Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Gone without a Trace:(

On another post I mentioned, a big chain of electronic stores in this region Tweeters is closing it's doors. It got me thinking just how many BIG, retail chains, air carriers and resturants have closed in my lifetime. Names you would think would go on forever, have been part of your life for so long poof, gone without a trace.....Recently on Aol, they had an article about just how many more are in danger of doing the same, saying adios. It's a sad tough time, now.

In, my area, big names, that I have seen close in years past...
Zayres, Bradlees, Caldors Fabric Place, Howard Johnsons, my first clam ever, Northeast Airlines that took us to NYC on our honeymoon..Pan Am, Braniff, Eastern, that list is long..I know there are tons more, but my mind went blank....Banks too have been eaten by biger ones, then closed!

What institutions of shopping, dining and more, have closed in your area over the years..Our town suddenly has lots of space to rent. Not that I care, but they closed the Stabucks in my town, and the one next door...Oh Krispy Kremes closed too, This is DD country, others need not apply.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

We lost Mervyn's Department store, Luria's and Service Merchandise. I know there are a few others but can't remember the names. Road House Grill was a good restaurant gone......
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Here in Montreal, the first to go were the apostrophes. Yes, that's right, I said apostrophes (')!!
Eaton's, Simpson's and Morgan's all became Eaton, Simpson, and La Baie, after the Parti Quebecois got in and eliminated all English signs, including apostrophes. Now there's nothing left of the stores except La Baie, which is French for The Hudson's Bay Company, from the original trading posts of the settlers.
We also lost our K-Marts when La Baie opened their cheaper counterpart, Zellers.
As for donuts, we just seem to have a lot of Tim Hortons. Krispy Kreme didn't stand a chance!

donna
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Circuit City is closing hundreds of stores in an effort to stay out of bankruptcy. As for donuts Rollerdonna is right Crispy creme was a flash in the pan!

And now Ford, GM and Chrysler are all in danger! along with practically every major U.S. airline. Never thought I'd see that day.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Mervyn's, Macy's, Sak's, Battlestein's, Ritzee's, Foley's, Sackowitz'.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
First Mate

We lost our Mervyns this year. They announced this the day after Christmas. Ed's son had been an assistant manager there for many years. We also lost our Krispy Cream Doughnut store, and this last week a restraunt called the Black Bear Dinner closed its doors. All they knew was a handwritten note to employees stating that they would get their final
checks in the mail.

At this time Grand Junction is located in the heart of the energy boom. So many families are dependent on the jobs offered by the oil industry.
I had just moved to Colorado when we had Black Sunday in the 80's.
Without any notice the industry shut down. This left many houses vacant.
Many families moved in a moments notice. Of coarse the downturn had a drastic affect on all businesses.

jojo
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We've lost Wicks Furniture and Sharper Image recently, along with a restaurant, Benegins and now Tweeter.....

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Yep. we lost Bennigan's too -- but Sharper Image? Say it ain't so!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Come to think of it, an awful lot of local gas stations have closed down recently - gee, I wonder why?

donna
Old November 3rd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Admiral

How about Grand Way, Grand Union, A&P, Robert Hall and Montgomery Ward?

Todd
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
First Mate

Here in central Connecticut, we've lost Caldor's, as well as a Krispy Kreme, which lasted maybe a little over a year. a few years ago we lost a store called Lechemer's (sp?), and even earlier than that, a chan of stores called Crazy Eddies. Some Starbucks have also closed. And Bradlees. Linen's & Things is now in the process of closing all its stores as well.

Where my wife and I grew up, in a litle town in the Mohawk Valley of upstate New York called Amsterdam, there were chain stores like Woolworth's, Newberry's, and Kresges (all called the "five and dime" stores in the 50's). All are gone. The current downtown in Amsterdam is a shadow of it's former self. If you drive around 15 miles east to Schenectady, the downtown is like a modern version of the abandoned pueblos of the American Southwest. Stores closed and boarded up.

But thankfully, Dunkin' Donuts is still there, and expanding.

Speaking of gone, does anyone but me recall a chain of small restauarnts, mainly in New York City, called Zum Zum? Great wursts! Does anyone recall ever hearing of Montgomery Ward being called "Monkey" Word?

Sid1962
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Well...as a child we had a "Monkey Wards" I still remember several clothing items that I purchashed there - shopping as always been important to me, but it is odd that I remember these purchase 30 something years ago.
We also had a J.J. Newberry's - sad day when that closed.
Grants - similiar to Newberrys, also closed and the Woolworths.
Then Forest Hills. King's Department Store became Ames, which was never replaced. Now we have nothing....literally
A&P gone, Grand Union gone - now it is Price Chopper and Shaws.
Dunkin' Donuts - gone - no coffee shop anywhere in town. It is sad

The area I live in Vermont is always the most depressed economic location in the state. Very little industry, no business, highest amount of welfare. It is sad and discouraging.
We have lots of mini-marts and grocery stores (which I am sure do well because so many residents use food stamps, which now is a credit type card).
Recently Brooks Drug Store became RiteAid. Loved Brooks. Hate RiteAid.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Check out this article..

http://money.aol.com/investing/compa...965x1200774000

Let's hope our economy sees an upswing soon, and things can calm down.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admiral

In eastern Ks., Leavenworth specifically, we've lost Kresge's, Woolworth's, Montgomery Ward or "Monkey Ward", Daylight Donuts, Sambo's, Big Boy's, Western Auto, Gambles, Mode-O-Day (a ladies clothing store). Duckwall's (like 5 and dime) left our area can be found in Western Ks., we had two local shoe stores and they went away yrs ago.

If you want anything other than Wally World and K-mart you have to travel to the Kansas City area. We have many empty stores in the "old downtown" and the Mall - well that's a total waste as well it contains 2 exercise places, Westlake Hardware, Maurices, Claires, Christopher Banks, GNC, Walden Book Store, and three others but I can't remember their names plus a movie theater - I don't go there as they don't have anything I need.

So depressing!