Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Default Have You Ever Gone On A Cruise That You Felt....

you didn't get your monies worth ?..disclaimer ..I'm not asking about complaints or rude crew or other "normal" stuff that we read on these boards all the time

looking for the "cruise was just alright' but nothing special and the feeling of 'I could have just skipped this cruise and done something else with my money this time"
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am happy to say that I have never had that experience. Our last one in April was short, without kids, and my back was killing me, but I still had a great time.

Of course I might never have a bad cruise. Cruising to me is so different than many people I hear talk about it.

I have some sort of renewal on a cruise ship. I could sit for hours, and stare at the ocean. Having someone cook for me, clean for me, and smile while they do it,is so rewarding.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I am happy to say that I enjoyed all my cruises and never had one that made feel that I would rather not be on that cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Admiral

I would have to say yes. Our first and only NCL cruise. While not horrible it was not anything that we had hoped it would be. Just glad it was a short cruise, we just were not happy with it.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Never. and I hope I never do!

donna
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Admiral

No I have been lucky, I have cruise on 13 cruises and never a bad one.
Cruise a few times on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and My favourite Holland America. I don't let small things on a cruise bother me.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My one and ony Celebrity cruise was not "all that" but is was not horrible either.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Admiral

Nope!

Todd
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately, YES, my very first cruise back in 1990?, which pretty much chased me away from cruising. I still can't believe what I paid back then for the cruise, for the smallest interior cabin I have ever seen. It was on the Big Red Boat, which I dubbed the Big Red Joke. I think I paid something like 1500-1750 for my son and I, and my sister and her son, paid the same, we were all in the same interior cabin and it was only a 3 day cruise. the first day was lost by foul weather, - which is not the cruise lines fault - however, they handled the situation very very badly. once on board, we hoped things would be better but it was just one of those cruises were nothing was going to go well.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
First Mate

All our cruises have been wonderful. We have never had a bad cruise.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Yes, NCL Star recently. Just OK and yes could have gone to an all inclusive resort and had a better time and would have been more satisfied with money spent. Unfortunately this has soured me on NCL forever. Nothing bad really just got sick of being nickel and dimed to death and hounded for drinks. Not very relaxing and poor entertainment.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Once.. on the Carnival Victory I felt we definately had an "uncarnival cruise". An atypical cruise, considering we always feel Carnival offers full value.

On the flip side... there have been many many more cruises, which were so good, we dreaded leaving the ship. That's the much more common feeling at the end of a cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nope, never left a cruise feeling that way....May-be it wasn't totally perfect, but sure the best vacations I have.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlb1050
I would have to say yes. Our first and only NCL cruise. While not horrible it was not anything that we had hoped it would be. Just glad it was a short cruise, we just were not happy with it.
My feelings exactly.
Not overly disappointed just felt it was money not well spent.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Beginner

Yes, transatlantic onboard P&O Arcadia (West to East). We have done 20 cruises and this was the only one I did not enjoy.

Although I normally love 'at sea' days on a cruise this was just too many days without a port. I couldn't wait to get off.

What didn't help was that a lot of the crew were coming to the end of their contract when we reached Southampton and I think they had lost interest.
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Nope,,,we're approaching 125 cruises now, and the only one that even remotely gave me that feeling, was our first, and last cruise on HAL. It was still good, but just didn't offer the entertainment and "fun feeling" that I'm accustomed to. Like someone else said, it unfortunately left a bad feeling for HAL, and perhaps in the future I'll give them another "go", but for now, I'll stick to the other lines.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Ken,
It's odd that some people may be exposed to different conditions on the same line.
I have the exact opposite opinion of HAL!!

Or maybe it's that your idea of fun is different than mine.
As long as that's true I'll take your spot on HAL and you can have mine on NCL.
Ain't choices grand?
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Yes once. The Sapphire Princess in 2003. I could have done without that one.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Default CRUISE CONTENTMENT

HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK, even with 21' seas
matt
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Nope! So far so good! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Ken,
It's odd that some people may be exposed to different conditions on the same line.
I have the exact opposite opinion of HAL!!

Or maybe it's that your idea of fun is different than mine.
As long as that's true I'll take your spot on HAL and you can have mine on NCL.
Ain't choices grand?
EXACTLY! I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Perhaps it was just the particular cruise, or ship we sailed (Oosterdam)? I honestly can't put my finger on it, but it seemed that everyone was just kind of wandering around aimlessly, instead of enjoying all the activities aboard. I did like the linen napkins in the public rest rooms (see, that's the best thing about HAL IMO) but other than that, I'll trade you. I've always enjoyed NCL.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

never had that experience....hope i never do!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Yeoman

A bad week on any cruise is better than a good week at work. I have thoroughly enjoyed all my cruises, but if I had to pick a least favorite it would probably be the HAL Eurodam. It wasn't any thing they did wrong, it's just an older crowd. The ship was beautiful, the service good, the food excellent, entertianment limited. Seem to find more people with like interests on Carnival, NCL, and Disney.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Admiral

IMHO you hit the nail right on the head...your fellow cruisers can influence how you enjoy your overall cruise...which is why I am looking forward to my first CM group cruise on BLOG2NOLA...part of the reason why I enjoy my smooth jazz cruises so much is because all the cruisers are huge music fans which makes the cruise even better
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Never had that experience, either. Oct 2007 saw us on the Maasdam for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. Heading home, we tangled with a tropical storm, through no fault of the crew, that had the ship rockin' and a rollin' BIG time. That just pleasantly added to the experience, since seasickness is something I've never experienced. For those pax who were laid low, I truly wish calm seas and blue skies, but another 'fun ride' would be quite welcome.

Bob
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Have You Ever Gone On A Cruise That You Felt....

venice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
you didn't get your monies worth ?..disclaimer ..I'm not asking about complaints or rude crew or other "normal" stuff that we read on these boards all the time

looking for the "cruise was just alright' but nothing special and the feeling of 'I could have just skipped this cruise and done something else with my money this time"
I do remember one cruise on which I felt that things were "just alright" -- the dinner menus seemed a bit subpar so I ended up ordering from the "Always Available" section several nights, the quality of the food seemed a bit subpar, the entertainment seemed a bit subpar, the crew seemed somewhat less cheerful and eager than normal, and overall it seemed somewhat bland. But who knows -- perhaps I just had built personal expectations that were a bit too high. And in any case, it did not stop me from going back.

And when my first favorite cruise line morphed itself into something different than what I wanted, I just went to another cruise line.

Fundamentally, there are always going to be some cruises that seem better than others... which means that some cruises will seem inferior to others. It could be just that we are "in a bad place" emotionally, or that the crew had been through a real downer and really wasn't in their best form, or... well, who knows. But yes, there will be an occasional "downer" now and then. It's normal. Try another cruise, and it probably will be great!

Norm.
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

Our cruise this fall on the Millenium was a bit disappointing. Not BAD, just did not live up to the Celebrity hype. Alaska was awesome, as was the weather, but the ship was just "OK." In 14 days, nothing ever jumped out as exceptional, as far as the ship went. We did a 34 day cruise on the Pacific Princess and felt like each day was a gift and the only bad day was the last day- when we had to leave!
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First Mate

I have had the "I could have had just as much fun on this cruise without spending so much." experience
Does that count?
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Have You Ever Gone On A Cruise That You Felt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice

~.~.~.~.~
I have never gone on a cruise that was perfect but I also have never gone on a cruise where I didn't get my money's worth!

I believe in the old saying that if you don't take happiness with you, you will never find happiness. That's the first thing I pack!

Complaints are not worth ruining my fun over!
The food may not be quite up to par, the service may be less than efficient, The entertainment might be same old, same old,
BUT

The glorious ocean still gleams and roils its foamy waves, perfectly and I always try to sail to include a full moon, and that blesses the waves even more!
AND

I am not doing the nine to five, making the beds, cooking or washing the dishes or meeting a deadline, and that makes it worth every dollar and every moment of my time!
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

to respond to my own postings..for us single folk..alot of the cruise experience value for your $$$ has to based on your cabin mate

- I've gone on a great cruise with a really bad cabin mate and had a bad cruise

-I've gone on a bad cruise with a really great cabin mate and had a good cruise

I've gone on a really bad cruise with a really bad cabin mate and had the time of my life