Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Customer service, what's that?

Recently, I have made the rounds online and on the phone, trying to get some answers to problems, from a variety of companies. If you wondered who that was screaming in the distance, that was me

On GMA this weekend they mentioned that Dell and others, are now charging $12.95, a month, to assure you, that, you will be speaking to someone in the good old US of A. see.......http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6458598

One site I registered on, you had to receive a confirmation email before you can post. No problem, I waited and waited, and never got one. When I went to the site, I welcomed me by name, but it would not allow me to post..I emailed them of the probelm and, I am waiting again...oy

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Oh Sister, you are sooooo preaching to the choir. I was calling around for health insurance quotes the other day and called BCBS, and wanted to know more about what they had to offer and the guy was just giving me tons of attitude.. these companies want you to spend thousands of dollars with them, and entrust your health and well being to them, while they basically abuse you and treat you as though you are an interruption to their day. I subscribed to Dish Network for over 10 years and discovered that they had been overbilling me for a very long time. I asked them to credit my account the money that was over billed, they of course refused. Then I went and switched to Direct TV which I have been very happy with. But when I called into Dish to cancel my service, the guy told me I was an idiot, because I was never going to get a better deal with Direct TV and was pretty obnoxious about the whole thing and then he put me on hold and disconnected me, so I had to call back again, and be abused by another one of their "professionals" and for the next year they kept calling and trying to get me to come back to Dish. I explained the reasons why I left and eventually they did end up sending me check for what they owed me in the first place. If that had just taken care of that in the first place, I would still be with them.

I don't know where they find these people, but perhaps they can find a job that limits their contact with customers.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

That's because "corporate policy" and "customer service" mix just like "water" and "oil".
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Beenie, the type people you mentioned sometimes DO find jobs that are limited in their contact with average folks---their called Congress men / women and CEO's !!
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Oh Sister, you are sooooo preaching to the choir. I was calling around for health insurance quotes the other day and called BCBS, and wanted to know more about what they had to offer and the guy was just giving me tons of attitude.. these companies want you to spend thousands of dollars with them, and entrust your health and well being to them, while they basically abuse you and treat you as though you are an interruption to their day. I subscribed to Dish Network for over 10 years and discovered that they had been overbilling me for a very long time. I asked them to credit my account the money that was over billed, they of course refused. Then I went and switched to Direct TV which I have been very happy with. But when I called into Dish to cancel my service, the guy told me I was an idiot, because I was never going to get a better deal with Direct TV and was pretty obnoxious about the whole thing and then he put me on hold and disconnected me, so I had to call back again, and be abused by another one of their "professionals" and for the next year they kept calling and trying to get me to come back to Dish. I explained the reasons why I left and eventually they did end up sending me check for what they owed me in the first place. If that had just taken care of that in the first place, I would still be with them.

I don't know where they find these people, but perhaps they can find a job that limits their contact with customers.
Beenie,

This is sort of spooky.

Your story is almost the same as mine, however the players are reversed. DirecTV were the ones who over billed me and their "customer service" reps were rude. Dish has been great for me. I also receive almost weekly mailings from DirecTV and a call about four times a year.

I guess it depends on who you end up with.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Among the many items on my list when it comes to bad customer service are self checkouts.

I refuse to use them and whenever possible try and avoid stores that offer them. Number one, if a retailer doesn't think enough of my business to ring up and bag my purchase and say, "Thank-You" then they don't need my business. I once said that to a corporate big shot of a large nationwide chain that was at a grand opening with a lot of other "suits" when he suggested I avail myself of the new "service." Much to his extreme embarrassment, a several other shoppers echoed the sentiment.

Todd
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Listen up you whiny malcontents :

Marj is the customer service manager for a large appliance store in our local area. Many of her callers have a chip on their shoulder when they call. They demand immediate service, consider malfunctioning icemakers a major emergency, wont take any suggestions on how to recitify the situation, refuse to call the appliance manufacturer or extended warranty company when it is required to get a service authorization and demand free repairs on appliances that have long since expired warranties. Her favorites are those who immediately threaten law suits over the malfunctioning appliance. She sweetly tells them, "Have your lawyer contact us and we will refer him to ours." She then hangs up on them ever so politely.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Admiral

We used to have the verizon business package; after "suffering" for years, with many problems with our services, I switched to another provider. Boy the elusive "customer service" reps were crawling out of the woodwork to get our acct back; what fun I had to tell them ALL the reasons why (nicely of course) we were no longer doing business with them.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:43 AM
First Mate

I agree that it's difficult to reach customer service reps sometimes. But, because I work with the public, I see many, many people who are impatient if they have to wait more than three minutes for my attention. Even though I may be tied up with another person.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Oh Doug, your Marj must have the patience of Job. I cannot imagine. I have had lots of issues with my own appliances. As a matter of fact the only appliance I haven't had any issues with was the least expensive of them all. It is an over the range Convection/Microwave oven that I found on sale for a few hundred bucks at Lowes. D/H and I installed it ourselves and it has worked flawlessly. My dishwasher is nothing but trouble, the dishes are thoroughly abused and often come out dirtier after being washed (I had the service man out three times to look at it and it's still hosed) My Range is very nice and works great, but don't even think about running the self cleaning cycle as the exterior gets well over 500 degrees I can just see the kids walking past and setting their hands on it, OUCH!, My Fridge, oh boy, very nice, looks great, keeps everything cold, BUT the icemaker barely ever worked, and the interior walls are all developing spiderweb cracks and deteriorating rapidly. These appliances are all less than 5 years old. So if Marj happened to be the one I vented my frustrations to, please let her know I am sorry and I apologize

Seriously I really think a lot of the stuff on the market is junk and I pity any one who was to face a consumer who has gotten suckered into buying some of the junk that is out there.

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Admiral

BeenieWeenie,

If you are going to replace your dishwasher, I strongly recommend the Bosch. Best one we have EVER had. It takes longer but it doesn't have a heating element in the bottom (it heats the water as it comes in) so you can't heat plates but few do that anyway. You can even put your tupperware, etc. on the lower rack. The secret to them drying (which is the major complaint about the unit because no one ever bothers to read the directions) is you must keep a Jet Dry in it. The mechanics of the thing are fascinating and it has received a Consumer's Report Best Buy rating.

One review I read said their dishes come out actually looking like they've been polished. While I discounted that review it turned out it was, as the English say, "Spot On!"

Todd
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Todd I have heard good things about Bosch. I use jet dry in my current dishwasher and the only thing that slightly improves the issues is using a certain type of water softener salt helps a little. I don't need it to do much other than just wash dishes lol.

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Ehhh, going back to TRIPS original point. And I guess it was about "who you get" when calling any companies Help or Customer Service line.

One....when "service" is out shored there is a very good chance they dont understand me, and I don’t understand them when having "whatever conversation" regarding my problem

So for a premium you now can get someone that you can understand and they can understand you,,,, as they happen to live in the same country as you,,,thats shocking, that’s basic communication and customer service for free as far as I am concerned.

PERSONALLY, I WANT SOMEONE THAT CAN LISTEN AND REACT, not someone reading me a SCRIPT and if I happen to deviate from it..... is lost in how to react to my problem…and what should have taken a couple of minutes on the phone to resolve becomes half an hour or an hour and multiple phone calls.

Communication goes two ways, customer service and satisfaction goes one way. It is by going offshore some companies think they can deliver both cheaper, they cant.

So from the original article link,,they are now admitting if you want to communicate with a person that understands you, your accent, your problem,,,you now have to pay a premium for the luxury.

How bad is that :evil:

I wonder how many people just give in to the experience and think this is not worth the hassle or my time, raised blood pressure and just move on. I know I have,,again wrong
Old December 19th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Question.................Customer service, what's that?

Answer....................A thing of the past.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

My best (or worst story depending how you look at it)

I went to buy a blow up mattress at Target. Standing in front of the mattress section there was no price on one of the aerobeds. A store employee walked by me and I said "excuse me, is there anyway I can get a price on this bed" she looked right at me and said "sorry, I am on break" and just walked away. I think I hate target more than Walmart.

Never buy electronics at Target. If you return something you will more than likely need a birth certificate and passport on top of your receipt. Then, they will think about taking it back. My wife has been blacklisted from returning things there. I have to do all the returning now.