Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default What the Oncologist Said

First of all, I had a 4:45 appt. and the doctor walked in the examining room 45 minutes later. :evil:

My cancer was not Stage 3; it turned out to be Stage 2, Part B.

I am to have a new test which might save me from having to go thru chemotherapy. Apparently, not everyone benefits from it. People are grouped by low, medium, or high risk of getting cancer again.

I suspect I will be in the medium group which will mean both radiation and chemo. I must also get hormone therapy. What surprised both Keith and me was that the doctor said that little was known about chemo in older adults. I always thought it was older people who got cancer. Anyway, the test results will not come in for a month. This means I can have a normal Christmas as nothing will begin until January. Sauerbratten, here I come!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Admiral

WooHoo Happy Dancing here in Indiana for you Judy!!!!!!!

Stage 2 is much better than Stage 3! What wonderful news! Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default What the Oncologist Said

Beenie, well, I hope it's good news. Frankly, I am not sure. I suspect I will be getting radiation, chemo, and hormone therapies. It looks to me like all treatment has simply been tabled for a month. But I am grateful to be able to have Christmas.

Judy
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Judy, Try to rest assured that things will be okay. Know that I travel in your heart always.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Judy.........good news that you can enjoy Christmas.......think positive....2 is much better then 3.........

Sharon
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Admiral

We will trust that all will go well with your treatments and rejoice in stage two rather than stage 3.
Enjoy your Christmas and New Year - I am sure that good things lie ahead for you.
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hope time will speed you through your treatments, and, in the end, you come out healthy, and will book your "Good Health" cruise, with a smile

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 4th, 2008, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Dear Judy,
I am glad to hear that you went through the next step. Now you have to hurry up and wait. The stage 2 does sound better than stage 3. I hope you can enjoy a nice Christmas. I can imagin feeling like you are in limbo for yet another month isn't too fun.
Prayers continue in your direction.

jojo
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Judy,
That is some good news, you can truly enjoy the holiday:-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Judy, that sounds like pretty positive news to me!
Now go and enjoy your Christmas!

donna
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Admiral

What wonderful news Judy that they diagnosed your cancer to be in such an early stage! That is so important. I really don't understand what your oncologist meant about not knowing how chemotherapy effects older people (because I've just never heard anything such as that and now that, as I say "we're in the trade" I've met an awful lot of people with breast cancer of all stages and all ages). Since Fran doesn't have breast cancer, I only know what I've heard from other breast cancer survivors. More than several are much older than I believe you are, had chemo and haven't had a problem for years! You may well want to research what your oncologist said on WEB MD or on the American Cancer Society website.

Also, is it within your means (not only financial but all other facets as well) to go to M.D. Anderson in Texas? M.D. Anderson is the #1 rated cancer center .... BY ONCOLOGISTS! I have a good friend who is in the medical profession and contracted melanoma that spread throughout his body. He was so bad by the time he was diagnosed that he figured, "Well, this is the last act." That was over three years ago. He goes back and forth to M.D. Anderson for treatment and he feels that EVERYONE who can, witthout exception, should go there for treatment. He stresses he's in the profession but he couldn't believe how far ahead they were in so many areas with treatments, especially experimental ones, that are not only proving extremely successful but also of which many oncologists aren't even aware. He used the term "lightyears ahead." Now all I am relating to you is what he said.

On the flip side, even though Fran was diagnosed Stage 4 with Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia and Small Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, she elected not to go out of the area to be treated because (a) her oncologist is young and therefore up on the latest treatments and (b) she adores him (which is probably even more important) and she has been in remission now for two years and I believe she is older than you and has had chemo. In any event, M.D. Anderson is another avenue you may wish to investigate.

Todd
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I think Todd give you some great advice. Take an active part in your treatment and don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Admiral

That's so much better that it's stage 2. My prayers are with you.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012