Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Captain

Default Oh, no I booked a vacation that isn't a cruise!!

I am still in a state of shock. For the first time in the past 5 years I've booked a vacation that will not be on a ship. I've been begging recently to take a vacation before our upcoming transatlantic just to get a small break from the stress at work but little did I know that I would end up at an all inclusive resort. However, I found a 4.5 star resort in the Dominican Republic for 7 days, all inclusive including return air for $248 per person total. I told my husband we can't afford to stay home for that amount and he agreed. I tried to make it to one of the cruise specials but by the time we calculated the extra airfare plus the fuel surcharges, etc. it just couldn't come close to this deal. I love the last minute club!!

Not to worry though, I'm not at risk of being cured of my cruising addiction : )
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

holy junk where did you find such a good deal???
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I wish you a great land vacation and hope you do not the get the rain we did on ours last year!

donna
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Share the details, maybe we all will join you Good for you!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Such a deal and good for you!!! With this lousy economy there are deals out there. Just like a ship, a resort wants to fill their rooms as well. If you are flexible, and can plan at the last minute, it would be foolish not to take advantage of a great deal!
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Awesome deal. Congrats. Have fun!
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Admiral

That's wonderful! D/H and I honeymooned in the Dominican Republic and it was so nice (it was the only place we could afford at the time, as we had just paid for a wedding and d/h had moved down to the states to live with me but was yet unable to work here since he is a Canadian citizen). Yes its a very poor country, but some of the resorts are wonderful and the sea is breathtaking and we had the fortune to scuba dive a lovely reef there. I haven't seen such sights since. Please post where you will be staying and let us know all about your trip plans.

We returned to the DR in March on a cruise stop, and chose an excursion on Cayo Levantado, which is an island right across from the resort where we honeymooned. It was very strange to return to the scene of the crime ! 11 years later with our two children in tow. If someone had ran into us on our honeymoon those years ago and asked us if we dreamed back then, we would be returning a decade later I could not fathom it would have been possible and the extent to which we have been blessed in our lives together.

I hope your trip to the DR is the beginning of a lucky streak, like it was for me and d/h. Have a great time!
Old September 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Captain

We will be staying at the Bahai Principe in Puerto Plata. We are in a Club Golden room supposedly right close to the beach. We are flying from Toronto which is a bit of a drive for us (almost 12 hours) but since we've driven to Florida many times (29 hours) we figure that we're up for it. The flight is a direct flight and we are expecting to be on the beach by noon. Woohoo! I've done my research and I know already that there are some folks who didn't like the resort but I'm going with my own thoughts and I am sure that it will be awesome. No matter what it will be away from work and all the responsibilities of home so it will be great I am sure.

We are fortunate to have jobs and lives that enable us to book at the last minute and as a result we lucked into a great deal. It will be a little strange to be aware for Thanksgiving and then Christmas as well, but oh well. We'll think turkey and yams while enjoying something tasty at the buffet.

We stopped in La Romana on one of our previous cruises and we enjoyed the stop. This trip we're hoping to do some of the zipline tours that are offered, I'm just waiting on a confirmation from the company.

Does anyone else have suggestions about what we might like to check out.