Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Default Talk About Being Depressed !!!

I got a letter (today) from my hometown about next year's upcoming high school reunion (40th)..It was signed by my high school sweetheart and of course she added a "ps" about looking forward to seeing me..

there are very few occassions that cause one to reflect on how fast time passes then a reunion notice..when it's your 10th or 25th, it's sort of special but after that it becomes downright depressing

it's ironic...in my small town, the only couples that are still together are those that married right after high school and never left the town..all the rest of us have a few "ex's'...plus more of us are not living anymore...there were only 33 of us to begin with and I think we are down to the low 20's

I'm thinking about suggesting to my old high school sweetheart that she should organize a cruise out of New Orleans on the Fantasy and leave her husband of 40 years home

how do you feel when you get these reunion notices
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, I went to an all gilrs school that, had a graduating class of about 300 or so.

The class officers would and should have, started the ball rolling, but they could have cared less...

Enter......Trip.....and since I have no patience, and, since we didn't have a 5 yr. reunion I decided not to wait till 10, and had a 9 year reunion.

I was on the phone at night like Dick Tracy, tracking the elusive graduates down, got a committe together and rolled that ball.....

And did again, for two more reunions.....then I stopped... So, if I get a notice, it's because I mailed it A reunion cruise sure would have been nice

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Admiral

I went to a couple - must be my 5th and 10th. We had a small class - like 50 perhaps - I went to a small Catholic school. Our 10th was a boat cruise on our lake - it is no longer here (but we do have a new one for next summer - boat, not reunion).

About half of us showed up - one of us is already deceased. Many were boarders, but two from the Montreal area did come, which was great.
I did not go to my 20th - I was out of town I think.

Next year is my 25th reunion for the Bible School I graduated from, but it is also the 50th anniversary of the school - so it will be a big deal - many people from lots of different classes will be there. If I attend I would see everyone from all the classes that were above me and below me - so it would be great, and then again, not so great.
No one will recognize me - I weigh about 65 pounds less, my facial structure has changed from the surgery...
I will keep it in mind. Also if I go then my friend from India will surely want to come home with me, and he says he is bringing his wife for it. I don't know if I can afford both of them - lol~
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Admiral

I went to my 20th and honestly it was really weird. I felt like I was in a time warp. All these people who seemed a lot older than me, talking about their kids going to University or their grandchildren... I am sitting there with my husband and very pregnant belly with dd. So I am glad I went, if nothing else to see a handful of people I haven't got to see in a long time. But honestly I felt really strange...kind of like I did when I went with my Dad to his 60th High School Reunion

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Don't think you want to go that route Venice. I ran into a girl I once dated and thought was a pretty good lookin' chick. Oooohhhhhhhh.... the years hadn't been kind at all. When I got home and told my wife she said, "Oooohhhhhh....you obviously haven't looked in a mirror in the last thirty years either, huh?"

I don't know whether there've been any reunions or not. A lot of folks around these parts don't get out much. Ran into a feller with whom I'd graduated shortly after I returned home. He asked me where I lived. When I told him I'd just moved back after almost thirty years, he said, "Where'd you live, out beyond Chuckey somewheres." When I told him I'd moved seven hundred miles North, he asked if that was past the Virginia/Tennessee State line. I told him I couldn't rightly recollect if it was or not.

Obviously, since geography wasn't such a strong subject back then, I 'reckon nobody could find the blamed thing if they did bother to hold one.

Todd
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Admiral

I love to go to the reunions. We had ours back in July. I was kidding with some of the guys that if they wanted to dye their hair, why dye it
white ??
I really enjoyed it--saw several people I hadn't seen since school. Yes, there were a couple of girls that I thought were the hottest things ever way back then--now I wonder how they could have changed so much ! Of course, I'm sure I haven't changed much at all !!
I have a few classmates I keep in touch with via e-mail but for the most part I rarely see any of them. Some I haven't seen since we graduated
and don't know what ever happened to them.
One lady that I have known since we were in first grade and was at the reunion passed away 3 days ago-- she had several medical problems--I'm glad she was able to come to the reunion, but very sad to learn that she has passed away.
So, I'm a firm believer in going to the reunions--one never knows whats in the cards.
We have lost 14 out of our class of 90-- a couple due to accidents, some to sickness and 2 of the guys in Vietnam so I attend them all. Not looking forward to getting older but we have them every 5 years and I'm looking forward to the next one already.
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

I have mixed feelings about reunions - I too went to a Catholic High School, and this is where all 4 Catholic grade schools merged. Well, you soon found out who the snobs were, and of course if you had a family name - you were top dog. (no big family name and not one of the popular kids)

Anyway, at one of the reunions I followed a group of my female classmates into the hall where we were having the "ice-breaker" and proceeded to talk with them - but all the while they had no clue as to whom they were talking. Finally, I was asked who I had married from their class, and I laughed and said, " I didn't , I'm a graduate"! They had the look of OMG!! who is this person - when I told them they couldn't apologize enough etc.
And then, the Capt of the football team came up to me and put out his hand to shake mine and introduce himself - to which I said " yeah Donny I know I graduated with you" -

So when you live in the same town with pretty much everyone you went to school with and they don't know you or care to keep in touch - then I'm not really interested in mingling with them for a reunion which goes from Fri night to Sunday Mass and family picnic.
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Admiral

This is the year of my 40th but so far no plans. I think some of the spirit of the class left with the death of one of the most popular members and a big promoter of reunions from pancreatic cancer two years ago.

Our 35th was a combined affair with the class of 69 so maybe we will piggy back with them. I took my wife and she was amazed at how old they were. I introduced her to the girl I had a crush on in HS and said just that. My HS dream girl said, "Wish I knew that then! " I am not sure if she meant that in a good way or if she would have had her very large older brothers beat the snot out of me.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

The Class of 1988 Reunion

will be held November 14-16 during

Alumni Weekend 2008/ 50th Anniversary Celebration

Never been to a HS reunion but go to all of college reunions. My 20th is coming up in two weeks. I am on the committee to plan the party!

Eckerd College waterfront campus in St Pete

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Admiral

My high school was large. I didn't know many of the people in my class. I hung out with some people in the class year younger then me. They did have a message board on Yahoo for the 20th which was held last year. All anyone wanted to talk about was high school experiences from 20 years ago.

I suggested a reunion cruise, but the organizers in charge determined it was to expensive. So I suggested a reunion picnic, which would be cheaper and people could bring thier kids. A lot of people supported that idea, which the organizers also rejected. Instead they went with an over priced county club thing that cost slightly less then a 4 day cruise. I didn't go. I couldn't see the point of pay that much money to listen to people go on and on about something that happpened 20 years ago.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Admiral

IMHO there is a big difference between a high school reunion and a college reunion..high school is more intimate (especially if you went to the same school from K thru 12..college much more impersonal if nothing else for the sheerness of numbers

my brother tells me my high school first love/organizer of the reunion looks better today then she did in high school...hmmmmm how do I get her on a cruise
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Venice,

You might try sending her a dozen long stemmed red roses into which floral arrangement has been inserted a cruise ticket and a short note accompanied by your recent picture. Of course you run two definite risks:

1. of probably either hearing from an irate husband

2. or worse (if you have my luck), picking up the phone only to hear your old flame laughing hysterically and saying, "You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"

It's a helluva gamble there, kid. But whay the hay, why not give it a try?

Todd
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Todd...I think I will pass on your suggestion..but then again I never liked him anyway

It's only human to wonder" what if" and I think high school reunions either confirm or confuse one's mind...maybe there is something to that old saying "you can never go home again'
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Have been invited to a high school reunion and declinnd. Any one I wanted to see, I still see, I have no desire to go to a high school grad. As for Nursing, that I might consider, the relationships were much closer, but then again, I kept in touch with any one I was close with, so seeing people I didnt care for really seems like a waste of time to me.
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
IMHO there is a big difference between a high school reunion and a college reunion..high school is more intimate (especially if you went to the same school from K thru 12..college much more impersonal if nothing else for the sheerness of numbers

my brother tells me my high school first love/organizer of the reunion looks better today then she did in high school...hmmmmm how do I get her on a cruise
You are in most cases correct. Except I went to a small private college that had about 1200 students and around 300 in my graduating class. My HS was bigger. I knew my college classmates much better.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM
Admiral

A couple years ago I went to Detrioit with Terry for the first high school reunion she'd ever been to (or heard about). She had a ball. A few weeks ago she came with me to my reunion--actually a multi-class picnic--which was the first one I'd ever heard about. That was also great fun. Neither of us felt at all melancholy about hooking up with people we'd known, finding out what they'd been up to, etc. It's more like an adventure, and a confirmation of life's possibilities.

I've been to a few college reuinions, and while it's true that they can be more impersonal because of larger class sizes, I think the trick is to contact old friends ahead of time and get a group together, so you know you'll have a core "gang" to hang with. Then when you run into others, it's a bonus. I'm lucky that a whole bunch of our college gang has stayed close over the years and we see each other fairly often with or without reunions.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Admiral

"how do you feel when you get these reunion notices"

They are fantasy on a person’s part. And they usually lead to mid life crisis on another’s part, so affairs, broken marriage etc. And usually towards people you no longer know as people!

ITS NOT REAL, its memories of something that is now well and truly gone, the past. Oh I "loved them when I was 16", but now I am 40 and in truth I have never seen them since I was 16,,,hello

Go back to the real life you have experienced for many years since then,,,as that’s real.

But if some are so insecure and unhappy, go and meet new folks, as very few can turn back the clock, as its just in some folks heads, a dream. And only that, sorry for being do harsh, but its the truth. Whats in your or others dreams or memories very rarely makes a good or new reality
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

I must personally disagree with you David and do so most strongly. Thomas Wolfe, even if he was from only about 53 miles from where I now sit, was not all that correct (if you're familiar with him, you'll know to what I am referring).

Although I could be wrong (as I frequently am), I'd have to say I am rather significantly older than you. I am 61. Somewhere between 40 and 50 is generally when those men who are going to have mid life crises, have them. You'll probably be surprised to learn that a whole lot of men are themselves personally secure enough that they don't experience such crises although there certainly is something known as male menopause. Those men who are contented with themselves, who love their wives (or significant others), realize that a man's mid life crisis is often, if not entirely, brought about by his own behavior (or misbehavior as it were).

I returned to the small East Tennessee town in which I grew up and again live among many of the folks who were playmates then and are today even stronger friends. Some were even former girlfriends and all of us are happily married and in most instances, have been for decades.

What you are obviously alluding to David, are adolescent romantic relationships of whatever degree. DId I have them? Of course, everyone does. I certainly didn't have to come back home and rekindle old flames just to see "if I still had it" nor did I ever have the desire to do so. Strange as some find it, I've been very happily married to the same person for over 36 years. I know for a fact there is at least one on these boards who exceeds my Wedding Anniversaries by decades. Not all men stray David, nor do they really ever want to. Do we sometimes, to quote Jimmy Carter, "Lust in our hearts?" Of course we do. But that's where it usually ends.

You'll find as you grow older David that you will progress through the phase to which you're referring, in fact you may be going through it now. We've all been through it and many find as did I that when all is said and done, one can not only go home again and again become close to many with whom they went to school but even end up living the most contented part of their lives after doing so.

I know 'cause I did and I am.

Todd
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admiral

David, me boy--you are , with all respect wrong for the most part. I doubt that most people try to start " affairs ", have broken marriages, etc. as a result of a high school reunion.
If that be the case, the marriages were in dire straights without the reunions.
However, in my case, I have , to date, numerous affairs on the books and several other " possibles " as a result of my last two reunions !!
AAAhhhh YES--- Wanda-- Helen, Rosie, Sue, and of course, Diane--

Geez- I gotta slow down---

Relax David--just pulling your leg a little. None of my several affairs have anything to do with anyone I went to school with !!
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Dayvid--

I think you have a very narrow and cynical perspective.

Todd got it right. I'm a year older than he, and have been married four years longer than he. As I said in a previous reply, Terry and I have been to each other's reunions and had wonderful times--with the old girl friends, the old boy friends and everybody else. Just like Todd.

Our marriage is still utterly intact, no affairs were started or contemplated, and good times were had by all.

And we treasure old friends. I hope someday you'll be able to say that too.
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Admiral

I have been married to my wife for nearly forty years, so what gives you the right to post this to me.

"And we treasure old friends. I hope someday you'll be able to say that too".

How arrogant of you, you arrogant B,,,, where or how in your head did you feel you had the right to post something like that to me, you dont know me or the friend I've had since I went to school at the age five.

Also I'm now over 50 and never had an affair in my life.

But, certain "social web sites" like Friends whatever are placing people back together, bursting marriages, relationships etc,,,and folks that get into it.....they live in dream world.

As for "I think you have a very narrow and cynical perspective. "

Well maybe in your head I will give you one out of two. But you are totally out of order, apology please

Read again the original posters comments,,,thats the road I went down, forget your hate for me.

And I will quote, if you cannot be bothered reading

"I'm thinking about suggesting to my old high school sweetheart that she should organize a cruise out of New Orleans on the Fantasy and leave her husband of 40 years home"

And your response is?
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Admiral

how did this get so far off topic?
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Venice,

See, I TOLD you just to send the flowers with a cruise ticket in them! That would have been the end to it. Until, of course, you filled us in on what REALLY happened at which point you'd probably have half of us'ns in the peanut gallery enraged and the other half wishing they were in your shoes.

In short, ya just can't win!

Todd
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

David,
It just so happens I agree with you! I attended our last reunion, and had a very unusual time! I met many fellow students, ( those that were among the livining)! I enjoyed those that
remembered meeting this "OutLaw"