Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: What do you think the woman in the picture is saying?
Let me in! I am hungry! 6 20.69%
Hey! I still have a gift card to use! 14 48.28%
Where is everyone? I am starving! 5 17.24%
Any leftovers? 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

mehawk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Bennigan's is closing???
No. Bennigan's is closed.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Some employees came to work to see a sign on the door....Not a nice way to learn you are out of work? That wasn't handled very good IMHO.
That's true, but it's "usual and customary" in the restaurant business. At least they put a sign in the window. I remember one restaurant that closed after a normal Friday night, and all of its furnshings -- booths, tables, etc. -- were gone before 8:00 AM the next morning (a Saturday). And the owner of a very upscale restaurant that also handled functions, Hugo's Lighthouse, decided to renovate the place and reopen it under a different name, so he also simply did not open the place on Saturday. Not only did the employees find out when they showed up for work, but they gave no notice whatsoever to the bridal parties that had prepaid wedding receptions booked there over that weekend! Suffice it to say that I have never gone back to the latter since that weekend, and I won't dine there until I'm absolutely certain that it is again under new management!

Actually, the hotel industry is even worse. The way that a hotel manager finds out that he's terminated is usually that his keys suddenly don't open the door to his office when he shows up for work because the company changed the lock during the night.

By law, the company must pay two weeks of severance to each affected employee. Nonetheless, actually collecting that pay can sometimes be a challenge. Fortunately, in the case of Bennigan's, the employees' compensation is first in the queue in bankruptcy proceedings.

Norm.
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Yeah, you know you have a recession when oil is sky high and a Texas restaurants chain start closing locations! Oops, maybe just all the locations outside of Texas are closing?

"Hundreds of Bennigan's and Steak & Ale restaurants across the country closed suddenly today and the company that owns them filed for bankruptcy.

Phones went unanswered this morning at several Houston locations and others had been disconnected. At least one had a handwritten sign telling customers and employees it was closed.

Plano-based MetroMedia Restaurant Group confirmed that its subsidiary, S&A Restaurant Corp., has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation. All corporate locations of its well-known storefronts, including Bennigan's, Steak & Ale and Tavern, will be shuttered for good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Bennigan's is closing???
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas