Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Default Brooklyn/New Jersey

I will be working in Brooklyn for a week or so beginning 10/8/08.

Hotel is in East Rutherford, NJ

I'd like some advice as to which airport I should fly into as far as distance and cost.
Example: I can fly into NOLA and drive to Mobile, AL for less than 1/2 the cost of flying into Mobile.

Same with Orlando and Jacksonville, FL.

I'm buying 5 plane tickets so any savings can add up fast.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Well, if you're going to do that kind of commute every day, obviously you're going to rent a car. That being the case, it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference whether you fly to Newark, LaGuardia or Kennedy, since the ride from and to any of those airports is no big deal in comparison to your daily commute. Obviously, LaGuardia is closest to most parts of Brooklyn via the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway; Kennedy is fairly convenient to the southern sections of Brooklyn (you have to realize that if Brooklyn weren't a borough of New York City, it would be one of the largest cities in the country in its own right); and Newark is good for New Jersey because you don't have to cross any rivers.

I'd go for the cheapest fare you can get to any of those airports.
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Well, I lucked onto a first class ticket for 750.00.
I have to book tickets at the refundable rate because I never know my schedule and first class is really not that much more.
Can you expand on the commute from East Rutherford to Brooklyn?
I get to designate the start times (ya know...5,6,7 am)
What am I gonna be dealing with?

Thanks again
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Admiral

The basic route from Rutherford is to go through the swamps to the Holland Tunnel under the Hudson River, then across lower Manhattan on Canal Street, then across the East River on the Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn. The bridge dumps you off more or less in central Brooklyn, not far from Park Slope and Borough Hall. I'd make the commute as early as possible, and plan on at least an hour each way. Don't forget to bring plenty of toll money. Last time I took the Holland I think it was six bucks, but you only have to pay in one direction. It may have gone up; it's been a year or so. The bridges to Brooklyn from Manhattan are free.
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Admiral

AR,

You were mentioning crossing from New Jersey through Manhattan to Brooklyn and thought you might be interested in the following.

I used to tell folks that I'd go from certain parts of the Hudson Valley to and from anywhere in Manhattan without paying a toll. Even life long New Yorkers who lived outside the metro area (and many who lived within it) would say, "No way." On the chance you don't know. the trick is to make your way South on either 9 & 9A, or via the Sawmill down until you can cross over and get onto the Major Deegan in Yonkers just North of Yonkers Raceway and then scoot across the 159th Street Bridge into Manhattan (or of course, reverse the process). If you don't know that trick, it may come in handy either for you or someone else familiar with the New York area who may take wish to take advantage of this route.

It's been fifteen years since I last used it but I'm sure the "toll merchants" have yet to stick a booth in there yet.

Todd

Todd
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Time is more important than cost.
My Hotel claims they will provide tranaportation into New York for a "nominal fee".
We'll see where they'll drop us off and how much it'll cost.
On the surface, it looks good.
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Todd, yeah that makes sense, assuming you're coming from up that way. I could be wrong, but I think there's a toll on the Sawmill now. Last year I was going up Yonkers way from Manhattan for one of Kevin's baseball games. He was driving, but I think I have a memory of a toll on the Sawmill. Could be wrong.

rinker, trouble with transportation "into New York" is that it usually means Manhattan. Doesn't mean you couldn't get a subway from there assuming where you're going in Brooklyn is near a stop. But if time is money. . .

Anyway, be sure they understand what you need. Todd's route is interesting, but it's not something you should consider (and I don't think he intended for you to). It takes you WAY out of your way and would not be suitable for what you want to do from the standpoint of either time or gas money.
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

I was just wondering what the magic is in staying in the Meadowlands, other than it's cheaper than city hotels. But when you factor in the rental car, the hassle factor, and the time factor, mightn't you be better off staying in a hotel in lower Manhattan (where the rates are somewhat cheaper than in midtown), and just taking a quick subway ride to Brooklyn? I don't know where in Brooklyn you're shooting for, but you're seldom far from a subway stop there. In October you might find some good hotel deals: it's after the summer tourist season and before the holiday tourist season. Plus, staying in the city would make it practical to enjoy New York in the evenings. Nothing is more than a 20 minute subway ride away from lower Manhattan. The Meadowlands is in the middle of nowhere.

Brooklyn itself is very weak on hotels, for reasons I've never understood. There is a Mariott in Brooklyn that's quite nice.
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Well, part of the reason for East Rutherford is the property was recommended by my ESA coordinator.
I arranged 18 rooms for 44 nights for an associate. They dropped the rate from 124.99 to 75.99
I get to enjoy that rate for my pittance 3 rooms for 9 days.

I will be working at the old Boston Navy yard.
The more I think about it...I'll actually have to have transportation available at any time so I'll just drive in.

When I initially looked for rooms I was finding sub par locations for lots of money. Meadowlands in the middle of nowhere is a good fit. Lessens the hassles o0f me chasing down my guys.

I do intend to hang around for a few daysafter I finish up. Last time I was in New York was when I was six......more than twenty years ago.

I should have checked here earlier.

I will now post the same question for Boston.