Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Bonnie Mackie
Default Transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia

My husband and I will be flying to Rome for a few days then taking a repositioning cruise back to the States. Any suggestions on the best/most reasonable way to get from our hotel to the port?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Easist and most humane way is to hire a car service. Seems to me it was in the 100 Euro range for the two of us.
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Captain

We went on the 12 day Grand Med cruise last year, but first spent a few days in Rome. We booked all of our transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship to hotel/airport) through Rome Cabs. Stafano is great and has a good fleet of vehicles for almost any size group. We met two other couples on line as part of a meet on board group and I arranged to share the transport from hotel to ship and ship to hotel/airport with them. He had the best prices. A lot of people in this group used his service and everyone loved it. His direct e-mail address is allagrande@hotmail.it or you can google Rome Cabs to look at his transfers and tours with rates.

Hope you have a great time.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia

Bonnie Mackie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I will be flying to Rome for a few days then taking a repositioning cruise back to the States. Any suggestions on the best/most reasonable way to get from our hotel to the port?
You can use a taxi, but it won't be cheap. Your cruise line's transfer service also won't be cheap, but it might well be the better option.

BTW, most cruise lines do sell a "transfer only" option between Rome and Civitavecchia.

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Bonnie Mackie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
You can use a taxi, but it won't be cheap. Your cruise line's transfer service also won't be cheap, but it might well be the better option.

BTW, most cruise lines do sell a "transfer only" option between Rome and Civitavecchia.

Norm.
I may be wrong here, but I thought that the cruise line transfers were from the airport to ship or ship to airport. I didn't think that the transfers were available if you were staying in a port a few days between the time you fly in and the time you sail.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Nothin but blue skies,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I may be wrong here, but I thought that the cruise line transfers were from the airport to ship or ship to airport. I didn't think that the transfers were available if you were staying in a port a few days between the time you fly in and the time you sail.
Most cruise lines do offer transfers from Rome to Civitavecchia for passengers with "independent arrangements" in Rome before or after the cruise. If you book a hotel package through the cruise line, the transfer directly to or from the hotel is included in the price of the hotel package. If you book a hotel on your own, you have to get to or from the transfer point.

FWIW, similar arrangements are available for other European ports of embarkation that are a distance from the respective destination, and also between Anchorage and either Seward or Whittier on Alaska cruises.

Norm.
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I agree with the above post. Cruselines will provide transportation to the port if you stay at one of their recommended hotels prior to the cruise. I have to give you a word of caution. The price for the hotel thru the cruisline will be per person and not per room. The price of the hotel will include the transportation to the port. I have a friend of mine who is taking a pre and post cruise hotel stay. He is staying a hotel recommended by the cruiseline. It is a very nice hotel. the price includes transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship. Most travel agents can also provide this type service. Last year my travel agent made arrangements for me to have a private car pick my wife and I up at the airport to the hotel and three days later take us to our ship.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

People always talk about taking the train to the port, which involves a taxie fron the train station to the ship . The train is the least expensive. I agree with AR on this one get a driver and have him drive you to the ship when you want to go. Well worth the money. I think with the tip it was about $140. euros the end of 2006. It is not cheap but will make the trip to the port so much more relaxing and enjoyable. A fall back position would be to take the ship transfer. Remember the bus will not leave until it is full. That can make for a long wait. Mike
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Captain

When we went on the Grand Med cruise out of Rome last year, our TA made our flight and hotel arrangements for us, after we had already booked the cruise. We stayed in Rome a few days prior and one day and night post cruise. I was able to link up (on-line) with other cruisers who shared the cost of the driver with us. One couple was staying a few blocks away from us in another hotel and the driver picked us up, and arranged to pick them up a few minutes later in a nice van. The cost was approximately 70 euros per couple from Rome to the port. After the cruise there were 3 couples in the group with the private driver (Stefano of Rome Cabs) and they picked us up at the ship and drove one couple to the airport and the other two couples to our hotel next to the airport for a very nominal fee. The driver was very prompt and handled all of our luggage for us.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

We used Stefano from RomeCabs in June for several things, including picking us up at our hotel and driving us to Civitevecchia......FLAWLESS..ALL of it.....and so worth the money.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Admiral

AF1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I have to give you a word of caution. The price for the hotel thru the cruisline will be per person and not per room. The price of the hotel will include the transportation to the port.
That's true but, in my experience with Celebrity, there's not much difference between the price of the cruise line's package and the sum of the "prepaid" rate at the hotel and the transfer purchased separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
the price includes transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship.
Splitting hairs here, the transportation between the airport and the hotel is included in the airline's air package. If you book your own flights, it is not included. Some hotels, however, offer their own shuttle service to the airport.

Norm.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

TravelMike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
People always talk about taking the train to the port, which involves a taxie fron the train station to the ship . The train is the least expensive. I agree with AR on this one get a driver and have him drive you to the ship when you want to go. Well worth the money. I think with the tip it was about $140. euros the end of 2006. It is not cheap but will make the trip to the port so much more relaxing and enjoyable. A fall back position would be to take the ship transfer. Remember the bus will not leave until it is full. That can make for a long wait. Mike
For 140 Euros, you probably can take the cruise line's transfer for two and get change back!

Norm.
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
TravelMike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
For 140 Euros, you probably can take the cruise line's transfer for two and get change back!

Norm.
I've done private transport to/from Rome several times, the last time in May we paid $25 US per person. I think the most we ever paid was $60 pp.
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Kuki, $25. per person is very cheap. I could be off a little maybe it was 120 euros with the tip, and the exchange rate was better than the current rate. We used Stafeno I got his name from these boards. It was an hour plus trip from the hotel to the ship. I am surprised you got such a low rate. It seemed fare to me it normally cost me about $35. for a cab ride to the airport, and it is only ten miles from our house to SFO. It seemed good to me but know I am not so sure. Anyway the point I was making is that it made the trip better. The driver was waiting for us when we stepped off the ship, and that made the transfer process back to Rome very easy. Mike
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

I should have included our cost with Stefano/RomeCabs.......it was 150€ = $201.00 for 6 of us or 25€ per person = $33.50. This was on June 17, 2008.
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgram
I should have included our cost with Stefano/RomeCabs.......it was 150€ = $201.00 for 6 of us or 25€ per person = $33.50. This was on June 17, 2008.
If memory serves me, we spent about the same with Stefano in April/May 2007. It was so nice to know that we had a reputable driver waiting for us each time we needed transport, and by sharing the fare, was very affordable. Stefano's service was always prompt and courteous. After hearing several first hand stories of theft on the trains, we felt much more comfortable with the private service.
2011 Monarch of the Seas