Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Default Good Medicine

I like my regular doctor. He's a nice guy and when I go for chekups we usually have a few laughs. But he's in a big practice (good in that there's always somebody covering), so it's pretty much go in and take care of business. He's always done right by me, though, and I have no complaints.

We're heading off for South Africa soon and I was looking on the CDC website and noticed that they strongly recommend some vaccinations for people going there. Terry called the county and they recommended a travel medicine clinic about two miles from the house.

There, they simply advised us to come in for a chat, to discuss our itinerary and our needs. We went today and were seen together by Yvonne, a nurse-practitioner of about our age, who is one of the nicest people I've encountered in a long time. Not only did she advise us on what shots would be wise, but she went over our individual situations carefully and discussed many things. She gave us page after page of printed advice on everything from insect repellents to water recommendations (drink bottled water no matter what they tell you), along with many other practical tips from passport copies to making it a point to wear those little paper shoes at the airport when they make you take your shoes off. She said there has been a rash (sorry) of foot fungus problems traced to airports.

Yvonne and her husband are widely traveled as well, and she's made a number of trips to where we're going. So one one of the sheets (I think it was the one about insect repellents), she wrote several South African wine recommendations. That's my kind of nurse-practitioner.

It so happened there was nobody else in the waiting room, and what probably should have been a 10 minute appointment turned into an hour, because we were having such a nice time.

Finally, it was time to roll up our sleeves, get the shots, and head out. One of the vaccines we took was for hepatitis, and it made me think of our old friend Pam Kane. If only she'd met Yvonne. . .

Medical care in this country is not parcelled out fairly or equally, as we all know. We were fortunate today to see the profession at its caring, friendliest best.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

A great story AR. You are fortunate to have met a doctor who takes the time to visit and explore the wife's and your needs. So often we are simply a get in and get out group of chattle.

I know ya'll will have a great time down there and I look forward to "hearing" your stories when you return and see the sights when you post any photos.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Good Medicine is a rare find AR, and you were lucky today!
I saw a Dr. last week who filled in my paper work for work (time off) and never even LOOKED at me, much less examined me!
I saw a new doctor today who took the time to listen, examine, make suggestions, give me free samples of medication, filled out paperwork, but most of all, was friendly and smiling. Makes a BIG difference!

donna
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Admiral

AR
Thanks for mentioning Pamda
I cant believe that tomorrow marks the 4th anniversary of her passing.
Gosh I wish I was going to Africa-----have a wonderful time

cheers
April
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Who's pamda? or was?
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Admiral

AR - you "lucked" out - she sounds like a gem. A far cry from most of the medical care I have received.

I still think of Pamda quite often as I peruse these boards. When I first found cruisemates she was a big help to me.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by boSeaphus
Who's pamda? or was?
Pamda was a talented travel writer, mother, and bon vivant who hung out here until her death at a young age four years ago. Some of us established friendships with her that went well beyond this board.

She could make me laugh in ways that almost nobody else can--and I laugh a lot. Outside this board, our communications--both e-mail and in person--would have gotten us kicked out of here in a heartbeat. Anybody overhearing us would have sworn that we hated each other--but it was just the opposite.

She died from hepatitis that she contracted while traveling. That was a sad, sad time.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Admiral

The Phlamingo Phlock keeps her memory alive ..... we all have fond memories of the great times we all shared. As I said to April on our Phlock board yesterday, her smile shines brightly and the sound of her laughter rings in my memory ....and then there was her wicked sense of humor ... she is greatly missed and thought of often.