Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Carnival employee falls overboard

This Carnival entertainer fell overboard, as his coworkers watched.... A tragic story...

http://news.aol.com/article/cruise-s...892x1201072648

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I was just reading about this, how horrible!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Why can't they just extend a net around the perimeter of the ship while it's underway?

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Thomas,

If someone is going to do something stupid, they'll do it with or without a net. From the latest I read (and again, this is "news" and not confirmed) the man wasn't a crew member but an entertainer who was taking photographs. Evidently he tried to get a unique vantage and his desire for a good picture overrode his common sense.

Tragic? Absolutely! Easily avoidable? Of course. That's the same thing as (on another thread) the youngster talking on his cell phone to his dad, dropping the phone and then, while looking for it, being killed when his car plowed into a tree. That too was tragic .... and just as avoidable.

Todd
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Yikes!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Thomas,

If someone is going to do something stupid, they'll do it with or without a net. From the latest I read (and again, this is "news" and not confirmed) the man wasn't a crew member but an entertainer who was taking photographs. Evidently he tried to get a unique vantage and his desire for a good picture overrode his common sense.

Tragic? Absolutely! Easily avoidable? Of course. That's the same thing as (on another thread) the youngster talking on his cell phone to his dad, dropping the phone and then, while looking for it, being killed when his car plowed into a tree. That too was tragic .... and just as avoidable.

Todd
Most of the time the victim is drunk and walking on the railing showing off or being idiotic. Extending a net around the perimeter of the ship parallel to the water about 8 ft. out would catch most of these fools. It would also catch the occasional spouse who is pushed.

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Thomas,

Of course your suggestion is possible but let's look at it in another light.

Probably less than ten die each year from going overboard from a CLIA associated cruise ship. During that same period, somewhere in the neighborhood of over thirteen MILLION passengers sailed on those ships.

To put a viable net system that could survive the many types of weather not to mention the occaisional storm even a cruise ship encounters would probably cost well in excess of 1,000,000 dollars per vessel.

A hugely larger percentage jump or fall from bridges throughout this country. Over sixty people alone jump from the Golden Gate every year and because of that extreme number, they are going to put a net costing millions of dollars around that bridge. But to my knowledge, that is the only bridge in the entire country with such a protective system planned.

Using your justification, we would be far better served to install nets under or around virtually every single highway bridge in this country; place netting around every building over two stories tall that has balconies or terraces; place crossing barriers at every single rail crossing in the country and this, is just to name a few of probably literally thousands of protective ideas that could be done that would protect an equal or even far greater percentage ratio of people.

In light of the above, I think you'll agree with me while yes, such a system is possible, it is just not feasible.

Todd

Todd