Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

ToddDH and Rescue - I do completely agree from the standpoints you both have made.

Parking is a MAJOR issue where I work and we do have monthly paid parking spots at a variety of different places. Some have better spaces than others but we pay the price.

I watch this person every day park in the two different handicapped parking spaces that are closest to the front door where we are employed AND the fact that she does not have to pay for an assigned parking spot. I see this person every day, does not appear to have any handicap but still parks to get a close free spot to the entrance to our job. The second spot this individual will park in is in a same location of one of the closest assigned parking lots to our company.

| street |
|...........|
|X.........|parking lot
|...........|----------------------

she parks at the X on the street

It fires me up so much of a morning when I see them do this. Does this person not realize we have customers come into our building that have a true NEED for the parking spot???!!!

This is the prime example of the issue.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Captain

Default Re: Handicapped Parking Abuse

Todd, I know what you mean. I'm a native Tennessean and visit relatives there multiple times a year, and I see precisely what you describe all the time.

However, I don't see it in other places I frequent: Michigan, New Jersey.
(Virginia is guilty of it too).

I wonder if this is a blue state/red state thing .. or perhaps a matter of
tolerance/intolerance of the nanny state. Shrug, who knows.

This thread reminded me of one of the most bizarre videos of the Los Angeles riots in 1991. Looters were driving to stores to, well, loot. And they would not park in the handicapped spaces!

Cheers, Aidan
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID

It fires me up so much of a morning when I see them do this. Does this person not realize we have customers come into our building that have a true NEED for the parking spot???!!!

This is the prime example of the issue.
I can see how this situation repeated every day would get your ire up. I think if it is the same person every day you could something about it.

See "Fix-a-Flat" above
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Admiral

That's the problem Rinker. It's epidemic. It's not a case of people without a handicapped sticker or plate parking in the places. They all have stickers. It's is the particular driver of the vehicle either authorized to park in the spot o if they do, does their condition actually (talking reasonably here) suffering from a condition that means they really have to park in such a space.

An interesting situation occurred here locally recently when a woman went by the police department to get information or something and had a disabled parking permit hanging from her rearview mirror and parked in a handicapped parking space. The woman was relatively "well heeled" and driving I believe, a BMW. As she looked fine to a passing officer, he asked her if she were disabled. Her reply was that the car was a relative's who was very disabled. He told her to take the permit off her rearview mirror and keep it off while she was driving the vehicle and also to immediately move the car. The lady became quite haughty and told the officer she didn't have to do that. That reply cost the idiot a revocation of the parking permit (her relative will have to reapply for another). Oh, and let's not forget the two hundred bucks for the fine. And this took place in the Police Department parking lot!!!!!

Todd
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Every once in a while the world is round and what goes around comes around.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

rinker - that would be great to do but unfortunately the DH is active and not retired like Todd.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Cruisenoid,

And you're telling me your husband doesn't have his own bag of tricks (heh-heh-heh)? It's a shame they've mostly gone to Capstun or an equivalent. Do you know what happens when you spray CS (Orthocholorobenzalmalononitrile) up a heater vent up North in February and then the (insert your husband's local term such as "perp" "puke", "cull" etc. here) cranks it up and turns on the heater?

Todd
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruisenoid:

If the person repeatedly does this then why can't you do the simple thing and call the local police. The fine will be a great deterrent to future infractions. If there is no handicapped plates or placard it's an automatic ticket, no matter who parked there.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Problem here is we have decent folks looking at scenarios, the folks that fit into these brackets,,,the cheaters, aint decent folks.

And there lies the problem, I can see it if a person needs a wheelchair, has crutches or a physical disability,,,can I see that in another person that has a heart, breathing or other "non physical" disability,,,,not easily and in fact NO.

That is true and none of this in our control, "who gets a badge" but I still stand by the fact that if you have a disability physical or not, then you get the badge because you deserve it medically.... and not because of a rule!

Its that rule and the use of it, that has to be tightened, here in the UK if an abled bodied person is found using said permit in the wrong way, they will be prosecuted, and great, prosecute them to the highest level the law allows.

Parking in handicapped spaces and who should have the right, is not about the people that have the right or may have a reason. To me the biggest problem is those that ignore all the rules and as people park wherever suits them, total disregard for others, they are the Fu***rs

I see it all the time, and the same with the woman or wife that is used to parking in "mother / child spaces" when they have the kids, but if they are on their own they will do the same thing. Others will just park in them and dont give a toss

No real answer to this for people that know right, as you will always face these people in life, question is how do you react to it?

Me,,, I take great pride in reporting their ass to whoever is in power, if I see their action as being socially unnacceptable
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Well, I must say everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will tell you mine.
No one has the right to judge anyone else on their disabilities or handicaps. My sis is 43 yrs old with head to toe arthritis... it hurts her to walk very far or sit very long... etc. she doesn't have a sticker yet, but often times I will drop her by the door because it's easier for her. She could easily obtain one from her dr. but has not attempted it as of yet. She feels the way most of us feel, and won't get one until it's absolutely neccessary.
But just by looking at her you would not know the pain she is in.
Further...
Do not assume you know why someone is obese. I heard reference to the buffet tables etc.
You don't know anything about that person, when I went on weight watchers several years back, I lost 130 lbs... and still weighed 300 lbs. I was obese but I had accomplished alot and was still working on it. And on weight watchers if you choose to eat at a buffet you can, and still stay on program... My aunt had a thyroid problem which made her gain alot of weight and she was not able to lose it.
Please do not assume you know anything about anyone else, because what it looks like on the outside is not always the way it is.... :evil:
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old November 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Ferrangi,

I think you totally missed my point. I don't think I nor anyone who agrees with my opening post or any subsequent posts (and I think I am repeating this for probably the fifth time) has any problem whatsoever with ANYONE who is truly physically disabled and who has authorization, to park in a handicapped parking space if indeed that was even your implication.

I think you also misunderstood my obesity reference. I especially rarely "assume" anything. I too at one point weighed in excess of three hundred pounds so if I were poking fun at obesity which I didn't intend to do, I was poking fun at myself. It's a very serious problem that should and must be addressed. While of course obesity can be a result of a mal functioning thyroid, I can absolutely guarantee you that such a huge number of the people in the area in which I live are not morbidly obeses as a result of thyroid problems! An overwhelming number of folks visiting this area from not only other parts of the country but from across both oceans as well, make the remark they have never seen so many horrendously overweight people in such a relatively small area. US Government statistics substantiate those statements in fact I wouldn't be surprised to learn were we to be the most obese nation on Earth. And the reason for the overwhelming amount of obesity in the Southeastern United States is also known. It's a result of the traditional southern diet, combined with a drastic reduction in the hard physcial labor that precluded such a problem from virtually existing in any magnitude until following the Second World War.

And while such a statement may be politically incorrect, I would NEVER, not saying that you would either, (and you can take this to the bank) even seek to obtain a handicapped parking permit simply because I personally have a problem (which I do) with overeating. That is tantamount to my saying that I am placing my problem on a plane with someone who has a serious physical handicap that cannot be solved by something as simple as not eating as much as they ordinarily would. The premise is......well....unacceptable to me.

And of course non overweight people eat at buffets (except again, you would be hard pressed to believe that were you to visit the local Ryan's). Of course I could only know that if I freqent the place myself, right?

Todd
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Todd, I knew what you were saying from the get go and empathize with your attempts to continue to clarify.

You have a been member since May and should be aware that some folks will jump on one comment (or their interpretation of it) and run away with it.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admiral

My apologies if I misunderstood. Obviously the subject is very personal to me.
I think this might answer your question... No I have never seen anyone who was authorized to park in the handicap parking have any trouble getting a spot.
In fact, when I'm looking for a spot, sometimes that's all there is available. So I just keep circling until I find an opening.
I have experienced with my sister in law where she has a placard, but the parking for the handicap was further away than general parking.
Again, Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009