Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Travelers Century Club

There's this outfit called the Travelers Century Club that I just found. They offer membership (apparently consisting of a magazine) for a $150 initiation fee and $50/year to anyone who has visited 100 countries on their list.

The list is interesting because (in order to get you to 100 quicker) it divides some countries based on geographic, political or ethnological differences. Therefore, for example, Puerto Rico is separate, as are the European and Asian sides of Turkey.

No matter. The list itself is a neat Geography lesson in its own right, because it groups the countries by regions of the world. Plus, of course, it's fun to count up your "hits" to see how close you come to being eligible to join. I'm sure Ray could join tomorrow, but we're not really even close. Terry's been to 67 and I've been to 60 based on their list.

Of course, quality of visits is far more important than quantity, but it's still a fun exercise.

Here's the link to the list if you want to look:

http://www.travelerscenturyclub.org/countries.html
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

AR, I have known of this organization since 1986. I am currently up to 79 countries with plans to add a few more in 2009. I was planning a trip to Central Asia to get a half dozen more (Kazahkstan, Krygystan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan) but caled off that trip when we left Asia. I think I will probably make the 100 countries required for membership in the next five years; but, I won't be able to really build up the totals until retirement.

We keep a map with color coded tacks inserted for locations we have been, locations we have booked, and those on our near term wish list.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default b

Iused their listing and started counting. So far I have counted 197 that we have visited. It is possible there is more but I am not gonna do anymore counting.

I am NOT gonna pay them $ to get on their list. There is nothing coming back to me for joining so I am NOT. There is a section in ITN International Travel News magazine which you can list countries you have visited and there is no Charge.

I Sail The Carnival Dream.

The Royal Princess Transatlantic.

I sail The Crown Princess to The Southern Caribbean.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last time I checked, Prince Edward Island was not a country. Nor is it geographically isolated from Canada.
I guess they can call Long Island a "country" using the very same logic. Who are these clowns?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by boSeaphus
The last time I checked, Prince Edward Island was not a country. Nor is it geographically isolated from Canada.
I guess they can call Long Island a "country" using the very same logic. Who are these clowns?
Look, nobody's defending them, it's just an interesting list. They do have a section on their website giving a rationale for their distinctions, but I didn't even look at it. Everybody knows that PEI is one of the 10 provinces, but I wouldn't get too worked up about their rationale--you can buy into it or not. It really doesn't matter. Obviously they're in business to sell memberships/magazines, and apparently they've been around for some time.

It did occur to me that in addition to counting countries, those of us in the US and Canada should also count states and provinces/territories, since between us we eat up such a big hunk of geography. I've been to 48 states (still hoping to get to Idaho and Montana), 5 provinces and 1 territory (Yukon).
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've been to three countries so far, and have friends who are from PEI. Am I close to qualifying?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Admiral

I could never even remotely begin to qualify were I to start my travels today so what I'm about to write (which is based solely on what I took from AR's original post and a visit to their website) may well be taken by some as "sour grapes." Be that as it may, I have to agree with Ray. I personally cannot understand why anyone would pay any money, much less those amounts quoted, just so they would meet a criteria that not only arguably is quite skewed, but is in fact meaningless. In short, were I to qualify, I would pay an initiation of $150 plus annual dues of $50 a year plus the privilege of paying $50 for lunch (that doesn't even include drinks!) to tell a relatively small group of people that I visited at least 100 countries. HUH??

The most fascinating facet of the whole thing, especially in this alleged age of enlightenment, is that anyone would give a tinker's damn with of course the exception of the sponsors, who are probably laughing hysterically as they deposit the checks of those vain enough to attempt to subscribe.

This sounds as if it has the makings of a wonderful Chevy Chase movie.

Todd
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Well, OK. For travel fans who don't want to spend money, the Mile High Club is free! And you only need to go there once to join.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Well, OK. For travel fans who don't want to spend money, the Mile High Club is free! And you only need to go there once to join.

Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13