Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Captain

Default Good Morning It's Thursday

Good Morning CM's

Yes it is Thursday all ready, time to climb out of your nice warm bed and do what you do so well.

You all have a great day.

Irish 8)

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Seven years ago it was a day much like today. The day dawned on a beautiful pre-fall September day, blue skies, warm, but not hot. A day I would have rather not wasted in the office. Being our busy season, I was immersed in work shortly after arrival. Suddenly a tremendous bang reverberated and echoed through lower Manhattan. A co-worker asked "Was that thunder?". "No." I replied looking out at the cloudless day. Someone on the other side of the office screamed "Its the Trade Center!!!!!" We rushed around the corner to witness the gaping hole in one of the towers. Our boss, as white as a sheet, said "A plane flew right into the tower!" We stood there tranfixed at the scene. Then suddenly, a burst of flame from the other tower as the second plane hit. We then evacuated and a co-worker and I began the long trek uptown, hoping to get out of the city, pausing to watch the towers collapse. Even now seven years later the feelings and images are as sharp in my mind as they were that day. Watching in helpless horror as people jumped to their deaths because it was the easier way to die. Feeling helpless becuase the most useful thing I could do was to get out of the way. Wondering what was going to happen next. Hearing all of the wild rumors ciruclating. Marveling at how New Yorkers and commuters from the region rose to the occasion evacuating with a minimum of panic. The mutual tears of relief when I finally got Marj on the phone to tell her I was fine. Wondering what the fate of my fellow commuters who were still parked in the lot when I got back to my car. I now understand my Father's experience at Pearl Harbor. I wish he were still around to share with as I now know the feeling of witnessing the unthinkable.

God is good and he spared me that day. I will attend mass later today to thank Him and honor the memory of those whose lives were suddenly snuffed out that day. I will also pray that we never forget, ever.

My traditional morning pictures will continue in my next post. Everyone have a great day and take a moment to remember.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Well it is Sept. 11 again, this is an anniversary I wish we did not have to commemorate. But sadly, what is done, is done.

Just made the coffee, got d/h out the door, fed the cat and now I have a trip to plan. I finally got around to hammering out the details of the Europe trip. I really want to see and do as much as possible with the time we have there, but don't want to kill myself in the process. The original plan was to spend 3 and half weeks, 2 of which were to be a Transatlantic cruise. Well it was just too long to be gone from the business at this time, so I pared it down to 10 days. So here's the plan now, We arrive in London on the 21st, on the 22nd we'll fly to Milan then likely take a train or drive to Rome. We'll hop on the Costa Concordia for 7 days to visit Savona, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Tunis, La Valletta, Malta and Palermo, Sicily, then back to Rome. Then eventually we'll fly back to Dublin and then fly home from there.

I feel better now that I have that hammered out. It's hard to believe we only have 2 months until we leave. It seems like I have been planning this trip for ever... probably because we keep changing our mind.

Spent lots of time working on schoolwork with the kids yesterday morning. Its amazing how quickly they learn stuff. D/D is knocking my socks off with her new found reading ability. It cracks me up when she picks up a book and realizes, Hey I can read!
D/s is sooo sweet these days, he's all about kisses and hugs, which is sooo cool, but alas he won't be 8 years old forever and before I know he'll be a smelly, hairy, hormonal teenager, who knows it isn't too cool to be seen hanging out with your mom. So I better take it while I can get it and lock these days in my memory banks.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Doug,

That is indeed another Day of Infamy that will never be forgotten.

My stepson was a firefighter with the FDNY assigned to a truck (I forget the number) in Red Hook Brooklyn. One of their primary responsibilities was the World Trade as they were just directly across the river.

He was off duty the morning of 11 September 2001. Everyone who was assigned that morning is gone.

Today is certainly a day for remembrance, reflection and most of all, prayer.

Todd
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Good Morning Mates,

It is a bright, clear, cold morning. Only 34 out. I am not ready for this, it is too early - well it isn't, but in my mind it is.

THanks for sharing your experience with us today Doug.

I have lots of work today...I must get busy
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Captain

Doug - If you would light a candle at Mass in memory of those he gave all, I would deeply appreciate it.

ToddDH - God Bless your son and keep him safe and may God hold all of those who perished lovingly in the palm of his hand.

For all of those who perished and those who still grieve:

The Lord bless thee and keep thee.
The Lord cause his light to shine on thee.
The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee.
And give thee peace. Amen.

Irish
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Good morning all:

It is the seventh anniversary of a sad day in American and world history. I think all of us will remember where we were when we found out.

It was two days after my daughter's wedding and my MIL, FIL and SIL were still staying with us. When I returned home from work I found everyone glued to the TV, as I and the rest of my co-workers had been, and they stayed there for two total days until I turned it off and said "It's time to get back to living life." It seemed hard but it was the best thing to do.

Doug: Thanks for writing about your experience that day. It reminds everyone of the impact it had on people and the nation.

Otherwise, today is a nothing day. Nothing on the agenda, it's raining and Betty has caught a bad cold. With nothing to do I have nothing else to do but "Get in trouble". That sounds like a good idea.

Everyone have a great day!

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Kids,
7 years ago today, it was such a sparkling late summer day, with a brilliant bright blue sky, and I rememebr every moment of that morning as I left for work, ans what happened as the days unfolded...Our hearts are still heavy, and we will never forget.

I wanted to switch over closets today, but i think I may put it off till next week..it is such a big job, and I get overwhelmed:) I am down 15 pounds, and working hard, so who knows if anything will fit..I may spend the winter in pajamas:)

I went to the seminar yesterday, about, learning how to set up, & sell in online stores..I went to get a bit of knowledge, but it was a pre seminar to set you up for the real seminar...lol. since it was in the next town over, I figured what the heck..so I left, after eating a nice lunch, with a free mps player....I have wasted more time so....:)

Make it a good one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Morning from the Pacific Northwest...............dark out.......feels like fall.....but it is suppose to warm up.........

Doug......thanks for your rememberance.......

Mike........a do nothing day is good......hope Betty feels better soon.........

Y'all have a good day............

Sharon
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Well, Ike is way out in the gulf, like 350 miles from us on the panhandle, yet we are feeling the effects. One of our main roads, Highway 98 on Okaloosa Island, is closed because there is water over both the east and west bound lanes. Anyone trying to get to or from Destin has to come through Niceville and the traffic is backed up for miles. They have already closed our beaches off, can't even walk on them. It took me 20 minutes to go 1/2 mile. I don't think I will get out today at all. Everyone have a great day.

Need some cruise help?
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Morning All, from Montreal, where I slept in late! Good thing I have no appointments today!

Doug, thanks for sharing your memories with us this morning.
I live very far away from all that happened, yet we were just as riveted to the TV and just as horrified as those in your country.
I remember flying to Miami for a honeymoon cruise, just a few short weeks after 9/11, and seeing soldiers armed with rifles at security. It was scary, but then I remembered the fear of those who lived that day in history....

Irish, loved the first blessing today, but thanks for the 2nd one too.

donna
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Morning all,,,

From the rainy east coast of Va. It's a dismal day but it's 9/11 so it seems fitting.

Doug thanks for sharing your story this a.m. I pray we can all find peace in the years to come from this.

On a bright note today is also my oldest grandson Dillon's birthday. He is 10 today. It was his birthday before 9/11 became something awful.

Dan is in training classes all day so I am off today. Works for me !!!

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Good morning from central Texas, where it's a warm, partly sunny day, that the newsman called the calm before the storm.

The kids and I went out last night to get what we thought we would need for Ike. Wal Mart had started running out of flash lights, so we got two of the last ones.

The cars have all been gassed up, and now we wait.

I was in a classroom full of 5th graders this time 7 years ago. It was a Special Reading class, so I was co-teaching, with another lady, who's father was working in the Pentagon.

Word soon spread through the school about what happened, but we were told that we could not share with the kids, so one of the hardest things for me, was to keep a straight face in front of them.

The rest of the day was a blur. I remember spending my off period, manning a door to the school, because we were in a total lock down.

I remember wanting to hold my children. I remember looking at the TV and wondering why.

Doug, My heart goes out to you today. I can feel the emotion in your words.

To all others, My very best for you today.

Love,

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Good Morning All - quite a day to remember, - and I just had a pleasant surprise, a former boss of mine dropped by, she's now re-assigned here at Ft leavenworth so it's so good to see her again.

I hope everyone has a good day - despite the reminders we will see all day -

Prayers out for everyone!
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default b

Doug Thanks for the post. I well remember that moment and day. We were in Mexico towards the end of a Copper Canyon Tour. In the hotel for breakfast. Someone came down from their room and said a Renagade plane just plowed into a building in NY. We rushed next door in the bar to witness on TV the 2nd Plane crashing into the Trade Center.

It was hard thing to remember. Then we started wondering how we were gonna get back to the US. B ut we did without any effort.

Prays going out to all those that suffered.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Good Morning It's Thursday

Good morning from Southern California where it's overcast. Nice cool mornings, very pleasant.

Doug, thank you for sharing. There'll be lots of memories and reminders today.

Keith is headed for the clinic for routine blood tests and to see his eye doctor. We will have an early lunch and go into Los Angeles to see the stage version of "9 to 5." Wish we had better seats! The show will head for Broadway after its Los Angeles run.

Judy
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Good afternoon from drizzly, Virginia Beach. Yes, the memory of September 11, 2001 will always linger in my mind. My husband, Rob, was on a business trip to Washington, D.C. and actually saw a plane crash into the Pentagon. Several people, who work for my daughter, Leslie's, employer, Booz-Allen Hamilton, were killed that day because they worked in the Pentagon; they were at the right place but at the wrong time! May the memories of those that lost there lives, and the ones that commandered a flight in Pennsylvania, not die in vain! Having freedom in the United States should not be taken lightly; we should all be proud to be Americans!
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Admiral

My friends son passed away on the day, and I had a relative in the air over New York at the time. Same airline company as well. We were worried not knowing which flight at first. They sent the plane back to Montreal. They were of course stranded here for almost a week before planes were back in the air. I just remember being glued to the TV, I couldnt turn it off, it was on24/7. As it is I admit it is almost always on as I listen to it like a radio, but for this I was looking at it all the time and that is not usual for me.

My friends son and daughter were in the first bombing and came out OK. This time, years later her son did not. Its very sad.

I was struck yesterday when I spoke to her, she said she was going to stay home quiet, said she could not have the public open collective grief any more, that it was eating her alive, she wanted to remember her son with family quietly on her own. She said she was spending the first 6 months of the year dreading the ceramony, and the next six months to get over the wounds again, I respected that which is why I called the day before just to say I love her.

I am some what bothered/ anxious when I hear though how America has been kept safe for the last seven years, in speeches today, there was such a long time lag before the bombings and 911, I worry statements like this give a false sense of security. I personally feel something else is around the corner, whether in a year, or two or five from now. I think it is a false sense of security, and worse yet, I truly believe that all the security measure in the world can never prevent some one determined to cause harm.