Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

View Poll Results: Would you paid a surcharge (and how much) to be on an adult (14 years and older) only flight?
Yes, I want adult only flights but I won't pay a surcharge. 9 28.13%
Yes, I would pay up to $50 surcharge 6 18.75%
Yes, I would pay up to $100 surcharge 1 3.13%
No, Childern are wonderful I don't understand what the big deal is. 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Adult only airplane flights would you pay more?

I posted a gripe requesting adult only airplane flights and the reply surprised me, most people thought it was a good idea. So my question to the group is would you pay more for a flight that didn't allow anyone under the age of 14?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I had to vote no because in all of my years and hundreds, perhaps thousand + flights, I have never had a problem with a child that was so bad that I would consider paying additional to fly on an adult only flight.

I have experienced crying babies, one or two seat kickers and the basic brat but overall most kids have been pretty well behaved.

Now some of the "adults" have been total jerks.

The guy in first class who somehow got away with referring to the flight attendant as "bit**".

The woman who asked me to go sit in coach so she could have both first class seats. I had a polite response for her.

The people who decided to tell me their entire life's story, including intimate details, while I was trying to work.

The drunks who couldn't talk without yelling or swearing.

Being stuck next to people who probably hadn't taken a bath in two, or more, weeks. Or the people who decide to bathe in perfume and add more during the flight.

The woman with the ample bottom, and top, who continuously rummaged through her purse and constantly asked me to "move over" even though half of her rear end was in my seat.

No: I may just go for a "Kids only" flight.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I wouldnt pay more for an adult only flight.
The only bad behaved kids I have travelled with are ones with even worse behaved parents, and I have to say the rudest most demanding people are adults, not the kids. Crying babies, I can only feel sorry for the little one, and usually offering a helping hand so she can tend to the baby helps alot.

I have like Mike seen drunk unruley passengers, passengers who refuse to put their seat up during take off........very adult, passengers who are rude and insult the cabin crew, pasengers who push others almost to the ground to get off the plane first..........

So........Mike I guess I will be seeing you on the kids only flight.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Well, your experience has been much better then mine. I was stuck behind this delightful child who had such a high pitched laugh I'm surprised it didn't infer with the radar system of the plane. This little angel decided pounding his fists on the tray table was a fun thing to do. (This shake the seats my hubby and I were sitting in). When we politely asked the mother to slience her son. She said we were lucky he wasn't crying. Are you kidding I would perfer the kid cry because in that case none of us are happy. Sometimes a happy child is more annoying then a screaming child. You take the kid only flights I will take the adult only flights and we can all be happy.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I think you missed the point I made in my post. Its not the child who is the problem, its the accompying adult. When My kid got to loud on a plane, I told him, "quiet love, there are other people on the plane ". Rarely have I seen an out of control kid who is not accompanied by a parent who cannot parent.

There are exceptions, like a child with a severe disability, but having a sister who is disabled, I can say even she knew how to be have on a plane, she was taught, as were we all of us kids who travelled on planes at a time when it was not common and quite alot I might add , and I never ONCE had an incident or complaint about my kid on the plane.

You write the responce of the parent regarding the child you complained about, the problem sits right there, not with the child who basically does what s/he is alloud to get away with.
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I think you missed the point I made in my post. Its not the child who is the problem, its the accompying adult. When My kid got to loud on a plane, I told him, "quiet love, there are other people on the plane ". Rarely have I seen an out of control kid who is not accompanied by a parent who cannot parent.

There are exceptions, like a child with a severe disability, but having a sister who is disabled, I can say even she knew how to be have on a plane, she was taught, as were we all of us kids who travelled on planes at a time when it was not common and quite alot I might add , and I never ONCE had an incident or complaint about my kid on the plane.

You write the responce of the parent regarding the child you complained about, the problem sits right there, not with the child who basically does what s/he is alloud to get away with.
Actually we posted at the same time so my post was not in reply to yours.
Besides if the out of control kid isn't on the plane then the accompying adults isn't either so it's a win win for me no annoying child or parent that is worth the $50 in my opinion.

My brother is autistic we don't know what he would do on a plane so he doesn't fly. If the child in my story was disabled I would have know it as I have been around different types of developmentally disabled people my entire life, he wasn't. He was a normally brat 3 year old child who shouldn't be flying anywhere.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis

Actually we posted at the same time so my post was not in reply to yours.
Besides if the out of control kid isn't on the plane then the accompying adults isn't either so it's a win win for me no annoying child or parent that is worth the $50 in my opinion.

My brother is autistic we don't know what he would do on a plane so he doesn't fly. If the child in my story was disabled I would have know it as I have been around different types of developmentally disabled people my entire life, he wasn't. He was a normally brat 3 year old child who shouldn't be flying anywhere.
I dont want you to think I wrote that the child may have ben diabled, as I would presume you could have seen /known that as I know you have also a disabled family member.

Some times though in fairness children do have differant types of disabilities that "we think" is being a "brat" but is a serious disability and difficult for a parent although in that circumstance I again say it is a parental thing, because if your child cannot tolerate it, you dont take them that way unless theres no other choice.

I will say I have two friends who have autistic kids and they have actually done really well on the plane, but then they have parents who worked for many months prior going through many things to get the child used to some of the sounds etc. - contacted where my Sam worked and he arranged a visit, visited the airports and so on.

Basically though,three year old children are brats because Mom and Dad allow them to be.

In the end thogh, I still have sat next to more obnoxius adults that kids.
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I will say I have two friends who have autistic kids and they have actually done really well on the plane, but then they have parents who worked for many months prior going through many things to get the child used to some of the sounds etc. - contacted where my Sam worked and he arranged a visit, visited the airports and so on.
My brother's Autism is pretty severe he can't stand the sound of a crying child all it would take is one child and who knows what my brother would do. However, you friends sound like great parents.

Quote:
Basically though,three year old children are brats because Mom and Dad allow them to be.
I totally agree.

Quote:
In the end though, I still have sat next to more obnoxius adults that kids.
This is not my experience the kids have been way more obnoxius. In fact we flew from Venice to Germany with a very interesting man I enjoyed the flight quite a bit.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
My brother's Autism is pretty severe he can't stand the sound of a crying child all it would take is one child and who knows what my brother would do. However, you friends sound like great parents.

[
I noticed with Autism, as well as intellectually disabled kids, they tend to have the feature of low tolerance tonoise. Studies show they do not process sound the way we do, and if they are not used to a sound, it is terribly frightening as well as ear piercing for them.

I know Michael has such a hard time with loud or new sound, and even sounds that are soft but new. When he went on the plane, they made sure her had special head phones on to block as much noise as possible.

I have seen Michael in actual physical pain with new sound or loud sound. Many don't understand this.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I didn't vote because I am fortunate enough to be able to fly first class almost all of the time. I guess that means I will pay extra.

When I AM bothered by a child...and I mean a kid whose behavior CAN be corrected, I will speak up. If the adult shines me on or in some way does not address the issue then I will take it to the attendants.

Now, I am talking about a pest who is bothering more than just me. I usually get plenty of co passengers lining up with me.

BTW, a crying child never bothers me. I mean, that means they are hurting, uncomfortable (full diaper) or upset.
IF the parent is not attending to a crying child...I jump in BIG time.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

As one who has recently flown with young children (my own), I can say that a parent cannot know how good a flier his child is until he does actually do the deed. Mine had a blast.

My own kid had no problem with the flight. Security check was another matter. You cannot expect a child of three to have such patience, and he didn't. I was still very proud of him for holding out as long as he did. I don't know what the security guards WERE expecting from him, but these "gentlemen" should go straight to Hell on the express elevator.

We were all children once. Some of us just forget.
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Admiral

I guess I would be willing to pay a small surcharge to fly without children onboard simply because I have seen too many cases of parents not parenting. What I may consider annoying and what the parents find annoying can often be two entirely different things, and if the parent does not find their screaming baby to be a problem then clearly they are not going to do much to resolve the situation. If I don't like it, well ... maybe I should offer to calm the child (yeah, right).

Sadly there are too many parents who are self-absorbed. They parent very little because parenting is hard work. They are on a flight and they have a child with them. That child is bored and is popping in and out of her seat, running in the aisle, and generally making a pest out of herself. Mom is busy listening to her iPOD and is really not interested in keeping the little darling occupied, so she lets her roam at will. After all, the child is on an airplane. She's not going anywhere. So what's the harm? Now all of the other passengers, not to mention the flight attendants, have to deal with the child being underfoot and possibly getting hurt.

I saw this exact thing happen on a flight home from Orlando once. A mother was traveling with her toddler son. As soon as the fasten seatbelt sign went off, she unfastened Johnny's seatbelt, and from that point on, Johnny was up and down. The flight attendants were trying to serve beverages in that aisle and had to constantly keep an eye out for Johnny for fear of hitting him with the cart, or ... God forbid, spilling something on him. The one said something to mommy and her retort was that if she attempted to confine Johnny, the rest of the passengers would have to deal with a screaming child for the rest of the flight.

Frankly, had I been the cabin crew, I would have simply suspended all beverage service in that aisle as long as Johnny was not restrained. It's not fair to the flight attendants to have to worry about injuring Johnny and possibly jeopardizing their own jobs in the process.

The thing about this that I found so surprising was that obviously this mother had absolutely no parenting skills. Of course Johnny was bored and rambunctious. Mom wasn't really paying any attention to him. If she would have put him on her lap, and maybe pulled out a picture book and read to him, I'm sure he would have calmed right down and probably eventually fallen off to sleep. But I guess she didn't want to do that, so everyone else in the cabin had to suffer.

It's not really the kids that I would pay the surcharge to not have to fly with, but rather some of those kids' p*ss poor parents.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Maybe there could be identified flights where children under a certain age are not permitted in business/first class. I find that it's not really kids who are the problem, rather screaming babies where there really is absolutely no remedy. Don't get me wrong--babies are cute. I don't have them by choice, and think I should be able to fly for 6 hours without listening to one scream the entire way. PUT THEM IN THE BACK OF THE PLANE!

I also agree with the posts about rude passengers...sometimes I do wish that there were partitions between the seats. Even though I don't fault others who weigh 300lbs, I don't think I should have to suffer through a miserable flight, either.

Another option might be to limit areas where kids can sit on the plane, or maybe particular seats. If the kids had to climb over their parents every time they wanted to get up and roam around, bothering other innocent passengers, then maybe parents would be more aware of what their kids were doing, and make them sit down and behave.
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

On our last flight back from Florida in June there was a child who had some sort of disorder and he was loud and very disruptive and trying to engage my children to behave in the same manner, to the degree he was hanging over the top of their seats, and grabbing them and being loud. This was really working my last nerve, and the mother of the child did nothing to discourage his behavior. I turned around and looked him in the eye and said you need to stay in your seat and keep your hands to yourself. Do not bother the children, they are behaving. Everytime he tried to engage the kids I turned around and told him to stop and behave. The mother didn't challenge me and eventually he stopped.

I don't understand why parents refuse to discipline their children. I have no problem letting a child know that their behavior is making me miserable and if my kids were doing something I was unaware of, I have no problem with someone asking them to stop their disruptive behavior. However, the kids have the right to also ehjoy their flights. Some adults think the kids should sit quietly and motionless. Well I like to carry on a conversation with my travel companions and so do they.

On the other side of the coin, I have to agree with Mike that it is frequently adults are much more annoying than the kids. One flight my son had met another child while waiting on a flight, when we boarded the little boy asked if he could sit next to d/s, I said sure. Well the boys had a great time and sat and played games and were very well behaved. They talked amongst themselves, not loudly. Well the woman in front of them looked at me and asked me if I could get them to "shut up" for five minutes. I really had to bite my tongue. So I said a bit sarcastically that I would ask, but the chances are slim. I asked her why she chose to sit near two kids if she disliked children so much? (This was on Southwest, where there are no seat assignments and it was far from a full flight)

Well she was very angry, so she complained to the flight attendant. The flight attendant told her if she didn't like being around children to move and so she sullenly stormed off to the rear of the plane. At that time I became aware of all the grandparent types who were surrounding us. They all were very supportive of the way I handled the situation, and a few even applauded when she left her seat.

Adults and children can both be brats, and paying more for an adult flight is no guarantee of a brat free experience.

I can say without a doubt, that I would never hesitate to say something to a child who is kicking my seat, pulling my hair or doing anything else that is going to turn a flight into misery.
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio
I also agree with the posts about rude passengers...sometimes I do wish that there were partitions between the seats. Even though I don't fault others who weigh 300lbs, I don't think I should have to suffer through a miserable flight, either.
"Passengers of size" should be required to either purchase a first class seat or a second coach one ... period.

It's not discriminatory at all, but rather a simple matter of fairness to the poor slob that is gonna get stuck sitting next to them for the entire flight. An exceptionally large passenger will not be able to help overflowing their seat, and they will overflow directly into the seat of the person sitting next to them. Unless they are on a row with only two seats, and that second seat is occupied by their own traveling companion who has no objection to being crunched for the entire flight, the large passenger should be required to buy a second seat, or they don't fly.

If anyone has ever watched "Airline" on the A&E Network, you may remember how passengers of size were politely intercepted before boarding. If they objected to buying a second ticket, claiming they could fit fine in the seat, they would be brought onboard the plane before boarding. They would have to take a seat, putting both armrests down. If it was clear to the supervisor that they could not comfortably do this, or that they would be spilling over into the space of the person sitting next to them, they were given an option. Purchase a second seat or they don't fly. Now if there are any empty seats on that particular flight, they could get a refund on the second ticket purchased, but I tend to think that empty seats on a Southwest flight were pretty rare.

But no passenger should be required to deal with another who is infringing on what little space she has in a Coach cabin. That's just not fair.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio
Another option might be to limit areas where kids can sit on the plane, or maybe particular seats. If the kids had to climb over their parents every time they wanted to get up and roam around, bothering other innocent passengers, then maybe parents would be more aware of what their kids were doing, and make them sit down and behave.
Actually, I saw a mom get around this very nicely on one flight.

I was in the aisle seat and mom and her maybe eight year old were in the window/middle seat. Dad and brother were in the last row of two seats directly behind us.

The girl wanted to divide her time between her seat and back with dad and her brother. She simply crawled around between our feet to get out of the row. Finally I offered to switch seats with mom so that she could have her kid on the aisle with easy access to the row behind us. I was just getting tired of having this kid underfoot and worrying about trampling her fingers with my heavy foot.

Blue skies ...

--rita