Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default The Sun Sets on 9-11

Dear Cruisemates,
It was with interest and compassion that we read your accounts of the day seven years ago. Even though we were distant from the actual events, I still have such vivid memories. Watching the Today Show when they showed the first plane crash, and then the live broadcast of the second plane. It was so hard to leave for work.
At school we had an emergency meeting that morning. We were told to go on as if nothing happened, and not to mention anything. Of coarse, a little boy entered class to tell the kids all about it. I remember a mom in the reserves, who came to pull her kids out of class because she was put on alert.
Many of that day's events I did not know about until after getting home from work. We all watched the news events for many days after.
Today we had rain again in Grand Junction. The kids had to miss there noon recess because of thunder and showers.
Tonight one of my former kindergarten students is appearing on a MTV
music competition. He is with a band called Mosaic. It will be fun to watch Josh compete. (We seldon ever watch that channel.)
Peace and good wishes to all of you.

jojo and ed
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Admiral

I too was at work when I found out. I was the secretary/registrar in our local elementary school at that time. We got the first call from my bil - my sister, his wife teaches at the school. It was good to get the alert as we had to deal with many hysterical parents calling most of the day.
It was unreal...
A girl I babysat when she was little didn't have to go to work that day - she worked in the World Trade Center. My cousin, who works at the Pentagon, also didn't have to report to work that day. I remember the relief in know that they were safe, while still grieving for all the scenes unfolding on the tv.

While I hope it never happens again, I always just sort of feel another "event" is ever on the horizon.

When I was on my last cruise I remember watching the news and seeing the terrorist plot unfold in Spain (at least I think that is where it was).
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Lots of sad memories for a lot of folks today.

donna
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Hello,
Trevor and I were just watching a special on the 9/11 Disaster on the History Channel. It was rivoting. It seemed all the more real to me this time since I just visited New York City in July and was at Ground Zero. I was actually on those surrounding streets and knew just where the footage was being filmed. I even had my picture taken in Time Square where some people were interviewed on the day of the attack. At one point my son and I were at the marina that was shown that day, right down in the Financial District across from Jersey City.

I was at work the day of the attack and we were watching the reruns of the first plane hitting the first tower. Then, we watched in disbelief when the 2nd plane flew into the second tower. It was then that a sense of fear of the unknown started to sink in. That second hit really got us thinking.

I'm glad I'm able to post again. I haven't been on these boards in so long that I had to re-register-and chose a new password. It was a challenge trying to get back on here-but I finally got through!

Back to 9/11-I think it is something that we always need to be reminded of each year. With the passing of 7 years, the magnitude has been lost-and the sense of patriotism that we had when people were driving around with flags on their cars and on their front lawns and wore red/white and blue. We need to get back to that spirit of unity.

Bye for now. Lynne