Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You are just so right Paul,
So many people think the ship will beel crowded, I find these ships to be just the opposite. I just hate standing in line for almost everything on other ships, from getting into the dinning room to getting off the ship and the worst yet, waiting in line at the buffet, not a problem on these mega ships. Haven't yet, been on Oasis, but it was like this on Freedom. I never had a problem getting a lounge chair at the pool either. The trafrfic flow is also very well planned out and it works.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Beginner

we are sailing on oasis in feb. we are bringing our motorcycle on board, they have 35 slots. we'll have a guided tour around the islands. so looking forward to it!!!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Wow, had no idea you could bring cycles onboard. What do they charge for that?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Ummm - I think that was a joke.
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Joke or not, it actually wouldn't suprise me at all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre View Post
and that is just the point, thank you. why not book a weekend in a high rise hotel in your favorite city, maybe with a skyline view, and stay there for a week? the boulevards, the shopping, the entertainment, and all would be even better and you wouldn't have to put up with those messy tenders and other facts of life at sea -- if you could even see the sea on that monstrosity.
I agree 100%. I also agree with those who compare these mega ships with the Mall of America. I don't even want to think about embarkation or waiting around to tender to ports with 4,000+ passengers!!!! Great to have choices but give me a ship with a passenger capacity of around 2,000, anytime.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

So a friend of mine just returned from her Oasis cruise. I was extemely interested in hear from a human with lips of a review trip. She is an expert cruiser who has been doing so for years.

We, first off, she said it was JUST TOO BIG. She said to get from one point to another, even though there were "neighborhoods", was too much to cover. She said it reminded her on the lands of Disney World, and felt it seemed like it was that much ground to cover.

Next, see sadi it was disappointing to find everything that was required to sign up for, was pretty much blocked except for the off hours.

Last, she said that she was amazed at the amount of "things for a charge" there were. She said it was so much simpler in years past where your paid your passage, and that was it.

She said she was glad she did it, but would never return. She said it just wasn't for the traditional cruiser.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yessir, Mr. Pete...

It is never going to appeal to everyone, but I still say most people who think they would not like it would be surprised by it.

However - there's no hurry to prove my thesis - everyone with doubts can wait until the price comes down.

My opinion is that it is an amazing ship, and it never felt crowded to me - nor does it feel any more like an amusement park than any other cruise ship I have ever been on. The "mall" analogy I can agree with for the Royal Promenade - yes, it feels like a mall, but for adults with cool nightclubs and free pizza, coffee and desserts.

Not for everyone but still darn impressive.

I wouldn't want to live in the new world's tallest building in Dubai, but I would like to see it and stay in it.

By the way, it did not cost much more than Oasis of the Seas, about $1.6 billion
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Yessir, Mr. Pete...

I wouldn't want to live in the new world's tallest building in Dubai, but I would like to see it and stay in it.
That's me! I'd like to tour it to see if I'd like it. If the price is reasonable, I might consider sailing.

I'm definately curious.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Paul, it will be very interesting to see how successful RCI is with Oasis. As a stock holder I hope they are very successful. Having never be on anything but Radiance class ships I see no need for anything that large, but time will tell if the investment pays off. One concern I have is the large fixed cost that goes along with this floating city, and RCL's ability to keep it full in this economy. I think there plan is to have the ship be the primary destination and play down the island visits. Mike
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I think you will be surprised how successfukl it eventually becomes. They actually open up a whole new market for cruising - not necessarily the people you see posting in cruise sites like this - but more for people who have never cruised or only cruised once or and want to do it again and make itr a really memorable experience.

These are really unusual ships - and a client sitting in a travel agent's office who doesn't know anything about cruises will be wowed when the agent trots out the Oasis brochure.

A lot of our readers are long-time cruisers who prefer the small ship experience and have already seen the ports Oasis goes to. Nothing at all wrong with that.

But I think the attraction of Oasis is a different profile - not "cruisers" only but also a large demographic worldwide of people who want a very unusual travel/vacation experience who think "experience" first and "cruise" second.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
First Mate

I did intend my porterhouse comment as a joke, but since the term "real cruiser" has not been defined, we all have a different concept of it. I will eventually take a short cruise on Oasis, as I plan to do this year on Freedom, but I will go in expecting more of a Disney experience than a cruise as I perceive it. I came to cruising late in life, and I am more interested in the ships that will soon be no more than I am in the latest buzz that will most likely be available in the future for a lesser fare.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Default To me...

...the exterior views of the ship.....are not pleasing to 'the eye'. She is not a graceful looking ship. I'm sure she is fantastic on the inside but so many passengers is a put off. I haven't heard any comments about disembarking from her in ports visited....or returning home.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Admiral

I am very happy that our cruise on the Oasis is a just a little over two months away.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am pretty sure I have commented that our embarkation/disembarkation experience was as good or better than most cruise ships. I am sure that if you do a google for recent first hand reports on this topic you will see the RCL has done an excellent job of managing lines both onboard the ship and getting on and off the ship.

Manuel - please come back and report on your cruise with us!
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I am pretty sure I have commented that our embarkation/disembarkation experience was as good or better than most cruise ships. I am sure that if you do a google for recent first hand reports on this topic you will see the RCL has done an excellent job of managing lines both onboard the ship and getting on and off the ship.

Manuel - please come back and report on your cruise with us!
The Oasis sure had the roads congested at the port when we boarded the Zuiderdam on January 2nd. I am not sure I want to board another ship that leaves from Ft. Lauderdale on a Saturday.

I do feel that these ships that hold 6000 PAX, perhaps, should leave on a weekday, since the port is not as busy those days.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I agree 100%. I also agree with those who compare these mega ships with the Mall of America. I don't even want to think about embarkation or waiting around to tender to ports with 4,000+ passengers!!!! Great to have choices but give me a ship with a passenger capacity of around 2,000, anytime.

Debra
Nurse Debra...

First... I have been on Oasis twice and both times it was one of the fastest embarkations ever. I was on within 15 minutes both times. It once took us an hour to get on Mariner of the Seas in Port Canaveral.

Secondly - it never tenders - all of its ports have docks. But you might even expect backups at the elevators, etc. Just didnt happen, they can reserve the elevators for people coming onboard and use two gangways.

The shows were never crowded - the reservation system works great. They just did an excellent job in planning this ship and probably just got lucky in a few areas as well - but it is amazing, truly.

Just by word of mouth I don't think they will ever have a problem selling these two ships.

I think Oasis is a great ship and if you look at the reviews of it you will see most people who take come back truly surprised at how much they like it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Yessir, Mr. Pete...
You expressed my view pretty well with that. We have booked a 4-day, one port cruise on Freedom of the Seas, and will eventually do something similar on Oasis. Getting on and off is the real pain to us with large ships, so we don't care to do ports when sailing the RHS [Really Huge Sucker] class. After all, the ship is the attraction. We can visit ports much more conveniently on smaller vessels.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I am very happy that our cruise on the Oasis is a just a little over two months away.

TM
Less than a month now.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynee View Post
we are sailing on oasis in feb. we are bringing our motorcycle on board, they have 35 slots. we'll have a guided tour around the islands. so looking forward to it!!!
Nope, it wasn't a joke. They have occasional "Harley Owners Group" cruises, and on those cruises there are indeed provisions made to take along your motorcycle. I don't know what the extra costs are, as I personally have never done it, but it does indeed exist, and sounds like a lot of fun.

"SKY"

P.S. I too, have not sailed "Oasis" and don't plan on doing so anytime in the near future. I love the smaller RCI ships, but just one cruise aboard "Mariner" was enough for me to decide that the BIG RCI ships are not for me.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Admiral

We recently sailed on the Oasis, and we had a wonderful cruise.

Embarkation was smooth and we were aboard quicker than we have been on most other ships. We never felt crowded because there are so many activities all over the ship and people are not all in one location.
The service on the Oasis was excelent. The entertainment was great.

All I can say is that they have done a very good job of organizing this beautifyl ship.

It's my favorite ship and we will do it again or the Allure as soon as we can.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Amazing!!!

No horrendous crowds, incredibly long waits for elevators or gangway access? What about lines in the restaurants or cold food from the waiters having to walk 1/2-mile to your table?

What about the sea? Did you even remember you were on a cruise ship?

Did you engage in any fistfights over deck chairs?
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Admiral

I remember last December, standing at night in the Central Park neighborhood with Paul and his wife, and we could see the night sky and feel the ship move, and hear the engine exhaust go through the stacks. Paul said "who says you don't feel like you are at sea?" It was a rhetorical question because we all knew the answer. We had no doubt we were on a ship at sea.

The Oasis is an amazing ship. It is quite stunning to see how effective RCI has been at moving people and minimizing waits. I can easily say that I've felt significantly more crowded on ships a third or a quarter the size of the Oasis.

I just booked a cruise on the Allure for June 2011. Crown Loft Suite. I can't wait.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Oh DAve,
Those cabins look just so cool!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Two decks of cabin, two bathrooms, two closets....who could ask for anything more?
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I had friends take a Harley cruise on RCI a few years back..they loved it, and, it was interesting to hear about the process of the bikes coming off the ship,and then going back on..if I remember right the Captain or a high up crew member had his bike onboard as well..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

We were on the same cruise as Manual and we had an incredible cruise. I've been looking through my pictures and thinking of all the pictures I wish I had taken.

We saw the motorcycles lined up, when we embarked. Cool!

We saw 1 passenger who was not happy with the Oasis. He felt it was too crowded. No one else said anything about the crowds. As others have said, there was so much going on, all the time, and it was spread out all over the ship.

My complaints are:

I didn't get to visit each bar -- there were just too many!
I had to decide what I wanted to do. There were so many options and I wanted to be in 2 or 3 places at the same time!
Oh, and I was least impressed with the food in the Windjammer.

That's it!

Here is a link to my web pics, if you want to view. There are 3 albums: Oasis2 are pics taken on the open decks, Family pics are just that, and Promenade are pics taken of interior places.

Picasa Web Albums - Darlene
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Amazing!!!

No horrendous crowds, incredibly long waits for elevators or gangway access? What about lines in the restaurants or cold food from the waiters having to walk 1/2-mile to your table?

What about the sea? Did you even remember you were on a cruise ship?

Did you engage in any fistfights over deck chairs?
Paul that was cute.

No we did not find horrendous crowds!
Everything was so well organized, and it was easier to get to see all the shows than it is on smaller ships.
Because there are so many entertainment venues people are not all assembled in the same ares asthey often are in smaller ships.
As for deck chairs they were much easier to find than they were on the much smaller Carnival Liberty.

Our friends Linda and Paul from SC. who have been on many different cruiselines and they were amazed at the srevice and entertainment on the Oasis.
All I can add was that this was a absolutely wonderful cruise. It may not be for everyone, but it is the best ship that I have been on.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Admiral

I liked the Oasis so much, that I went and booked her sister ship The Allure for my next cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM
First Mate

Exclamation

I just booked on the Oasis. I have been reading all the threads. I'm new to cruising. This is my third cruise and will be my first without kids. Our first cruise was in 04 on Carnival and we loved it. People the ship kept telling us that Carnival was the economy class of cruising and most of the other cruise lines were much lines were much nicer. We'd ask how many Carnival cruises they had been on and most had been on many cruises. Like 7 or 8! So how bad could it be? We loved it! It was years before we could go again in 2010 on the Crown Princess. And while there were things that were nicer there were things we liked much more on the Carnival.

I was very surprised to see so many people dissing on the Oasis without ever having been on it. Crowds? I can't imagine a ship being more crowded than when we were on the Crown Princess. We had to wait for everything! And deck chairs!? Forget about. A couple times we came back and our chairs had been taken. Our stuff was on the ground and chairs gone! It was Easter and we learned our lesson.

We have several friends who have cruised on the Oasis and during peak times and they told us that never felt crowded like have on other ships. As I said I'm new to cruising but I plan on doing a lot of it and I want to experience all different kinds. I can't imagine excluding one of the grandest ship ever built. We watched in 2010 and I knew then I was going to sail on her one day. Now I am. Sorry for any typos and bad spelling mistakes, I'm using my phone...

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N