Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Anyone get a Surprise Cruise for Christmas??

Any cruisemates get blessed with a surprise for Christmas?

If not, what gift did you get that you loved?

And what gift is getting returned tomorrow?

And what gift are you keeping to regift?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Kuki, not a surprise but we did sign up for a Baltic cruise the end of May. We view these cruises as a gift to each other. Part of the fun is discussing where we want to go and planning what we want to see. It would be difficult to keep it a secret. Merry Christmas. Mike
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Admiral

I'm still waiting for the phone call from the local mall that had the "Win a Free Cruise" contest. Drawing was yesterday, but last year they didn't call till 2 days after Christmas and I won!!
Hoping for a repeat performance!

p.s. I got a great new camera for Christmas!!

donna
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Jake and I decided that our up coming cruise would be our Christmas gift to each other this year. Not a surprise, but that kind of gift I'll take any day.

Phyll
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Admiral

My wife and I usually don't get each other anything special for Christmas. We usually have a cruise booked for Jan ( leaving in a couple of
weeks ) so that's about as good as it can get for a Christmas gift.
And too, we live close to our son and his family so we have dinner and spend time with them.
So, all in all we have a wonderful Christmas without buying some thing or other for each other.

Old December 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

My best gift this year is having our daughter, Jackie, and her husband living back in Pittsburgh! My second fav is an Ipod....my first one. I think it will be great for our upcoming cruise (two weeks from today!)
I have a couple of clothing items that are going back.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Admiral

We, too, are going on a cruise in 2 weeks so we didn't buy for each other but our favorite gift is having our family together, including DH 83 y/o mother, having our first picture taken with our 2 grandchildren together and getting a 4 generation picture taken. We are so Blessed! Merry Christmas to everyone!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Admiral

No surprises today! But no complaints. We just spent the day here at home with the kids. I made turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn and we ate chocolate chip cookies until we were miserable.

This was one of the rare holidays where we are not on the road visiting distant relatives or hosting the masses for dinner. The kids were so happy to just be able to stay home and play with all the good stuff that Santa brought them. The kids even enjoyed our special Christmas dinner together, I got out the special china that we got as a wedding gift from d/h's parents, and we haven't used it since we broke the news to d/h's parents over dinner one night that we were expecting Sleeping Beauty and that was almost 7 years ago. This was a very nice day and truly was my most favorite part of the holiday!

The only return was a telescope I brough d/s, it was broken and the store I bought it at was closeby and open today. D/s begged me to return it so he could see the stars tonight, so I did.

I don't re-gift and it is simply because I don't trust my memory. It's a running joke in my Mom's family because she is so forgetful she has been known to re-gift things to the person who originally gave it to her a year later . Also she always forgets where she hides presents and you might get something she bought you 20 or 30 years ago...She's still looking for my leg warmers and the soundtrack to Flashdance !!!

I only got one present this year but it's been a hit with all of us, the hot tub is wonderful!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Since I am alone I got no gifts to return or re-gift. I did get to work today and spend time with the wonderful people that I serve. I was able to enjoy Christmas through their eyes. So many of my clients enjoy the simplest of gifts and it was fun to have them tell me about their presents. So no big surprises for me but a pleasant day anyway.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old December 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Since we will be traveling extremely light on our sailing trip to the BVI's in March a new ipod was the favorite gift.
We were going to regift a jar of candy but I ate it.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Admiral

No cruise here, but Santa was good. Marj gave me a Bose Sound Dock for my I pod. I presented her with a black diamond and tanzanite pendant and a Marie Osmond doll. Got a variety of gifts from the kids, my mother and sister. Lots of Barnes and Noble and Borders gift cards.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

My favorite gift was a Bamix hand blender. It's so powerful it crushes ice. So I can make Margaritas without pulling out the blender.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

I was spoiled with many many things, whether it be a garmon of my own, digital ornaments, digital key chain, bling ( very preeety bling) calanders, perfume, linnens, CD's, gift certificates, just so much...............BUT BY FAR

the greatest gift I had was to spend it with my loved ones and my family. I prayed for a last holiday with my mother, that prayer was answered, and we sure made it a very happy, peaceful, kind day.

No cruises or land trips for now as I wont leave my mother when she is so ill, yes she is "stable" right now, but it is a stable unstable, and as much as she pesters us to go, this can wait for a time in the future. Right now, its her first. I appreciate and it truly is a gift, to have my moments with her and my sister.
Old December 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Amen Delft.
4 years ago I had the privilege of spending one last Christmas with my own mother, and never before, or since, has a Christmas been so special.
I will treasure it always.

donna
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Admiral

As DH is still on call...and still working crazy hours, we have yet to open our presents. Maybe tonight...

Thus far the best thing I have received is a K-cup machine from my sister and her husband.
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I don't usually exchange gifts at Christmas, however this year we got each other a 52" SamSung flat screen T.V., and the BIG unit to put it in. (It even has a spot to display my multiple 24 karet gold, plastic, ships on a stick) We're enjoying that, along with the cruise we have booked on Feb 1st. Life is GOOD!

Ken
"SKY"
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Jen??????????

Quote:
Thus far the best thing I have received is a K-cup machine from my sister and her husband

OK what is a K-cup machine? It sounds like something that makes bras for well endowed women?

Old December 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Admiral

BeenieWeenie,

Sorry but you win the boobie prize with that guess. Alright, all together now everybody ............. G R O A N!.

It is a coffee/tea/hot chocolate maker. It's called a K-cup machine because it uses individually sealed cups of whatever...various coffees, teas or hotchocolate. When it's all set up and prepped, if you want a cup of coffee, you open the top, drop in a K-cup without taking off the top or anything, close the lid, press what ever button you desire (5, 8 or 10 oz cup size) and in about thirty seconds you have your coffee.

If you figure out the cost of each pre made K-cup, it's about 50 cents a cup which I think is very extravagant. The model we received has a generic K-cup that comes with it into which you put your own ground coffee which is what I do. Another nice feature is that our unit, a Keurig Fran got from QVC for about $150 bucks, has three heat settings for the water but I haven't investigated that part yet.

I am what I refer to as a "blue collar coffee purist" which means I just love Dunkin' Donuts coffee or that type, anyway. I neither like coffee such as that served at Starbucks nor would I pay such an absurd amount for a cup of coffee. With this machine and depending upon the blend of coffee you use, you can achieve either result or anything in between. I use Eight O'clock and grind it myself.

I define the machine as a very useful toy that turns out a magnificent cup of whatever. Don't know yet if it will ever turn out to be that practical for someone who drinks at least six, twenty ounce cups per day, but hey, when you get to my age and my condition, why not splurge?

Todd
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Ya - I like that it has the refillable cup, with which we can grind and use the coffees of our choice, and tea leaves.

The one we have is the one from QVC I am sure...as my sister is a QVC addict. It will work well for us as other than Sat and Sun our schedules are so different we are always just trying to make one or two cups in our big coffee maker...plus they sell the cup things at the gift shop my niece and daughter work at, they sell them at the lowest price I have seen, plus when you factor in my family discount of 15%, it brings the cost down to pretty reasonable.
Old December 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Jen,

Really cheap K-Cups plus an added 15% family discount? You can always adopt me and then tell me where the store is located. So what if I'm probably old enough to be your father.

Todd
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
(It even has a spot to display my multiple 24 karet gold, plastic, ships on a stick)Ken
"SKY"
Yay for displays that show cruise love!

No surprise cruises but did find one I am seriously considering next October out of Rome on the Navigator of the Seas.

I was spoiled again this year (usually am) and although I received nothing I have to take back and am thoroughly happy with everything I got, I could do Christmas without presents.

I loved everything about Christmas~shiny paper and lights, bows, hot chocolate, telling my patients Merry Christmas at work on Christmas Eve and seeing the happiness and love returned from them, my tree, my Christmas smelling (banana nut bread, apple, cinnamon, etc.) candles.

My favorite thing about Christmas is my family. We're close and loud and totally Southern and have a blast together at holidays. I look so forward to the time I get to spend with them. I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday as much as I did mine!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

No surprises here,but was blessed by having family here with us.
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Well, we finally had a chance to unwrap our christmas gifts last night.

No cruise, tho' I am the proud owner of a new toilet seat. A gift(?) from my dh. Which has totally annoyed me.
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJen

No cruise, tho' I am the proud owner of a new toilet seat. A gift(?) from my dh. Which has totally annoyed me.
Jen, you are indeed a patient kind person, any one only "annoyed" by a toilet seat on Christmas is a saint.............I am not saying it has to be bling or anything..........me I would prefere a home cooked meal over that.........how ever on the bright side.....I suggest giving it to hubby with a new brush and cleaner.........and instructions on how to clean it for the next year!
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Wow, that was not a good choice on your hubby's part. I'm not entirely sure what he was thinking, that's a home hold item, not a personal gift.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Oh Jen, I am so sorry. I don't have any witty suggestions aside from explaining to him how getting a toilet seat for Christmas makes you feel and perhaps giving him a mulligan and an opportunity for a do-over.

In case my meaning is lost. Tell him to get a grip, and you're going to give him the opportunity to redeem himself so he'd better get his rear in gear and get to a proper store and put some thought and love in to the selection of a proper Christmas gift fitting for a women who deserves better than a flippin toilet seat.

Or on the other hand, this might be an opportunity to re-gift... when is his birthday?

Old December 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Sweetly point out to Mr Left Brain (obviously) that not only did his gift hurt you, but hurts all of us males who do the right thing for their DWs and GFs on the holidays............then smash it over his head, preferably on the left side. Maybe that will awake the obviously dormant right brain.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Well, his birthday is in Sept.
Oh, I wish he would do a "mulligan", but he won't.
I am just glad that he has basically worked non-stop so I haven't had to try to be pleasant. Maybe in a day or two I will calm down.
I should just be grateful....
I guess today I will put it on. You would have thought that between him and my son one them would have actually put the new one on. Some one carried it upstairs, but I see they just sat it behind the hamper...
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Well Girlfriend, I understand. If I was closer, I would come by and pick you up and off we'd go to the local day spa... no matter how hard you would protest. But since you re quite a distance away, why don't you print out my picture from my avatar. Then cut out the body of one the models in Vogue and paste my head on it . Then take me (OK well your cut out of me) and go have a pedicure, manicure and massage and a nice lunch on d/h