CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What do you think of the Oasis of the Seas? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/355380-what-do-you-think-oasis-seas.html)

Anna64 August 27th, 2008 05:54 PM

What do you think of the Oasis of the Seas?
 
I have been looking at the images of the new Oasis of the Seas ship. What does everyone else think of it? It looks like you are on city streets. Do you think that would take away from the ocean cruise feel?

jmel21 August 30th, 2008 02:01 PM

RCI has a lot of repeat guests who by now have done it all. In order to keep them interested they must provide new and exciting things. The Oasis offers many unique concepts but when it all boils down it is still a ship. You have ocean all around you. That's a hard feel to shrug off.

rinker250 August 30th, 2008 02:53 PM

Those loft suites look just awesome.

I mentioned to my wife that they were probably waaaaaaaaaaaay expensive.

She said any cruise longer than 10 days and we'd have to have the room.

venice August 30th, 2008 05:22 PM

any real cruiser has to try it...it's always easy to say what you won't do, but you have to be on it at least once

joohea September 6th, 2008 11:46 AM

Oasis Of The Seas
 
The ship looks absolutely Beautiful! The only downfall is the itenerary. My wife and I are hoping that eventually they will have some different stops. The size of the ship could be a problem until some newer ports are available.

mehawk September 6th, 2008 12:45 PM

That is why I don't do RCI. I want to feel like I am on a ship, not on a boulevard in a town. :D

seadog2 September 6th, 2008 03:02 PM

It's very exciting. Having sailed on the Sovereign, Radiance, Voyager and Freedom class of ships it seems only natural to sail on the Oasis class. I can't wait.

Manuel September 27th, 2008 10:40 PM

I booked a cruise on the Oasis and am looking forward to it.

TM

thecruisequeen October 2nd, 2008 04:07 PM

I love it I can't wait!!!! :D

Manuel October 10th, 2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
I love it I can't wait!!!! :D

I feel the same way.

TM

hombre October 14th, 2008 07:49 AM

i started a thread on 'all things cruising' with the heading 'but it isn't a cruise ship (or something similar). i guess that sums up my humble opinion. as for 'the try everything once' line of reasoning, there are LOTS of things in life i would never try once -- like bungee jumping off a bridge. my life may be poorer in some minds, but not in mine. but if you sail away on the floating mall of america, enjoy by all means. aren't choices great?

skymaster October 15th, 2008 08:08 AM

I agree with hombre. I'd much rather sail on a ship, than the Mall of America. Too many people, and way way too big for me. Give me a smaller SHIP any day.

Ken
"SKY"

bgsimp October 15th, 2008 12:38 PM

We are booked on The Oasis Maiden Voyage. I can't wait. I understand when people say the ships are alot different than the elegant smaller ships. I like them as well. LOL Gee, I guess I love them all. I am excited about seeing this ship. It's amazing what they are doing now. It's just so innovative.

janiellegray October 15th, 2008 01:01 PM

It's a little too big for my taste. I don't like feeling too crowded on a ship and the Freedom Class was big enough for me! Yes, she's beautiful and amazing and for the cruiser who's done it all or just looking for something more, it may be great, but not for me. Now if I had the money to do one of those loft suites, I might reconsider just staying in my cabin the whole cruise!

hombre November 1st, 2008 09:28 PM

and that is just the point, thank you. why not book a weekend in a high rise hotel in your favorite city, maybe with a skyline view, and stay there for a week? the boulevards, the shopping, the entertainment, and all would be even better and you wouldn't have to put up with those messy tenders and other facts of life at sea -- if you could even see the sea on that monstrosity.

Manuel December 14th, 2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hombre
and that is just the point, thank you. why not book a weekend in a high rise hotel in your favorite city, maybe with a skyline view, and stay there for a week? the boulevards, the shopping, the entertainment, and all would be even better and you wouldn't have to put up with those messy tenders and other facts of life at sea -- if you could even see the sea on that monstrosity.

I'm sure you can see the sea, and although it's not for everyone, don't knock it if you don't want to try it.

In the future there will probably be even bigger ships out there.

TM

hombre December 17th, 2008 08:10 AM

with all due respect, manuel, this thread began with a question about what one thinks of the oasis. i expressed my humble opinion, knock it or otherwise.

Manuel December 19th, 2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hombre
with all due respect, manuel, this thread began with a question about what one thinks of the oasis. i expressed my humble opinion, knock it or otherwise.

That's fine, you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine.

TM

monkeythyme August 30th, 2009 10:55 PM

Looks like an interesting city. Can I bring my motorcycle?

Manuel September 7th, 2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Looks like an interesting city. Can I bring my motorcycle?

Yes you can, but you have to let me borrow it .

TM

gottacruz September 8th, 2009 10:58 PM

Hi guys,
Well, for one thing its waaaay to big for me, the Mariner was big enough, could and would get lost on it, so I don't think I would want to sail on it. Seems to me, if you went on the Oasis with a friend and had arguements, it would be easy to ditch that person, at least for several hours or days.

momofmeg December 23rd, 2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna64 (Post 1138220)
I have been looking at the images of the new Oasis of the Seas ship. What does everyone else think of it? It looks like you are on city streets. Do you think that would take away from the ocean cruise feel?

Too big for me-but then I am old gal. I think this is more for the 30 somethings.

momofmeg December 23rd, 2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsimp (Post 1155277)
We are booked on The Oasis Maiden Voyage. I can't wait. I understand when people say the ships are alot different than the elegant smaller ships. I like them as well. LOL Gee, I guess I love them all. I am excited about seeing this ship. It's amazing what they are doing now. It's just so innovative.

How was it?

momofmeg December 23rd, 2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1139363)
any real cruiser has to try it...it's always easy to say what you won't do, but you have to be on it at least once

I disagree. I am of the opinion that a 'real cruise" is a ship of about 600 PAX MAX. I have only done that once, but I loved it! That was a real cruise!

HoustonTodd December 28th, 2009 10:01 AM

You could not pay me to get on that monstrosity. It's way too big, there's way too many people, it's so big it can't even get into many ports, some of them my favorites. I would pay for a cruise on another, smaller ship, before I would take a free cruise on that beheamoth. I have zero interest in it at ALL.

Aerogirl December 28th, 2009 12:30 PM

Heck , I was lost on the fantasy class ship!:???: I would be MIA the whole cruise!
After looking at CQ pictures it changed my mind, I would try it for sure.

monkeythyme December 29th, 2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1139363)
any real cruiser has to try it...it's always easy to say what you won't do, but you have to be on it at least once

Isn't that a lot like saying any real gourmet has to have eaten a 24-ounce porterhouse?;)

Paul Motter December 30th, 2009 12:52 PM

If you love cruise ship technology and the ability of people to build these floating cities, which really is amazing, then you have to appreciate the ship.

I have sailed on it and I will tell you it is a fuuun ship. There is a LOT to do and no we never felt crowded. I have felt more crowded on smaller ships. Size isn't what counts, it is passenger/space ratio, and Oasis is actually more spacious per passenger than the average Carnival, NCL or Princess ship.

Plus - having all that space and cost efficiency per passenger from the size makes it possible to add that many more attractions. It is an amazing ship that any real cruiser will want to see at least once.

And while I think your porterhouse steak comment is funny, it is different in this case because Oasis is not just a blown up version of a smaller cruise ship - it is a completely innovative design with tons of public space and also nice, spacious cabins with nice 36-inch flat panel TVs.

Oasis is a winner, surprisingly nicer than most people probably ever suspected. See my pictures up above under the "Community" tab.

HoustonTodd December 31st, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1265149)
Plus - having all that space and cost efficiency per passenger from the size makes it possible to add that many more attractions.

"Cost efficiency per passenger" ... what do you mean by that? Because at this minute the Oasis is stupidly, vastly overpriced in comparison to other cruises.

Quote:

It is an amazing ship that any real cruiser will want to see at least once.
Any real cruiser?? How demeaning is that? And frankly any REAL cruiser likes being in a ship on the ocean, not a floating city. Any REAL cruiser likes having access to all sorts of neat and exotic ports, not being limited because of the giagantic, stupid, ridiculously sized design of the ship. Any REAL cruiser doesn't like being dumped on an island with so many people that they can't experience some real island culture somewhere. It's bad enough with the number of ships and cruisers allready, it doesn't help adding 3-4,000 more per ship.

I'm glad that for those who are interested in the Monstrosity, errr Oasis of the Seas is an option. However, please understand that many "real" cruisers are looking for something of a different experience. If I wanted to be at an all inclussive I would fly to an all inclussive. When I want to cruise, I want to CRUISE.

Paul Motter January 1st, 2010 12:32 PM

Todd...

Cost efficiency refers what it costs the cruise line to run the ship per passenger mile. It does not refer to the cruise fares for the ship.

I think your view of cruising is a valid one, but I don't agree it is the only one. I also know, having been on Oasis, that it is not as you seem to think; nothing but an exploded version of a smaller ship. It is a completely new design in ships with great traffic flow and plenty of space per passenger. You will feel more crowded on many other ships fron Carnival, NCL, Princess or even older RCL ships than you will on Oasis.

The best analogy I can think of is this: Would you tell an amusement park enthusiast to avoid Disney World because it is too big? No. The size is what makes it an attraction, it is what makes it possible to provide a diversity and bigger and better experiences, because of the ability to provide more because more people are paying to see it.

I am a fan of big things, because I am a technology nerd. Some people want life to be simple - so they live in cabins in the woods. As a kid my favorite cartoon was the Jetsons. I don't think things are bad just because they are new and big - I like that.

There are still plenty of cruise ships out there doing the kind of cruising you like. Oasis may not be your thing (although I would bet you would be surprised how much you liked it if you tried it) but it IS a cruise ship, with plenty of sea views, that will visit islands that do not feel overly crowded. It is scheduled to go to Jamaican (Falmouth) which no other cruise visits visits as soon as the dock is ready. It also stops in Labadee on each cruise, and will be there alone when it does.

If RCL had not built Oasis, they could have built two Freedom-class vessels for the same amount of money, and your ports of call would have been even more crowded.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1