Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Default Robin Gibb--Yikes!!

I was channel surfing tonight and landed on a concert on HDNet featuring Robin Gibb, a bevy of backup singers and a full orchestra. I was shocked. It was absolutely horrible, hideous even.

I know that rollerdonna loves this guy and his sibs, which is mainly why I watched for awhile, since I'd lost track of all of them after disco met its merciful end.

Between the inane songs, lame lyrics, under-rehearsed orchestra, crazy mixes that made the whole thing sound like the old Ray Conniff singers, and digital processing that was vainly trying to bury the mistakes in reverb and keep everything on pitch, the net result was an absolute train wreck. Plus, everything sounded ploddingly the same. Nevertheless, the audience was made up of enthralled middle-aged women (to be charitable), who seemed to be continually on the verge of an, ahem, well, you know.

I don't know when or where it was recorded, but once they started caterwauling a two-note ditty called "Love Hurts," I yelled at the screen, "They have ointment for that now!" and went back to the Olympics.

Naturally, if it sells, who am I to criticize? I'm just surprised at how bad this was.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Admiral

AR...as the old saying goes "you like what you like"
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Admiral

I think possibly a couple of more folks in addition to Rollerdonna must like him. He's a multi-zillionaire who evidently had his own TV special.

Todd
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

I just had to respond to this one!
I didn't see this special - no fancy channels here, but if it was that bad, I'm glad I didn't.
Robin is NOT my favourite, Barry always has been, still is and always will be, but it's Barry, Robin and the late Maurice together who made the magical music of the Bee Gees. I live in hope that Barry and Robin will one day record together again, but I know in my heart, it will never be the same without Maurice.

donna
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Apparently, God was not a Bee Gees fan
The solution was a bit drastic (He could have just loosened their underwear a bit) but who am I to criticise Higher Powers?
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Admiral

But AR did you even get the Bee Gees first time round, did Saturday Night Fever do it for you, I'm guessing not.

What’s your thoughts on Grease, not the country 8) but the film and stage play.

I'm guessing this all passed you by with "crazy mixes that made the whole thing sound like the old Ray Conniff singers"

Eh they where big in 1959, come on.... have you heard of Led Zepplin a beat combo from England, they will be big thats my bet and better than the Gibb brothers
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
But AR did you even get the Bee Gees first time round, did Saturday Night Fever do it for you, I'm guessing not.

What’s your thoughts on Grease, not the country 8) but the film and stage play.

I'm guessing this all passed you by with "crazy mixes that made the whole thing sound like the old Ray Conniff singers"

Eh they where big in 1959, come on.... have you heard of Led Zepplin a beat combo from England, they will be big thats my bet and better than the Gibb brothers
Saturday Night Fever, for me, was mediocre, even though I still have the vinyl soundtrack album. I saw both the original Grease in New York (sorry, I didn't quite make it to the West End) and the movie. I enjoyed parts of it, was a bit put off by the overall theme of manipulation. Enjoyed a lot of the music. Plus, I've been to Greece, I spell pretty well, and I even know what a homophone is.

My musical background goes back a long way, so your assumptions are far from spot on. I was a rock DJ through the 60's (I still have the airchecks to prove it), but was well aware of the entire musical scene from the 50's on, from folk to country to rock to R&B to easy listening to jazz. Plus, I've always appreciated the Great American Songbook, which was largely written in the 30's and 40's, enhanced by the show music of the 50's and 60's. For me to draw a comparison to Ray Conniff is no big deal; back then people's musical awareness--if not their tastes--tended to be much broader than today.

I liked Led Zeppelin's earlier stuff, especially the rockabilly material. I was very familiar with the forerunner band The Yardbirds, because I played them a lot on the radio. As Led gravitated more and more to heavier metal, I began to lose my taste for them, but they certainly maintain their status as rock mainstays.

Radio Days. From the hairdo of the "request lady," can there be any doubt it was the 60's?
Old August 19th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Admiral

AR......you know you opened the door by posting that picture ..what city did you DJ out of ?..what demographics did your audience consist of ?...were you ever brided with any payola to play certain records ? what do you think of the current trend of "scratching" that the DJ's and Rappers do ?

In my travels in Cleveland, Detroit and Memphis, I always make a point to visit the Rock and Roll HOF, Berry Gordy's home and Motown HDQ and Sun Records studio and it always fascinated me about the DJ's equiptment

During your era, who was your favorite big time DJ ?and of course, what was 'your handle'

you need to book on BLOG2NOLA and you could be the guest DJ in the disco
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Admiral

1. Illinois and New Jersey.
2. Teenage girls, mostly.
3. No. Those days were over.
4. I hate it. Every old jock knows that's how we cued up records before playing them. Except of course we didn't do it on the air. We had a separate cue speaker for that and did it with the table potted down. If you cued up a record on the air it was a big goof. So hearing that sound now always sounds like a mistake to me.
5. I love the Rock HOF, and the old studios are very evocative. Somehow, the new studio setups seem so sterile. On the other hand, I'm so impressed with the new digital recording techniques. Had the privilege of sitting in on some recording sessions in Nashville not long ago, and got an up-close-and-personal indoctrination into ProTools, which is just amazing software.
6. I used my own name. Some of my favortes in New York were Dan Ingram and Bruce Morrow (Cousin Brucie) on WABC. There was also a very classy MOR station in New York, WNEW, that featured absolutely wonderful, classy jocks: Gene Klavan and Dee Finch, William B. Williams in the "Make Believe Ballroom," the one and only Ted Brown in afternoon drive, and Billy Taylor (yes, that Billy Taylor) at night. Piano in the studio. At WCFL in Chicago I admired the late Jim Runyon (who was also something of a mentor). In the radio "personality" catgegory I guess my all time favorite had to be Jean Shepherd at WOR.
7. I have gracefully surrendered the things of youth, but I still remember them fondly.