Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Beginner

Default Smoking on Cruise ships

Some Cruise lines have lost a big customer base people who still smoke. [MSC, Celebrity RCL and Others} In their*edited for content* foresite they have directed a large Cruising class to Carnival corp ships. [Carnival Princess, Holland.] Well if I'm going to pay $2000 or more for a stateroom I'm going to smoke in it and on the balcony. So to all the goody to shoe lines you can have your smoke free ships We won't book any ships of yours again.

Carnival Fantasy 94
Holland Zaandam 03
Carnival Celebration 05
RCL Legend of the Seas 06
Holland Eurodam 08
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Captain

Default Smoke Free Ships

Royal Caribbean is not "smoke free". They do, however, have restrictions on where you can smoke.
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Admiral

It works both ways. Why would someone that does not smoke pay $2000. for a stateroom only to find that it smells of smoke from the cruisers the week before.

I'm so glad Royal does not allow smoking in the cabin.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Admiral

Well said Cruisequeen. And since the demographics show more people wanting smoke free, they are changing rules to accomodate passengers who want smoke free because that is how they are making money. I dont bnelieve cruise lines are doing these changes for health or safety, I do believe they make the changes because its what a larger majority of PAX want, and that is fine by me.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Smoking on Cruise ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabeardog
Some Cruise lines have lost a big customer base people who still smoke. [MSC, Celebrity RCL and Others} In their [edited for content] foresite they have directed a large Cruising class to Carnival corp ships. [Carnival Princess, Holland.] Well if I'm going to pay $2000 or more for a stateroom I'm going to smoke in it and on the balcony. So to all the goody to shoe lines you can have your smoke free ships We won't book any ships of yours again.

Carnival Fantasy 94
Holland Zaandam 03
Carnival Celebration 05
RCL Legend of the Seas 06
Holland Eurodam 08
OHHHH! Political name calling in your first post!!! This is not the place for that. Object to smoking restrictions all you want but why show a juvinile mindset to impress everyone here out of the gate?

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed us nonsmokers outnumber smokers by a wide margin. Many are even from the far right politcally .

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We edited out the political content. Other than that there is nothing wrong with someone expressing an opinion on this subject.
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
First Mate

The debate goes on and on and on. I like no smoking in cabins but I don't care otherwise.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM
david30101

Ive been on many differnt ships..And none of them allow smoking in cabins for safety reasons. The Mooron who falls asleep in bed smoking..Well you know what happens next..Nobody wants a fire at sea. As Ex NAVY I had to train for fires at sea. Yes im a NON smoker..And proud of it..Nothing worse then going out on the balcony to get some sea air and only thing you get is cigar and cigerette smoke from your nieghbor. There are plenty of areas on ships people can smoke..Expecially next to me while at the pool..Always my luck..
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Smoking on Cruise ships

People vote with their feet and their wallets. As long as I'm allowed to smoke on cruises, I'll cruise.

Did you know Hitler was adamantly against smoking, too?
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Passenger

on one princess cruise the couple below us were chain smokers. the husband would smoke cigars and the wife cigarettes. it was disgusting. we could not sit out on our balcony nor leave our sliding door open.

why don't the cruise lines who allow smoking ask that question ahead of time and perhaps put all the smokers on one side on upper decks so their smoke is not affecting the rest of us.

princess did not care one bit that we were denied use of our balcony.
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Ive been on many differnt ships..And none of them allow smoking in cabins for safety reasons.
At the moment most of the major lines indeed DO allow smoking in guests cabins.

RCI And Celebrity recently changed their policy, and began banning it in cabins and on balconies. Others, that I know, with similar policies are Azamara, Oceania, Disney, Regent Seven Seas.

Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL still do allow smoking in the cabin.

Over time I think it's likely these restrictions will tighten, but for now I think what i've listed above is pretty current.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am a smoker. I am very careful where I smoke, and will put it out in a heart beat if I even think someone is offended.

I look back and wonder when all these radical changes took place.

Is it because people realized that it was harmful, quit, but then resented others who still smoked, so they want to make as much noise as possible?

I have to give it to the radical folks. They charge on with their complaints, while the children of the world go hungry, and Washington is a hot bed for corruption.

Most likely your neighborhood children are not getting the education they need, and the bad guys seem to have the upper hand in this world, but insulting those horrible smokers seems to get the most attention.

I get angry when I see perfectly good people insulted, when if you look real closely, they are the cream of the crop. They are law abiding citizens, who would stop and help you at a moments notice, but they are to be treated like some sort of 3 class citizen, because of a habit, that the experts say is harder to break then getting off drugs.

For the record, I don't smoke in bed, and can't remember ever hearing of a ships disaster of a person smoking in bed.

Now we must know the truth. The Capt. of the Titanic was smoking when he missed that ice berg.

I know the smoke must be unbearable sometimes, and I know it's not fair for some to smoke and not you, but try to have a little compassion for others as well.

Remember they might actually be good people under all that smoke.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Admiral

We live in a country that allows, freedom of choice. I don't care if somebody smokes on a cruiseship as long as it is not around my husband, Rob, who suffers from asthma. What I do suggest is that there should be designated cabins, or areas on a ship, that smokers can smoke. These rooms or areas should be properly ventilated every day so that they do not become a nuisance to other passangers. It's a shame that so many actors and actress were used in commercials on television and in magazine ads glorifying the "social attractiveness" of this deadly habit. I feel that actors and actresses are not authorities on anything, they are paid spokespeople! How many people have started to smoke because of seeing a matinee idol light up in a commercial?
Old October 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Passenger

worse than being influenced to smoke by celebrities are celebrities trying to brainwash the american people to vote a certain way. unfortunately most americans are so ignorant they will vote the way a brad pitt or oprah tells them too.
back to the topic, i have no problem with folks smoking as long as it does not interfere with others comfort. put smoking cabins on aft upper decks. this way it will not rise up to another balcony and the ship will leave the smoke behind without having to pass by others.
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Captain

Default Smoking on a Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I am a smoker. I am very careful where I smoke, and will put it out in a heart beat if I even think someone is offended.
I quit smoking 25 years ago. Except for getting married, it was the best decision I have ever made in my life.

I finally realized that smoking would ultimately kill me if I didn't change my ways.

I don't think that non-smokers think of smokers as "third class citizens". Personally, I feel that they are victims of an addiction, that while very pervasive, can be overcome.

For the first couple of years after I quit, I carried my soap box around with me, and spoke out against the evils of smoking whenever I had the chance. I finally realized that it was a personal choice. I chose not to die at an early age of lung cancer.

No one thinks you are a "bad person" for smoking. If they feel as I do, they think you are a person who can still be saved from the horrible effects of smoking.
Old October 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Smoking is a personal choice like drinking. Like drinking it warrants restrictions on where it may be done. I quit a three pack a day habit in 1991 and I can sympathize with the difficulties of quitting.

-I do wonder about the wisdom of those who do not want to quit in the face of overwhelming evidence that you are killing yourself, however slowly. I was one of those who closed my eyes to the evidence for many years but it took an impared pulmonary function test to convince me.

-With cigarettes as high as $7 a pack, please do not moan and groan about how broke you are, that is an unfair test of the limits of my empathy.

-Do not expect me to like it when pregnant women smoke or anyone smokes around children. One of the most appalling things I saw before the smoking ban in restaurants was a table in the smoking section with 4 smoking adults with a baby of about 1 year in the corner of the table enveloped by a cloud of smoke.

In short I don't care if you smoke as long as you do it where it is permitted, unless I care about you. Please though, quit bellyaching about your "rights" being violated.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004