Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival passenger dies cave tubing

It was reported that a Carnival cruise passenger died while cave tubing in Belize.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17577889/detail.html

Our thoughts go out to the family.

Scoutdad
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival passenger dies cave tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutdad
It was reported that a Carnival cruise passenger died while cave tubing in Belize.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17577889/detail.html

Our thoughts go out to the family.

Scoutdad
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....
it could be said that...
"A cave tubing customer died in Belize."???

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Oh, how horrible!
Thoughts go out to the family....

donna
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

So sad indeed. After reading the article, it sure does seem that, the people in charge, should have realized just how rough the waters were that day, and, canceled the excursion;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 29th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Tragic.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Admiral

That truly is terribly sad. Over the past several years we have been to Belize several times, I really like it there. I have often flirted with the idea of doing cave tubing, the only thing that has stopped me are the handful of horrific reviews with these situations where the guides use very poor judgement and put passengers lives at stake to run the tour, when in reality no one should have been allowed to be in the river because it was swollen with very swift currents.

This outcome has been predicted numerous times by people who have been scared spitless because they mistakenly put their faith in the tour operator and blindly trusted the judgement of people who should have known better.

This also goes to show that booking a ship tour does not guarantee that you will get a tour operator who values your life above the money you paid for a tour. We really need to not be so trusting and to use our common sense, even if it means we lose $80 on a tour. Better to lose $80 than your life.

I feel so bad for this lady's family. This should not have happened.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I have written articles severely castigating certain web sites who would use averse situations over which a cruiseline had no reasonable control, not to mention ridiculous assumptions and even untruths in their rants against the industry. Having said that, I also am not a cruise industry propagandist nor apologist.

I would definitely hold CCL responsible if this is indeed, a Carnival sponsored excursion and if of course, continuing information bore out the initial report. While yes, caveat emptor applies in the free market; nevertheless when one elects to purchase an excursion behind which the Cruise Line stands (and from which it undoubtedly derives income), there accompanies what I would believe would be generally accepted protections and provisions. The passenger has every right that the excursion for which they paid probably a premium amount, to reasonably believe ("reasonably believe" being defined as that which the average, thinking individual would under like or similar circumstances, believe) that the excursion would be reasonably (there's that all important word again) safe, simply by virtue of the implication of passenger safety inherent in a Cruise Line sponsored excursion.

Just from Carnival's apparent discontinuance of their sponsorship of this excursion accompanied by what BeenieWeenie has related, such basic levels of safety well may not have been the case with cave tubing; a situation about which there evidently has been much previous negative reporting and/or comment.

A sad situation indeed and one which should give the entire industry pause prior to sponsoring future similar excursions, especially those also apparently improperly supervised.

I join with those sending prayers out to the family and friends of the victim.

Todd