Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Default republican celebs on crystal

i note in 'cruise news' that a number of republican icons are going on a crystal cruise to discuss how to reshape their party. is this ironic, or what? why don't they cruise on a mass-market cruise instead of a luxury line? maybe their outlook would be different; but, then again, that seems to be the problem with the party. comments, though i'm ready to be flamed. maybe they have the idea that crystal IS a mass-market line.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I think sometimes the "upper crust" gets disconnected from the real world.

The auto industry's chief executives flying to Washington, D.C. in private jets, for example........

Old December 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Dave The Wave..indicated that they could have chartered the "Minnow of the Seas" for far less and they could invite the CEO's of the Detroit Big 3 and DTW would host a reception onboard about the merits of purchasing a Honda from him

I think this brings new meaning to the term "think tank"
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Admiral

the "Regal Princess" has been chartered by a group from Florida to attend the President Elect festivities ..that's actually a smart move because it's cheaper then flying and paying overprice hotel rooms
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, anyone who doesn't acknowlege that the Republican party tends to have a higher income bracket is being disingenuous. By the same token, telling anyone what they should do (as in take a different cruise ship) just because you may not agree with their political philosophy seems un-American in terms of respecting people's rights to make their own political decisions.

Just as implying it is "more American" to take the Regal Empress to Washington would be stereotyping. The Regal Empress is going to Washington because it is available - not for any other philo-theo-political reasons.

Anyway - what a lot people probably do NOT know is that the Holland America Oosterdam played a HUGE role in getting Sarah Palin on the Republican ticket.

The ship was carrying a group of right-wing think tankers to Alaska, including some FOX commentators and former Republican analysts and strategists. Sarah met them at the dock in Juneau, and for most of them it was their first meeting with her. She wined and dined them until the ship sailed almost at midnight, and it is said she made quite an impression.

Later, some of these same people recommended her to McCain, who had only met her once previously at a governors' conference.

That story comes from the New Yorker Magazine.

The Insiders
How John McCain came to pick Sarah Palin.

On June 18, 2007, the first group disembarked in Juneau from the Holland America Line’s M.S. Oosterdam, and went to the governor’s mansion, a white wooden Colonial house with six two-story columns, for lunch. The contingent featured three of The Weekly Standard ’s top writers: William Kristol, the magazine’s Washington-based editor, who is also an Op-Ed columnist for the Times and a regular commentator on “Fox News Sunday”; Fred Barnes, the magazine’s executive editor and the co-host of “The Beltway Boys,” a political talk show on Fox News; and Michael Gerson, the former chief speechwriter for President Bush and a Washington Post columnist.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Old December 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Paul..I didn't imply any such thing..it just makes practical $$$ & sense (and alot more fun) to cruise to the event...it's alot cheaper then the packages (air/hotel) that are being advertise