Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Default Hint to improve gas mileage

Hi all I found this site on how to improve you gas mileage I thought I would share with the group. I do need to check my tire pressure. Also what does use your overdrive gears mean?

I'm wondering how much these things will increase my gas mileage. I get about 24 miles to the gallon. I turned off the air conditioner part way through my ride home and that made a big difference. Of course it's 91 degrees and I was overheated but hey with these gas prices it's all worth it.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml
Drive Sensibly
Observe the Speed Limit
Remove Excess Weight
Avoid Excessive Idling (that hate that at work to)
Use Cruise Control
Use Overdrive Gears
Keep Your Engine Properly Tuned
Check & Replace Air Filters Regularly
Keep Tires Properly Inflated
Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Admiral

The biggest thing, slow down, is what I notice for me. It takes hardly extra time, but it does make a differance especially as I am driving now about 2000 KM a week because my mother is sick. Also, tires under preasure does guzzle.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Ah Sherry, you've been listening to too many Jiffy Lube commercials!

However, their advice, however self-serving, is generally correct.

Let's start with the basics:

Tire pressure: harder tires have less rolling-resistance, so your engine doesn't have to work as hard to keep the car moving. Inflate your tires to the recommended PSI, as indicated on the side of your tires. It's free, and it helps, so do this right now.

Tune up: your engine burns more of the gas inside of it, so it can do the same amount of work, on less fuel. However, cars these days can go 50k miles between tune-ups, and they can be quite expense. Save this option for later.

Change air filter: drivers believe their cars engines burn gasoline. Not true -- engines burn air. The gasoline acts as a catalyst to ignite the air. So the more air that gets to the engine, the bigger the bang for the same amount of gasoline. Engines generally burn 14-18 parts air to 1 part gasoline. Air filters make a difference, and generally cost between $12 and $20, so they're cost efficient compared with gasoline. Do this now.

Fuel system cleaner: A laxative for your fuel system. It helps a little, and doesn't cost much. It's most likely cost-effective, so go ahead and do it now.

Oil change: Motor Oil keeps your engine from blowing up, so it should be changed every 3000 miles, or 3 months, whichever comes first. The reason to change your oil is to keep your engine from wearing out, not to improve gas mileage. Do this when it's scheduled to be done.

Overdrive gears: Remember when you were a kid, and got your first 10-speed bike? Remember how much faster you could go in 10th-gear (on a level road), than you could in 1st-gear, with much less effort? Your car works exactly the same way. Any gear past 4th gear, in a manual trasmission is considered overdrive, and should be used as much as possible! Do this right now!

Observe the speed limit: This is where you're going to have to do as I say, not as I do...... The faster you go, above 35 MPH, the greater the aerodynamic drag on your car. As your car's speed increases linearly, the aerodynamic drag increases exponetially. For example, the drag on your car at 60 MPH is much greater than at 50 MPH. 35 MPH seems to give the best balance of car-speed versus aerodynamic drag. If you want the best gas mileage, go 35 MPH down the highway. If you don't want to get shot, go 70 MPH.

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Man we were doing so good until you got to the last one. I'm a speeder I can't picture going 35 to get home. It's probably better safewise to driver slower, I will try and reduce my speed. My car has only 40K miles so I won't worry about the tune up.

It seems air pressure, air filter and possible oil change (I have to read the sticker on my car to see last oil change). I'm a commuter 22 miles each way so the best gas mileage is important.

Does Overdrive work with an automatic car? How do you use the fuel system cleaner? Thanks for the Information Mean Dean.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

There have been many studies done on frequency of oil changes. The result of most is changing at 3000 for 'normal' driving is just another way to waste OIL. The modern oil blends do not break down as quickly as they did in the past. You can look those up. Otherwise, you save gas to save on oil consumption but still using it to change your oil every 3000 miles. IMO, change to synthetic oil and change it around 7500 miles. But make sure it is really synthetic oil. Again, there are all kinds of sites on the web about oil.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Bobby -- it's good to see you posting again! I wondered what happened to you! I'm gunna kick your butt in the college football pool this season......!

Sherry, fuel system cleaner is an additive that you pour into your gas tank when it's full. It comes in 12-20 ounce bottles, and costs $5-$8 per bottle. STP and Valvoline are good, but Lucas is the best.

As for overdrive, a lot of automatic transmissions come with it. Generally, an automatic transmission has 3 gears, so any more than that are overdrive gears. Since the transmission operates automatically, you don't have any way of shifting it into overdrive. And that's one of the advantages of a manual transmission -- you do the thinking, not the transmission.........

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If the D on your display for your automatic transmission has a circle around it then you have overdrive.

I haven't seen a car with automatic transmission, in the last ten years, that doesn't have overdrive.

On some vehicles, such as my wife's Camry it registers D for overdrive and 4 if you have the console shift moved to the left.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Admiral

The bus will save your fuel mileage also. I use our Metro Park & Ride system. It is reletively painless.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I think that the point they are trying to make is that we use the recommended "grade" of motor oil. By that I believe that they mean using the proper viscosity, or weight of motor oil. Lots of gear heads,,,and yes I'm guilty too, started using 20W50 motor oil, with the belief that the heavier oil would afford more protection for the engine when HOT. While this was probably true, it didn't give much protection in that first few seconds when the engine was cold, and first started up. New care makers almost all call for 5W20 or 5W30 weight oil in our vehicles. The lighter oil gives much better protection to the engine when cold, and the lighter weight is less restrictive to the engine turning, so provides a bit less friction, which results in better fuel economy, while still affording excellent protection to vital engine components.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
The bus will save your fuel mileage also. I use our Metro Park & Ride system. It is reletively painless.
That is just not going to happen. The bus system here is not that good and I don't like the light railway system. I miss BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

1. Remove Engine and Transmission
2. Break out windshield and windows
3. Hitch a team of mules to the grille
4. Proceed on your way and don't forget to put a shovel in the trunk to clean up after you.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

I just got an E-Mail from someone with a picture of an Amish guy with a sign on his horse and buggy that reads,,,,"Who's Laughing Now?" Better go out and select a good horse soon!

Ken
"Sky"
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Bobby -- it's good to see you posting again! I wondered what happened to you! I'm gunna kick your butt in the college football pool this season......!

Sherry, fuel system cleaner is an additive that you pour into your gas tank when it's full. It comes in 12-20 ounce bottles, and costs $5-$8 per bottle. STP and Valvoline are good, but Lucas is the best.
thanks Dean
I think the 'rookie' got us both last season didn't he ?

They say 3 or 4 ounces of auto transmission fluid in your gas will clean your injectors

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Admiral

What about driving smaller cars with better fuel consumption figures, would that not be more fuel-efficient and at the same time ditch the gas-guzzlers? Why,,, they will never have the gas again at those cheap price that once made them viable, just asking?

Or ask a second hand car salesman, how much your gas guzzler is now worth!
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
What about driving smaller cars with better fuel consumption figures, would that not be more fuel-efficient and at the same time ditch the gas-guzzlers? Why,,, they will never have the gas again at those cheap price that once made them viable, just asking?

Or ask a second hand car salesman, how much your gas guzzler is now worth!
If you click the link that is on the list. I have a fuel-efficient car. It's not a hybrid (I can't afford those) but I get between 24 to 40 Miles Per Gallon. I just want to increase the so the car can be as efficient as possible.
Thinking about buying a new vehicle?
You've come to the right place.

www.fueleconomy.gov has gas mileage estimates and more information for 1985-2009 model year cars. Here is a list also on the website that list the most and least fuel effient cars.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bestworst.shtml

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Sherry,

What would they call a Fresno Area Rapid Transit..........?

Old July 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Sherry,

What would they call a Fresno Area Rapid Transit..........?
All I know is that train runs on wind power.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Admiral

check this out
naturally OUR laws will prohibit having it here

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/...roduction.html

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
check this out
naturally OUR laws will prohibit having it here

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/...roduction.html
That is a cool idea. My problem is this car has "Deathtrap" written all over it. I need safety features like air bags and stuff.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Maybe that's what the US needs to go to more so - then they would just bounce off one another.

Sooner or later, the big SUV has to go. Mommas won't be able to keep taking kiddies to school in their Hummers and running those trying to observe the school zone speed limit off the road.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Gee, when I was a kid, I took the bus to school...........

Old July 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I walked !

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

From the studies I've read, there is very little difference between driving with the air conditioner off and the windows down or driving with the a/c on and the windows up. But maybe this is more true on highway driving as opposed to local driving.

I have a 3.4 litre V-6 and always got between 30-33 mpg highway (at 65 and 70 mph mind you) and 26 local. Now I consider it good if I get 25 highway. Why? It's the ethanol that now makes up 10 percent of the gasoline sold locally. Ethanol burns at a much lower btu than gasoline so doesn't have anywhere near the energy. Hence, you may be reducing your use of petroleum but you're probably going to trade that for lower gas mileage and concomitant rise in fuel usage.

And if we try and do the right thing and purchase a very fuel efficient vehicle in order to save money on gasoline, they've ratcheted up the price of the gas saving vehicle to such a degree that its overall probably cheaper to go with a vehicle that doesn't produce quite as good mileage. All of which of course means, you're going to have to use more fuel.

'Reckon you just can't win.

Todd
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Todd,

You're probably right. Junk that V-6, and drop in a blown 427, with a Holley 850 double-pumper. Light those tires up in all 4 gears.......! 8)

Old July 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Mean Dean,

Boy do those three nuumbers (427) bring back memories to a good 'ol boy what's growed up in NASCAR country afore the rest of the country ever learnt what them initials stood for. I mean I'm a talkin' 'bout back in the days when a body could hang out in the pits up at Bristol with the likes of the #28 Ford pilot Fred Lorenzen. 'bout the only yankee what's drove back then and who hailed outta' Elmhurst Illinois along with Glenn "Fireball" Roberts who drove the #22 Pontiac and Junior Johnson in his Chevrolet from cross the mountains over yonder in North Wilkesboro; not like today's drivers what's are more akin to rock stars. Back in them days in the early to mid sixties , Banjo Matthews used to build all those frames over in Asheville around which they built the bodies that they dumped them 427's and 428's into. And comin' up this week is the 50th Anniversary of Bob Mitchum's Thunder Road, that movie about haulin' moonshine whiskey all over southwest Kentucky and across Tennessee. 'Cause you knowed that's why and where it all started. And I'll tell you one thing brother, you ain't never lived until you've done one of them high speed "about faces" or "boot leg turns" while drivin' a '56 Crown Vic V-8 on a two lane stretch 'o highway. Whooowee! That thar's almost better'n samplin' the merchandise!

Todd
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Michael's right about the bus. The problem is that public transportation is not up to the level of Europe. When our cars are in for service I take the train to work. It takes almost as long to get to the train station as it does to drive to work. A twenty minute drive turns into an hour and a half. I think we need to do it all. Drill for oil, invest in wind, build cars that get better mileage etc. This problem will require an all in approach. Something similar to Kennedy going to the moon. Just my opinion. Mike
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
I walked !
I rode in the mornings and walked in the afternoons.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
I walked !
I walked to the bus stop in summer 100 degree weather than transferred buses is Downtown Oakland. Special summer school.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Todd,

You're probably right. Junk that V-6, and drop in a blown 427, with a Holley 850 double-pumper. Light those tires up in all 4 gears.......! 8)
Wow I have no idea what you just said it sounds good through.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
I walked !
I walked to the bus stop in summer 100 degree weather than transferred buses is Downtown Oakland. Special summer school.
We walked to and from school. Of course, we didn't have to worry so much about some weirdo pervert bothering us either. I suppose the kids would have whipped his butt if one had bothered us.
But that was back when we went to school to learn without the aid of a laptop, calculator, etc. Mommas didn't have Hummers to drive us to school and dad was at work already.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten