Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Yeoman

Default Christmas Lights

Does your town or one nearby put up a light spectacle? I'm hoping to make it to Gatlinburg TN over the holidays. They do it up big!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Admiral

We have a great display in Huntsville:

http://www.hsvbg.org/events/gol.htm

We walked through before Thanksgiving and will be driving through when my folks visit next week.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Re: Christmas Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Does your town or one nearby put up a light spectacle? I'm hoping to make it to Gatlinburg TN over the holidays. They do it up big!
Dude! I live an hour away from Gatlinburg and have season passes to Dollywood. If you want to see lights, go to Dollywood. MILLIONS of lights. And it's beautiful (but expensive for a one day ticket...sadly...)

There is also have a spectacular display off of I40 http://knoxvilletennesseerealestateb...as-light-show/

Yes, we do it big in TN.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
Admiral

There is a house out here that does the lights in time to music. They have a radio station you use to hear the music so it doesn't bother the neighbors. Also the news does the 12 Daves of Christmas. They send a reporter out to find 12 of the best houses in the area. http://cbs13.com/12daves/ This site has videos of each house. I have been to day number one The Sassman Farm 3446 Point Pleasant Road, Elk Grove it's pretty cool and the owners are so nice.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Admiral

I found this one on youtube. I love this song.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Christmas Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
Dude! I live an hour away from Gatlinburg and have season passes to Dollywood. If you want to see lights, go to Dollywood. MILLIONS of lights. And it's beautiful (but expensive for a one day ticket...sadly...)
Awsome! I live about an hour away too! Have you been this season?
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old December 21st, 2008, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

In Milwaukee we have the lights at Pere Marquette Park (with the official city CHRISTMAS tree.) Then there are the holiday lights at the Milwaukee County Zoo, and various other areas.

But one of the most special places is Candy Cane Lane.......an approximately 6 square block of Milwaukee on the southwest side that have put up Christmas and Hannukah lights for the past 20+ years. They raise money for the MACC Fund (Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer) by accepting donations anywhere in the 6 square block area. They have raised millions for childhood cancer research. It is a residential area and all the homeowners participate.........whether Christian, Jewish or whatever.
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

WOW! those are some displays!
There is a family just outside of Montreal that does the house lights to their own radio station every year. You can sit in your car and enjoy the show, it is wonderful! I haven't been yet this year, but I will!

donna
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

BeenTravelin',

And we live about an hour and a half away from Gatlinburgh about halfway between Morristown and Johnson City heading toward theTri-cities area. There is another phenomenal display at the Bristol Motor Speedway. There is an admission charge but it can be worth it, not to mention it's the only time of the year that the public is allowed to drive on the track (not really up on the track but the apron as the track itself is so steeply banked).

What I love about my little town is they have a wonderful light display where they convert the entire municipal park to light displays. It's of course not on any scale as Gatlinburg's but it is the grandest light display I've ever seen a municipality outside of a very high tourist area produce. The Recreation Department folks assisted by the Street Department and others spend almost a month getting it done.

Todd
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
BeenTravelin',

And we live about an hour and a half away from Gatlinburgh about halfway between Morristown and Johnson City heading toward theTri-cities area. There is another phenomenal display at the Bristol Motor Speedway. There is an admission charge but it can be worth it, not to mention it's the only time of the year that the public is allowed to drive on the track (not really up on the track but the apron as the track itself is so steeply banked).

What I love about my little town is they have a wonderful light display where they convert the entire municipal park to light displays. It's of course not on any scale as Gatlinburg's but it is the grandest light display I've ever seen a municipality outside of a very high tourist area produce. The Recreation Department folks assisted by the Street Department and others spend almost a month getting it done.

Todd
I knew about the Bristol Motor Speedway too. Sadly, in four years of college at ETSU I never saw it!!!!

BeenTravelin' I have not been to Dollywood this Christmas season, but did go in the summer/fall.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Well, if you count a lighted tree in the town square and one in the gazebo big...then sure!

When we were in Tenn last week there was on of those houses with the timed lights to music broadcast via radio...it was amazing.
If you live near Cleveland, TN it is right beside the Peerless Church of God
(which I am asumming is on Peerless St). It is handy cuz you can park in the church parking lot and not be in the way of traffic. All you do is drive in, park, tune in your radio and turn off your headlights.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
BeenTravelin' I have not been to Dollywood this Christmas season, but did go in the summer/fall.
I've been to Gatlinburg an Pigeon Forge dozens of times and never been to Dollywood. Was going to take my daughter there for our company picnic last year, but my leg got pierced by a forklift. We've lived about 3 miles from the Biltmore House for 20 years now and I've still never been there either. It's wierd how you neglect the things in your own backyard when your trying to see the rest of the world.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess