Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Well we have power again...

Well it's been almost a week ago (Fri 9-12-08 10pm) since we lost our electricity. We are one of the lucky one, we have a generator. Therefore we were able to run our fridge, freezer, and several fans. Even the big TV in short spurts. We used lots of batteries for flashlights and our little battery powered tv.

The hurricane hit wee hours Sat morning...high winds and rain. When the sun came up the yards and streets in our subdivision were full of leaves, branches, some lost large trees too. (our home is 30 yrs old just paid off in April 2008 the subdivision is about 35 yrs old) We lost some roof with a little ceiling damage and the backyard fence all went down. My DH windshild was broken on his van

Not too bad but...Then Sat night we were all exhausted from being up all night...went to sleep with all the windows and patio doors open. We slept through a horrible rain storm that flooded our street and drenched our carpets below windows and in front of the patio doors (They were open so we could breathe and sleep with no A/C).
Overall we are doing well...blessed for sure! All the things that were damaged are insured so hope to have repairs done soon (Adjusted call today and said since our house in livable it may be weeks before they come out for us. There are so many more that have lost more or everything. NO COMPLAINTS HERE...we had cool air, water and food...cooked on the propane grill and even ran a couple of loads of laundry. Hung it out to dry on the lines i made in the backyard...we live in a Country Club Community don't think the HOA would approve of the clothesline

Oh yeah...my brother's friend Doug with the shrimp boat, he rode the hurricane out in his boat in the the Houston Ship Channel, as soon as it was over they ran the shrimp boats out and they went back to Boliver...there was no food, no water, and no rescue until yesterday. They (Doug and his firstmate walked along the road found a convience store that was scattered all over the road they found 4 bottles of champange and 4 cans of SPAM. (probably great champange from the conv store) then they found a grocery cart and were going down the road picking up cans of food...could be green beans or dog food...who knows they had no labels HA HA. Anywho they were rescued with other shrimpers 18 in all yesterday by helicopter and he walked from the Seawall over the Causeway (maybe 8-9 miles for an old fat grandpa) to his wife that was waiting on the other side of the bridge.

The best part was we had a lot of family time together. My DH, son Ryan, my mom, and I talked, did jigsaw puzzles, had dominos, Yatzee, & cards. Laughed alot and had a few cross words. But we made it! Praises to The Lord for His safe keeping and for all your prayers CMs. We continue to pray for all those still needing them.

We did not like IKE!
thanks again
debbyedoops
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Admiral

thank God you are ok..we in new orleans understand what you are going thru
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

What a horrible ordeal for everyone there. God bless you all.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Admiral

DebbyeDoops,

I too thank God you're all alright. Just hope you soon are able to return to a normal lifestyle.

Todd
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Debby, I am so glad you and your family are well. It is great that you have the insight in spite of it all to see the glass half full, rather than half empty, realizing there are those much less fortunate and making the most of your time with your family. I'm not sure many people could have pulled off such a positive mental attitude. I love the visual image of the clothesline in the country club community.

I have to admit the story of the scavenging shrimpers is a hoot, thats almost a good basis for a made for TV movie. Kind of like Bubba Gump's version of "Castaway" of course the commercial sponsors will be Martini & Rossi and Hormel. I think the Skipper should be played by Larry the Cable Guy.

All joking aside, I am glad to hear all is well.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Admiral

I am so glad you guys are fine. been through a few hurricanes myself here in Florida and not having electric is not nice in this heat!

I was watching CNN yesterday and they said the recover and relief efforts are almost like it was in New Orleans. People are standing in line for hours for food and water. It does not surprise me at all.

Maybe now you can venture out and help others...be blessed