Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cruisemates Cook Book

The other night in chat, we started talking about food on the ships, and that led to just food, and then to recipes. We thought a good idea might be to post our fave recipes.

Some of you also have cook books from cruise ships, and you could share with us, some of the favorites we have talked about for years. Creme brule, cold soups, etc....

It will be nice to be able to print out our favorites, and have a Cruise Mates Recipe Folder, and know who they come from, so please, post your name, and the recipe name. If the recipe has a history, we would love to know that too.....I am so sick of eating the same things over and over, I am looking forward to some good supper dishes:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Admiral

Trip,

Here's are three easy ones from years ago that aren't from a cruise (but I guess could be), two with beer being a central ingredient.

MUSHROOM ONION POT ROAST

Ingredients:

3 or 4 pound boneless chuck roast
1 can Campbell's condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 Package Lipton's Dry Onion soup mix

Preparation

Tear off a a piece of aluminium foil long enough to completely encase and seal the meat.

Lay the aluminum foil centered down in a roasting pan covering the bottom with equal amounts of foil extending up the sides of the roaster.

Sprinkle the dry onion soup mix evenly on the bottom part of the foil

Place the meat on top of the dry onion soup mix.

Spread the Cream of Mushroom soup mix (right out of the can undiluted) on top of the roast.

Bring the sides of foil over the roast and completely seal.

Roast in the oven at 325 until well done.

When roasted. remove roast from oven and open foil allowing steam to vent. When cool enough, scrape off any mushroom soup remaining on the roast and place on platter. Carefully stir the meat juices that have combined with the onion and mushroom soup mixes. If desired, pour sauce off into a small saucepan, add a little liquid (I prefer beer) and heat to boiling stirring constantly to make a thinner sauce (you don't want a thin gravy).

Spoon sauce over the meat, carve and serve.

WORLD'S BEST AND EASIEST ONION RINGS

Whisk together a 12 ounce can of beer and a cup and a half of flour until smooth.

Allow batter to sit at room temperature for four hours.

Dip onion rings in batter and deep fry until golden brown.

If you serve these, be prepared to spend half the night at the deep fryer 'cause your guests are going to be clamoring for more and more.

STANDING RIB BEER ROAST

Ingredients:

5 or 6 pound standing rib roast
Four 12 ounce bottles of beer
two beef bullion cubes

Preparation

Pour beer into roaster, add roast and drop a bullion cube at each end
Marinate for several hours. During marinade time, drink other two bottles of beer.
Roast beef uncovered until medium rare.

Optional: About a half hour before meat is done, drop a bunch of fresh mushrooms around the roast.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Well now my mom was born in Hawaii and my dad was born in Portugal. So I will get you a little of both.

Carne Vinho D'Alhos (Meat of wine and garlic)

3lbs pork shoulder 1/2 inch cubes
1 bottle dry white wine
3 cup wine vinegar
2 cups white wine
4 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
20-25 garlic cloves, crushed

Layer pork in a large ceramic bowl or Tupperware container; add the wine, vinegar, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and marinate for at least 4-5 days, stirring daily. When ready to cook the pork, transfer to large pan in single layer (DO NOT ADD THE MARINATE) cook on 400 for 45 mintues. This makes great sandwiches.

Kalua Pork in a Slow Cooker

INGREDIENTS:
Serves 6-8
4-5 lb. pork butt, preferably bone-in
1 T. Hawaiian salt
1/2 T. liquid smoke
1 bag of spinach
1 c. water

The ideal pork butt for this recipe is well-marbled and bone-in for maximum flavor and moisture. Pierce meat, rub with salt, dribble with liquid smoke then wrap it in several layers of spinach leaves. Besides helping to steam the meat, spinach leaves provide a subtle flavor that shouldn't be skipped.

Place the wrapped butt in a crock pot and pour the cup of water around it. The water is there primarily to prevent scorching until the meat cooks down enough to render its own juices. Cook on low for at least 7-8 hours but up to all day.

When cooking is complete, remove the butt, reserve juices. Let the meat rest for a few minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Pour reserved liquid over the shredded meat and serve.

This is a great recipe of make while you are a work. After you come home dinner is cooked and your house smells great.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

World's Greatest French Onion Soup: (My own recipe) MMMMMMMMMMM!

For the Soup:

1.Brown about 12 medium sized sliced onions, rings slightly broken, in about 2tbs. of olive oil and 2tbs of butter. (I blend several kinds of onions as availible.)

2. Dust onions with 3 to 4 tbs. of all purpose flour, after they are browned. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.

3. Add about 3qts. of stock, half chicken, half beef. You may also add about 1/2 cup of dry cooking sherry if you so choose.

4. Add 4 to 6 cloves of minced garlic, 1 to 2 tbs. of Herbes de Provence, one bay leaf, and 1 to 2 tbs. duck fat. You can use duck demi-glace if you can't find duck fat.

5. Simmer soup for 45 min to one hour.

6. Salt and pepper as needed. You won't need much salt if you use prepared stock. Home-made stock usually has less salt.

For the cruettes:

1. Slice crusty french bread and put on baking sheet.

2. Bake at 300 degrees f. until golden brown, turning every 5-10 min. Baste with olive oil on both sides after about one half hour. Continue the slow bake process untill golden brown. (Total baking time is 50 min. to one hour) These can be made ahead, cooled and kept in zip lock bags.
They freeze well too.)

3. Rub each cruette with cloves of peeled fresh garlic as they come out of the oven.

4. Set cruettes Aside to cool.

Assembly:

2/3 Fill, generous oven safe soup bowls ,with very hot onion soup with lots of the onion slices in the broth. Put one or two cruettes on top of each soup. Generously sprinkle a mixture of gueyere, fontina, Jalrsberg and reggiano parmaesan cheeses on top. (Cheese should be about 1/2 inches thick.) Broil bowls on a cookie sheet until cheese is bubbling and beginning to become golden brown.

Serve to ooooooos and aaaahhhhhs! (I promise!)
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 cup caramel topping
12 pecan halves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reserve 3/4 cup of the apple filling; set aside. Spoon the remaining filling into the crust. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Pour this over the pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set. Cool to room temperature.
Mix the reserved pie filling and caramel topping in a small saucepan and heat for about 1 minute, or until spreadable. Spoon the apple-caramel mixture over the top of the cheesecake and spread evenly. Decorate the edge of the cake with pecan halves and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

~~~Trip~~~

This soup is one we had at the Olive Garden, I said.."I can make this, and I did:)

2 cans large chicken broth
1 lg can, 1 sm can, small white beans..Goya I think...
1 roll of sweet sausage meat, sauted
1 pkg of spinach
scallions/celery/carrots
1 large potato, chop into small pieces
bacon is optional [fry, and chop small if you use bacon]
2 tubes of white bean soup mix
garlic salt /Italian seasoning/ salt and pepper to taste
1/2 and 1/2.. I use almost the whole pint
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fill a dutch oven with, the broth, and add water to make desired amount of soup
add: carrots /celery, chopped small, soup mixes, beans, spices, and sausage
I saute the spinach in a little water and garlic salt and reduce/ add to soup
Turn on med flame and cook until soup mix is softened through, at the last cooking stage, add the potato, cut in small pieces..don't overcook them, then, add the half and half...voila, its soup....This recipe gets raves..it also makes a large portion, I gave a large bowl to my son. and had lots to spare... you MAY need to add a little liquid upon reheating...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

After all that hard work in the kitchen.......

Here's my recipe for relaxation:

1) Light a nice fire in the fireplace

2) Light a fresh candle -- butternut vanilla sounds about right

3) Turn the lights down

4) Play some relaxing classical guitar on the speakers

5) Light that Cuban cigar you've been saving

6) Pour some 18-year old Glenmorangie into an old-fashioned glass

7) Sit in your favorite easy chair

8) And relax.........!

Old August 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruisemates Cook Book

Linda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The other night in chat, we started talking about food on the ships, and that led to just food, and then to recipes. We thought a good idea might be to post our fave recipes.

Some of you also have cook books from cruise ships, and you could share with us, some of the favorites we have talked about for years. Creme brule, cold soups, etc....

It will be nice to be able to print out our favorites, and have a Cruise Mates Recipe Folder, and know who they come from, so please, post your name, and the recipe name. If the recipe has a history, we would love to know that too.....I am so sick of eating the same things over and over, I am looking forward to some good supper dishes
A while ago, Laura ("Cruznut2") started a thread of favorite recipes that you might want to include.

Norm.