Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A Tray, Not Tres Chic?

I wonder why some cruise lines will have trays at the ready for us, to be able to carry our food, comfortably and why some lines don't.

Does it make sense to you as well, that being able to walk with ease, with plates, cutlery, a drink, all sitting nicely on a tray is a good thing? Or, rather than having an oval plate, in one hand, drink in the other, and maybe having to go back to get your salad, etc..

When I cruised the Gem last year, there were no trays...so I asked for one, making it so much easier to get what I need, and carry it to the table.

Such a simple thing, you would think all the lines would use them.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Captain

Being rather clumsy myself, I've wondered that, plates only is not a good thing. I've had the situation traveling by myself, that I set something down go back to get a drink and cutlery, and wella, table is clear my food is gone! Now I usually ask people nearby to guard my table!
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Admiral

I for one don't mind not having trays.

One it is cost saving for the lines, not having to use extra water for washing them.

Two it makes me and hubby have to be more careful as to what we put on our plates and not over load, so if we want more we have to get up and get it.

Three, with having to carry a plate and silverware I have a better chance of not spilling. Trays always seem to get very unbalanced.

Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Admiral

NCL seemed to have done away with the trays when there was a big Noro outbreak. I believe it was part of their infection control efforts. I really wonder if they wipe trays down with a damp cloth or actually wash them in a more sanitized manner.

If it were just me I would not mind doing without a tray. But getting food for more than one person absolutely requires a tray or multiple trips to the buffet.

One thing I found is that if I needed assistance foraging food for the fam, all I had to do was to ask for help. One morning a couple of young ladies saw me gathering breakfast to bring back to the cabin for the family and they even offered to help me carry it back to our room. I did notice that our Coffee and tea set up in our room was on a tray and I would sometimes take that tray to gather goodies.

Tray or no tray... I have never gone hungry on a cruise lol
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Trays were before my time aboard Royal Caribbean so I never got used to not having them. I do, however, have a guess (and it is only that) about possibly why they don't.

In addition to those reasons advanced by nlb1050 and Beenie Weenie, I'm thinking the size of the tray relative to the size of the tables may have something to do with the decision. At a normal sized circular table for four such as those found in most general dining venues (i.e. Lido's as found on most ships), it is very difficult if not sometimes impossible to put four trays on the table. Then comes the problem of where do you stack the trays. All of this takes space and from what I've seen (especially on vessels such as the Explorer of the Seas), space is at a premium, especially in the Windjammer Cafe.

Todd
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm not a real advocate of trays. I prefer a single plate and make an additional trip or two, between courses, if I need to. I will get my salad first and then get my entrée and dessert.

I am not a fan of overloading my plate so I would rather do it a couple of times.

The biggest problem is the silverware. Luckily I usually am wearing something with a pocket so I just stick in the pocket and off I go. I do like it when silverware and napkin are right on the table.

I know it would be a problem if you were trying to get food for multiple people, or you are mobility impaired.

My wife did the same thing, on our last NCL cruise, as Beenie when she went to the buffet to get me something to eat when I was not felling well. She grabbed the tray from under the coffee service and used that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
First Mate

Methinks I will smuggle a tray onto my next cruise in my checked luggage. Nice and flat, takes very little space, and could be placed to provide puncture protection for other contraband in plastic bottles.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Admiral

I did not like no trays on the GEM, but do understand cost savings not using them water wise and also hygeine wise as well, I will say I was often helped when I was having trouble carrying things to the table. Many places seem to be going "trayless" for the two reasons cited.