Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default I Christen Thee.......

Two wonderful new ships have been christened recently, and I have to wonder, how two different cruise lines could think so differently about who they would like to have break the ceremonial bottle of champagne, and be forever linked to the ships history.

Solstice made a wonderful choice..jmho... ,below is a bit of the article taken from our Cruise News page....Please read that, for the full article on an amazing choice for Godmother.

"We are genuinely privileged to have such a remarkable woman serve as Godmother of this remarkable ship," said Richard D. Fain, Chairman of Celebrity Cruises and Chairman and CEO of parent company Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "Sharon Smith is exceptional in ways well beyond her academic achievements."

A magna cum laude graduate of Colorado College, Smith earned a Ph.D. in Zoology from Duke University, holds two additional honorary doctorate degrees, and a master's degree from the University of Auckland, where she also was a Fulbright fellow.

"If it is possible to eclipse our Godmother's professional achievements, she has done it in a way that deeply inspires all who know her, as she has conquered cancer - twice," said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Dan Hanrahan.

And, the Princess Cruise Line, chose Trista & Ryan Sutter to christen the Ruby Princess! Who, you say? The reality couple from the bachelorette series...I just don't get it?????

Below is a list of some of the people chosen to have this honor..some of these too, I scratch my head, and think why?

Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen ~ HAL Zaandam
Louise Calder~ Freedom of the Seas
Gloria Estefan ~Empress of the Seas
Tinker Bell, Dissney Wonder~ 1st Fairy Godmother
Cast of the Love Boat ~Dawn Princess [they christened it]
Martha Stewart ~ Crown Princess
Sophia Loren ~MSC Opera & Musica
Kim Cattrall ~NCL Dawn
Dame Judith Dentch ~Carnival Freedom
Helen Mirren ~ Ventura
Dr. Sally Ride~ Carnival Glory
Beverly Sills ~ Song of America
Entire staff of NCL Sky christened the ship

Seabourn in, 2009 will really be a trendsetter, when they try and figure out how they will have "ALL" the maiden voyage passengers break the bottle of champagne against the hull of their newest ship!!

So, what's your take on some of the chosen few? List more Godmothers if you know them.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Admiral

I remember my first cruise, on the Nordic Empress, now Empress of the Seas, and seeing a picture onboard of Gloria Estefan, the Godmother.
I don't remember seeing any pictures of Godmothers on any other ship since...but then again, I wasn't exactly looking....
Maybe I should make a point on my next cruise to see if I can find a picture of the Godmother!

donna
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Admiral

hmmmmmm Martha ... before her little "vacation" up the river heh....

actually the only one that does not make sense is the Olsen Twins on a HAL ship
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Hi!!
Do you remember Lauren Bacall of the Monarch of the seas,
Catarina Wits olympic skater,Voyager of the Seas
Roslyn Carter[former first lady]Sovereign of the Seas
MTL
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nice choices..a first lady, Olympic champion, and, a Hollywood legend....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Way to go Celebrity; people who have achieved greatness in academia are never recognized like they should be. I do admire people in the entertainment world only when they give back to society in a positive way. Several of my all time favorites are Glenn Miller, Jimmy Stewart, Shirley Temple and Ronald Reagan.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Inasmuch as Godmother's generally get to sail for free for the rest of their lives, I wonder how much that influenced Disney to pick Tinker Bell!

Now that Balabusta's let the cat out of the bag, expect many future ships to be christened by representatives of "those no longer with us."

Todd
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Captain

and can you remember the furor when Rosiee O'Donnell was named g'mother? I've actually forgotten which NCL ship, but I'm thinking it
was the Pearl.