume, in which to burn gas. The larger the internal volume of the cylinders, the more gas the engine can burn, and the more powerful it is.

A 427 CID engine is a MONSTER -- especially by today's puny standards.

And like any good monster, a 427 has a huge appetite. That's why it requires a huge carburetor. Thus the Holley 850 Double Pumper. It is a HUGE carburetor, producing 850 cubic feet per minute of fuel/air mixture into the engine.

But no good monster stops there! If you're going -- go all the way!

A blower sits on top of the engine, and forces even more fuel/air into the engine. The more fuel/air mixture you can force into the engine, the more powerful it becomes.

A blown 427 with a Holley 850 Double Pumper will produce between 450 - 500 horsepower. Enough to burn rubber in all 4 gears!

You know, we're going to run out of oil anyway -- I say turn all those econo-boxes into razor blades. It's time to bring back the 427's!!

Old July 21st, 2008, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Maybe that's what the US needs to go to more so - then they would just bounce off one another.

Sooner or later, the big SUV has to go. Mommas won't be able to keep taking kiddies to school in their Hummers and running those trying to observe the school zone speed limit off the road.
The funny part to me is that the feds virtually created the SUV when they passed the luxury and gas-guzzler taxes. Trucks were exempt, so the car-makers dropped their station-wagons and built SUV's to get around the luxury tax.
I probably don't have a dog in this hunt. I am a motorcycle addict since age 13, and my "commuters" get 60 and 100 mpg respectively. My car, a 1986 Crown Victoria with water injector gets 20-23, but I have to put stabilizer in the gas to keep it from going bad sitting in the driveway. But this sure makes for good reading.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
check this out
naturally OUR laws will prohibit having it here

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/...roduction.html
That is a cool idea. My problem is this car has "Deathtrap" written all over it. I need safety features like air bags and stuff.
Or, as an alternative, we could stop issuing licenses to people who cannot drive. You would think the second amendment was about driving the way we actually treat the two privileges.
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Mean Dean,

Boy do those three nuumbers (427) bring back memories to a good 'ol boy what's growed up in NASCAR country afore the rest of the country ever learnt what them initials stood for. I mean I'm a talkin' 'bout back in the days when a body could hang out in the pits up at Bristol with the likes of the #28 Ford pilot Fred Lorenzen. 'bout the only yankee what's drove back then and who hailed outta' Elmhurst Illinois along with Glenn "Fireball" Roberts who drove the #22 Pontiac and Junior Johnson in his Chevrolet from cross the mountains over yonder in North Wilkesboro; not like today's drivers what's are more akin to rock stars. Back in them days in the early to mid sixties , Banjo Matthews used to build all those frames over in Asheville around which they built the bodies that they dumped them 427's and 428's into. And comin' up this week is the 50th Anniversary of Bob Mitchum's Thunder Road, that movie about haulin' moonshine whiskey all over southwest Kentucky and across Tennessee. 'Cause you knowed that's why and where it all started. And I'll tell you one thing brother, you ain't never lived until you've done one of them high speed "about faces" or "boot leg turns" while drivin' a '56 Crown Vic V-8 on a two lane stretch 'o highway. Whooowee! That thar's almost better'n samplin' the merchandise!

Todd
Now you've done it, dang ya'. Now I'll spend the rest of the day listening to "Copperhead Road" and I won't be able to write diddley without ripping off Steve Earle, and that cranky old b****** will sue me in a heartbeat!
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
I have a 3.4 litre V-6 and always got between 30-33 mpg highway (at 65 and 70 mph mind you) and 26 local. Now I consider it good if I get 25 highway. Why? It's the ethanol that now makes up 10 percent of the gasoline sold locally. Ethanol burns at a much lower btu than gasoline so doesn't have anywhere near the energy. Hence, you may be reducing your use of petroleum but you're probably going to trade that for lower gas mileage and concomitant rise in fuel usage.

Todd
15 years ago, my father had a 1988 Olds 88 with a 3.8. I borrowed it once for a trip from Nashville to Montgomery and averaged 36mpg [almost all on I-65]. Three years later, I had a 1993 Geo Metro that averaged 52 highway and 48 mixed driving. The nearly identical Chevy Aveo now tops out at 34. Based on my own testing, gasohol accounts for about a 10% drop, so my opinion is that the rest of the approximately 25% drop since the 88-93 period is due to "improvements" in fuel injection systems going the same direction as "improvements" in software.;-) If any of those old engineers are still alive, let's bring them out of retirement.
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Sorry Sherry, let me translate!

427 refers to the "size" of the engine, measured in Cubic Inch Displacement. A 427, is a V-8 engine, with 427 cubic inches of internal volume, in which to burn gas. The larger the internal volume of the cylinders, the more gas the engine can burn, and the more powerful it is.

A 427 CID engine is a MONSTER -- especially by today's puny standards.

And like any good monster, a 427 has a huge appetite. That's why it requires a huge carburetor. Thus the Holley 850 Double Pumper. It is a HUGE carburetor, producing 850 cubic feet per minute of fuel/air mixture into the engine.

But no good monster stops there! If you're going -- go all the way!

A blower sits on top of the engine, and forces even more fuel/air into the engine. The more fuel/air mixture you can force into the engine, the more powerful it becomes.

A blown 427 with a Holley 850 Double Pumper will produce between 450 - 500 horsepower. Enough to burn rubber in all 4 gears!

You know, we're going to run out of oil anyway -- I say turn all those econo-boxes into razor blades. It's time to bring back the 427's!!
So basically what you are saying is big engine go fast burn gas.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Exactly, Sherry!

So when are you gunna drop a monster into your car?

Old July 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Exactly, Sherry!

So when are you gunna drop a monster into your car?
I can just see it a tricked out hyundai sonata. Should I get the racing stripes to?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Well I'll tell you what -- if you can find a mechanic who can drop a 427 into a Sonata, your car would be the talk of the town!

Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Sherry,

What would they call a Fresno Area Rapid Transit..........?
All I know is that train runs on wind power.
Wouldn't that be natural gas? snark
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96