Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C
Default What was your first ......

CRUISE ??

Mine was on the Big Red Boat .... 23 years ago! :o
That vacation was the beginning of my addiction. I was newly divorced and thought that a family vacation with the kids would be a good idea, my son was 5 yrs old, my daughter was 11 yrs old, I also had daughters 11 yr old best friend along, and my mom! (all in the same room!!! ) The package included 4 days at Disney World, and a 3 night Bahamas cruise. I thought sure the cruise would be the worst part, I thought we'd all be sea sick & bored. As it turned out it was the BEST part of the vacation. Some of my fondest memories of vacations when my children were young are from that cruise.

We still laugh about the excitement my son caused one night, however at the time I was panic stricken. The ship had a movie theater that showed Disney movies while the "Las Vegas style shows" were going on for the adults. My son had made friends with some other little darlings from the kids program, and he was "supposed to" stay in the movie theater with his new little buddies while Mom & I went to the show. After we were seated, (15 minutes to show time) I told Mom I was going to check on my baby one more time. He WAS NOT THERE! Oh MY Gosh!! This baby's momma went crazy. I ran to the teen's disco, scaring my daughter & her friend half to death, screaming like a maniac that we needed to get the captain to stop the ship and conduct a complete search for my baby. The 3 of us began a deck to deck search, with me grabbing every ships officer I saw, demanding that the Captain order a search. After about 45 minutes, one very calm and wise ships officer suggested that we check the movie theater again. .... There they were :evil: .... happily watching The Rescuers. It turns out that my son wanted to show his little buddy his souvenirs from Disney World, so he & the friend went to the pursers desk, got a duplicate key to the room, they went to our room where darling boy showed off his treasures , then they went back to watch the movie. Yes ... this was my 5 year old ... who apparently was much smarter than his momma & knew his way around the ship much better than I. (he is now a cardiac intensive care nurse)

By the time this was all settled, the show room doors were locked, and I was "forced" to spend the next hour & half with the very calm & sensible & oh so cute ships officer. ..... and I've been hooked ever since ..... so have the kids!
TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Admiral

great story..so did the ship's officer give you a tour of the bridge ?
Old July 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Passenger

That is a GREAT story!!!!!!!

My first cruise was also on The Big Red Boat, however the cabin I was in was not so big, . I had to sit on the toilet to take a shower, . It was about 20 years ago. I also had my first experience with gambling and won a couple of hundred dollars which seemed like a fortune to a 21 year old gal at the time. It was definetely one of the BEST vacations that I have ever had!!!!!!!

GREAT question!!!!!!!
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI TC,
Yep, we did the Big Red Boat first and had a few days a DW....Was hooked ever since. My favorite now is Royal Caribbean.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Sovereign of the Seas (RCCL) was my first.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Admiral

I think it was "Flavia" in the early 70's. She seemed really big at the time, but was probably "row boat" size by todays standards. That started the whole cruise thing for me.

Ken
"Sky"
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Admiral

My very first with on the Dolphin, Pacquet Cruise Lines. The funds simply weren't there, to even think about letting cruising become a habit, so I had to postpone my addiction for a while.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Carnival Mardi Gras to the Bahamas - 1988. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Mine also 3 nights on Big Red Boat in May of 1989. Premier Starship Majestic. The Abacos. Official ship of Disney with all the characters at the time.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Britannis, November 1985, Montego Bay embarkation/debarkation. I was single and was placed at a table of eight singles; seven Canucks and myself. Fantastic cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Admiral

In January 1995, my then-very- new- boyfriend, (now my husband) wanted to take me on a cruise. I was terrified that I would be sea sick and ruin his vacation, but he talked me into it (and I packed a lot of Gravol!).
He booked a 4 days cruise (just to see if I liked it) on Royal Caribbean's Nordic Empress. When I first saw it in port I thought it was so HUGE!

Well, needless to say, I was hooked the first day, it was SO wonderful!
I told him right then and there, if we EVER do this again, it has to be at least 7days!
6 years later, we booked out 2nd cruise, 7 days on HAL's Maasdam for our HONEYMOON!
We are now looking forward to our 12th cruise together in October!

(and on a recent cruise on Carnival's Miracle, we saw in port, the former Nordic Empress, now called "Empress of the Seas" and couldn't believe how SMALL she was in comparison to the Miracle!)

donna
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
First Mate

My first was on the ODESSA of Black Sea Shipping of Russia in 1981.
All staff were Russian,very strict people about regulations.We did the
boat drill the next day at noon,they waited for everyone to be there,even
sent someone to get you out of your cabin to be where you should be,
"as they say at that time". In spite of that it was a marvelous cruise from
New-Orleans to Western Caribbean.Food,service,entertainment very
good.

MTL
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Admiral

My first cruise was for my honeymoon. My in-laws paid for a 4 day cruise on the RCCL Viking Serenade. We had a porthole room (do they do these anymore?). I was amazed how big the ship was. I had my hair done in the salon. I still remeber the hairstylist was from england. We had a nice chat one stylist to another. She used super long bobby pins I think I still have them somewhere.

Anyway budget limited us so the next cruise wasn't until 2003 on the Star Princess, I love that ship it was big and new and I had my first balcony.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Carnival Elation in 2006 out of Port Canaveral to Nassau, Grand Turks and Half Moon Cay. Loved it.........

Need some cruise help?
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I had my first balcony.
Was it good for you?

Our first cruise was the Sitmar Fairwind in 1976. Long since gone to the breakers, she seemed huge to us at the time, but was probably about the size of one of the lifeboats on the steroid-infused hulks they're building now. But the classiness of the Sitmars of the past is seldom duplicated anywhere at sea today.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

My first will be on MONDAY!!! 5 days and counting down!!!! Yes, I am very excited. I can not remember a time that I have ever been this excited about something!!!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I had my first balcony.
Was it good for you?

Our first cruise was the Sitmar Fairwind in 1976. Long since gone to the breakers, she seemed huge to us at the time, but was probably about the size of one of the lifeboats on the steroid-infused hulks they're building now. But the classiness of the Sitmars of the past is seldom duplicated anywhere at sea today.
It was wonderful you always remeber your first balcony. It was on Ahola deck 12, at least that what the elevator always called it. By the end of the cruise I was walking around repeating Ahola deck 12. I still remember so I think the elevator brainwashed me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Default WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST?

MY WIFE AND I"S FIRST CRUISE WAS IN 2006 RCL"S "SPLENDOR OF THE SEAS". IT WAS A SEVEN DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE. WE STOPPED IN GRAND CAYMEN, COSTA MAYA, BELIZE AND COZUMEL. WE WERE HOOKED. WE HAVE NOW DONE AN EASTERN CARIBBEAN AND BERMUDA CRUISES. WE ARE NOW BOOKED FOR A 10 DAY SOUTHEN CARIBBEAN CRUISE ON HOLLAND AMERICA. THIS IS AN ADDICTION I HOPE WE NEVER HAVE TO KICK.
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

Sovereign Of The Seas was our first and we caught the bug immediately!We will certainly miss her.
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Our first was on Carnival's Jubilee to Alaska back in 1999. We have been hooked ever since. This time we have booked an extended balcony on the Legend for December 14th.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Admiral

My first was the Esctasy in 1999, out of Miami to Nassau.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The "Vistafjord" of Norwegiqn American Lines, in May of 1976, later sold to Cunard as the "Sagafjord", I think, and maybe the "Paul Gaugin".

Newly married, totally in love, upgraded to a suite. The tenders were old wooden launches (speedboats). Everyone dressed for every meal, nothing casual about it.

Yes, I thought it was the biggest thing afloat until I saw her in Genoa only 6 years later dwarfed by a Costa ship berthed next to her.

The "Vistafjord" started my addiction, although I didn't cruise again until 1993, long after my husband had died. He would love what I've done with this addiction!
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My first was the Celebrity Mercury. Seven days in the Caribbean. I made the mistake of booking a suite. This is not a good idea for your first cruise. Once you are addicted you want the big cabin after that.

belgique,
The Vistafjord was sold to Cunard and became the Caronia. It is now with Saga Tours and is the Saga Ruby.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2008, 06:13 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to LGriggs548

Our first was with Carnival on the Carnivale, in June 1977. We were totally hooked, best vacation we ever had. Being a military family our "vacations" usually consisted of visiting relatives inbetween duty stations. Nothing wrong with that but it sure doesn't compare to a cruise. To validate how long ago it was, the 7 day cruise cost $300 per person and that included air! The Eagles (singing group) were on the plane with us and what a way to start our first real vacation. Been cruising ever since. We use to have to repeat ships as Carnival only had two at that time. Big difference now! Doesn't matter how many I take every one is as exciting as the first.

Linda
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise was the Fairsea (Sitmar) 1973 before Princess took over, ok not great. It was not until Alaska in 2001 on Princess that we became hooked. Mike
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Captain

Our first was on the Carnival Celebration out of Jacksonville in 2005. We started late in our marriage because of an irrational fear I had about being on a boat, so for our 25th Anniversary I overcame my fear and off we went. We like most people were totally and immediately hooked I even forgot about my silly fear. In February we will celebrate our 30th with a cruise to Panama. I was station there when I proposed to my wife. Like Linda and her family, we also are a military family and our "vacations" also consisted of visiting relatives in between duty stations. It was just a fact of life. In 2010 we will return to Jacksonville for a group cruise. We are really stoked about it, my wife's sisters are coming and our boys. My oldest will be back from his 2nd tour to Iraq and my youngest will be taking a break from his Masters Program. We can't wait.

Have a great one.

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012